+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anybody here know anything about coins?

Does anybody here know anything about coins?

My dad sent me this really cool silver dollar for Christmas. No I'm not gonna run out and sell it, I don't even know if it's worth anything, so far I figure it just gave me yet another reason to finally go over to the bank & get a bankbox.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are anyone on this board who know anything about coins or collect them & can tell me about this silver dollar?
    I was trying to look it up on the internet but I havent found it, maybe it's a fake cracker-jack silver dollar for all I know, but I figured with all the people who wander through the FORT all the time, there's GOTTA Be someone who knows about coins?

:-)

Is there?
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    My dad sent me this really cool silver dollar for Christmas. No I'm not gonna run out and sell it, I don't even know if it's worth anything, so far I figure it just gave me yet another reason to finally go over to the bank & get a bankbox.

Anyway, I was wondering if there are anyone on this board who know anything about coins or collect them & can tell me about this silver dollar?
    I was trying to look it up on the internet but I havent found it, maybe it's a fake cracker-jack silver dollar for all I know, but I figured with all the people who wander through the FORT all the time, there's GOTTA Be someone who knows about coins?

:-)

Is there?
    Wyndemere, I don't know anything about coins, but my dad does. Maybe you could tell me a little more about the coin and I'll ask him about it. What year was it issued? What kind of picture is on it? Etc

I haven't done anything with coins for a long time, but post here what exactly it is. Pictures on the front and back, year, markings, etc.

The coin is a silver dollar from 1851. On one side of the coin there is a picture of an indian head with a big feather head dress that says "Liberty" on it.
    The other side has a "wreath" kind of, it says 1 dollar in the middle & the year 1851. I can't really see any markings on it except for few little black markings from "wear & tear" I suppose, over the years.

I dont see any dents or scratches or anything, although there's a mark on there that looks like a fingerprint, not quite sure of those are teeny scratches or just dirt (I think it's just dirt).

I really went digging deep, because coins are a hobby of my father-in-law and his side of my husbands family in general. Our kids get the new silver dollars every Christmas from their greatgrandmother, too

Well, might not be exciting news (maybe the opposite, sorry) but this is what I found that fits your description (http://www.coinsite.com/Srch.asp?sp-a=00020e5f-sp00000000&sp-f=iso-8859-1&sp-q=1851+silver+dollar&sp-p=phrase :

Question: Hi! I'm not very good at this computer stuff, and I've made myself crosseyed trying to dig up information on an 1851 silver dollar that I have. Perhaps you can help. It's a simple design with an Indian on one side. "Liberty" is stamped into his headdress. The opposite side shows "1 DOLLAR" and the date in a wreath. "THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA" is shown on both sides. There's no mint marking that I can find.

This is an altered coin. That is, a coin that has been changed to look like something else. The coin is really a 1952 Dominican Republic Peso that has been altered by grounding off the appropriate areas of the coin and re-engraving it to appear as if it is a United States Coin.

The genuine U.S. 1851 Dollar was designed by Christian Gobrecht and features Liberty seated on rock, a shield in front of her with the words LIBERTY. In her left hand is a pole with a Liberty Cap on top. The reverse shows an eagle with outstretched wings, the words UNITED STATES OF AMERICA around and ONE DOL. below.
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I inherited a bunch of old coins from my grandpa. I took them to a coin shop, and they sent me to the library and told me which books each one would be in. I found every single one and what they were worth. Actually, some were paper bills, but all were listed. Good luck, I hope you end up a begillionaire!

Tirlittan, thanks for the info!:-) So it IS a crackerjack silver dollar lol. That's cool though, coins & history of coins are actually pretty interesting, who would've guessed

Very Proud Grandpa! LoneStarSpur's Avatar
    The only thing I know about coins is that I've lost way too many of them in slots machines. And plan to lose some more in them this weekend.

Sorry for the bad joke.

-Randy
    'And it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive.'
    ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    Tirlittan, thanks for the info!:-) So it IS a crackerjack silver dollar lol. That's cool though, coins & history of coins are actually pretty interesting, who would've guessed

Don't just jump on the first thought or "proof" that the coin is a crackerjack. Many people do that and end up losing a good thing that may be an actual real-deal.
    I work in a bank, and believe me...what people think "OOhhh it's only worth a quarter," benefits MY safe deposit box. I snatch up the old coins and dollars from the tellers all the time.

Just look into it more if you're interested in knowing. Sometimes those crackerjack coins, or antique things are even worth something BECAUSE they're a crackerjack. (if that makes sense to you)

/Just my crackerjack .02 cents.
    All things beautiful do not have to be full of color to be noticed; in
    life that which is unnoticed has the most power.

HERE is a front and back of a REAL 1851 silver dollar.

The wreath design on yours sounds like it's been taken from an 1851 gold dollar instead.

Unfortunately, the only US silver dollar minted in 1851 is the one shown in the first link above.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast