+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: as it turns out, ebay is my sister-in-law’s junkyard, and home of all my x-mas gifts

I once had this annoying ex-boyfriend that wouldn't leave me alone. He'd email me all the freaking time the lamest stuff to get my attention. Most of it was incredibly weird and didn't make sense so I just deleted it. One day, he sent me this odd poem that didn't make sense and I'm not sure if it was supposed to be funny or sweet. I forwarded it to my friend to laugh about it and she emailed me back saying he was a pathetic loser that needs to be medicated ASAP. Or so she thought. She actually managed to click on his email address in the body and forwarded the forward to HIM.

I should mention that this is the same friend he tried to hit on while we were together and she turned him down. From that day onward, she was a big catalyst in our breaking up. A good thing, since it turned out he had been cheating on me quite a bit.

The next few weeks the emails went fast and furious. Him vs. Us. It was a big old trainwreck that you couldn't look away from and no one seemed ready to block each other. Every issue from our entire relationship was aired out and my friend was quick to provide hilarious commentary. It did prove to be very therapeutic though.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

It ain't easy being green Wayner's Avatar
    That is too funny, Shazzer!

I also work for a multinational corporation. I don't have a name like "John Smith" or anything, but there used to be two other guys in the company with the same name. For a while, two of us worked in the same building. It was hell. I would often get his email, his snail mail, and calls from the lobby telling me my guest was waiting.

I once got a notice in the mail telling me that I was being sued. It wasn't until I opened it and read it that I realized it was for the other guy. He was embarrassed when I called him and told him about it.

The oddest occurrence I remember was that one day a head hunter called me. He started talking to me about all these job possibilities he'd been looking at on my behalf. And while they sounded like fabulous jobs, they weren't even in my field. I finally said "You think I'm the Wayne **** that's a manager don't you?" He said yes, that's exactly who he thought I was. When I informed him that he had just spent the last 5 minutes talking to the wrong guy, I thought he'd be embarrassed and flustered, but the guy clearly believes in never missing an opportunity. "Oh," he said "Well, are you in the market for a new job? What do you do?"

Shazz

Wow, what a bunch of crazy stories!

Mine isn't as interesting but I'll post it anyway. It happened right here at the FORT!
    One day, I received a PM from someone telling me that they were a fan, that they wished me luck and that I had a lot of talent and to keep up the good work!

To this day, I still laugh about it. It clearly was meant for someone else, so that means that someone in the FORT has a big fan!

Quote Originally Posted by Wayner
    I thought he'd be embarrassed and flustered, but the guy clearly believes in never missing an opportunity. "Oh," he said "Well, are you in the market for a new job? What do you do?"
    Now that's a professional
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Embarrassing true story--I was on the other side of one of these little mix ups. My husband has one of those phones that also work sort of like walkie-talkies (an annoying function I don't understand the purpose of). Anyway, he was sending rude messages to his little sister who'd just gotten a new phone with the same capability (very mature, I know). This is important because her number was the one it would redial....

We were in the car and his seatbelt pressed the redial button. Meanwhile, we're having a conversation about his family. Those of you who know me know that I don't exactly admire these people. Things were said.

Later, the other in-law calls my husband to tell him that he'd dialed his sister's phone in walkie-talkie mode and all of the evil harpies had huddled over the phone listening to every word of our conversation broadcast by speaker phone. X infinity

It took several seasons before they spoke to us again, which would have been a nice break, except that I felt guilty that I was actually at fault that time. I suppose I should have learned my lesson and never gossiped about anyone behind their back again...and for the purpose of giving this tale a moral, I will say that I've never done anything like that since
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

spegs
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Spegs, oh no!

Redial is a blessing and a curse at the same time. So many people don't know to use number lock on their cell phones to avoid that kind of thing. I learned about it when I accidentally called my brother at 2:00 AM when I was out partying. Thank God it was my brother and not my boss!
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.
    - Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzer
    OR did you get an amazingly crappy Christmas gift this year?
    I feel for you, I get those every year too. Stuff I do not want to take out of the box, yet when I receive them, I smile and say "soo cute". I can't really say I don't like that stuff, because I know for a fact that those people who give thoe things to me, love that kind of stuff and have curio cabinets after curio cabinets in their living rooms... I am just not a fan of crystalline figurines or porcelain figurines, or anything alike. Or this hideous carved "art" candle I got one year. I had a "burn your ugly candle today" party for it... I also have started to recycle those "decorative" items to my niece who is 5, she loves them, so end good all good
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Horrid SIL's are terrible.....

Mine has stopped giving me gifts, mainly because I told my brother, "you know, y'all don't have a whole lot of money, don't feel you need to spend anything on me this year." (that or the fact that maybe she's realized that neither of us appreciate the other's gifts) Like the first Christmas, I gave her a GAP sweater in her favorite color, and a basket of BBW stuff in her favorite flavor. She gave me a movie about Bartok the Bat....now, I love the Anastasia movie, but the one character I hated was....you guessed it, Bartok....but I chalked it up to attempt......then I find out she "donated" my gifts to her to Goodwill. The next year I try again, with my brother's help and give her a gift certificate and some books she wanted. She again gave away the gifts I gave her.....my gift? The movie "Heathers".....the comment with it "Saw this movie and it reminded me of you." Oh and a shirt, four sizes too big....(Since I didn't see me gaining a whole lot of weight or getting pregnant any time soon, I did return that for a zebra striped pillow that I love). She didn't attend Christmas this year....

As for the e-mail thing.....I had that happen once when I was in college....I was corresponding with my boy of the time (who was a few states away) what exactly we wanted to do the next time we saw each other......well...he went out of town and his dad was on his computer (decided to clean the cache and found them..).....read every last e-mail.....it was an interesting conversation from what I heard....I know they kind of gave me the fish eye from then on out.....
    I'm a little too rough, but it's too late to be good

Two stories nowhere near as funny or embarrassing as the rest of y'all's:
    Once I was trying to forward a press release, via email, to my boss. At the top of it I typed, to him, "Do we care?". Unfortunately, I hid reply instead of forward.
    I'm on a list-serv of reporters and you have to be very careful with the reply-all key. Someone posted a job opening for an editorial writer at one paper, and a friend of mine -- who works at that paper -- hit "reply all" with "so should I apply?" He had to send out a subsequent email cursing the "reply all" function.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast