+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canadian residents.. stock up on Dog food!

Rox
    riding through Paris with the warm wind in my hair

Canadian residents.. stock up on Dog food!

Ban on beef imports chews into pet food

By PATRICK BRETHOUR
    From Monday's Globe and Mail

Calgary — Shelves are starting to empty at pet stores across Canada as the ban on U.S. beef imports starts to crimp supplies of pet food.

At least half the country's dog and cat food comes from the United States, and there are already episodes of panic buying of some specialty foods.

"Some people want to come in and buy 10 bags," said Mark Reynolds, who owns two pet-supply stores in the Calgary area called Paws Pet Food. Mr. Reynolds put a two-bag limit in place on Saturday — although he has decided against boosting prices — and is now crossing his fingers that the supplies in his warehouse will be enough to see him and his customers through the import ban.

Pet foods, even those derived from pigs or chickens, cannot be shipped from the United States under restrictions imposed by Canada following the discovery last month of a case of bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE or mad-cow disease) in Washington state.

.............................http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in542336.shtml
    I ran off and bought 2 large bags of dog food.. that will last a few months.

Anyone else stocking up?
    "The fastest way to succeed is to look as if you're playing by somebody else's rules, while quietly playing by your own."

Good thing I don't live in Canada. My two beasts go through a 30 pound bag in about a week and a half.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Excuse me for being ignorant, but can't dogs eat regular food in an emergency? All dogs I know love leftovers.

Yeah, you could actually feed dogs straight up raw chicken(bones included). There are several different raw diets for pets. I know a dog trainer whose dogs only get raw chicken...bones and all. The bones are only harmful when they are cooked...thats when they become brittle and can choke a dog.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Actually, when you read ,Canadian residents.. stock up on Dog food!. it could seem like they have a "strange" diet. But that's not the case!

Rox
    riding through Paris with the warm wind in my hair
    Quote Originally Posted by eldee
    Actually, when you read ,Canadian residents.. stock up on Dog food!. it could seem like they have a "strange" diet. But that's not the case!
    HA! thats ironic,.. because one of the reasons they are banning the pet food is people eat it (poor people, that is), and the government doesn't want to take any chances.

Star.. I know, there are people trying to buy major amounts. There are Canadian made brands, but none sold where I live.

Yes, dogs can eat regular food, but mine have been raised on dry so I have no desire to change now. If you do feed 'regular' food, you are supposed only feed raw, etc. blech.
    "The fastest way to succeed is to look as if you're playing by somebody else's rules, while quietly playing by your own."

Quote Originally Posted by astrogirl_2100
    Excuse me for being ignorant, but can't dogs eat regular food in an emergency? All dogs I know love leftovers.

When I was kid, we had a dog that we used to give her table scraps sometimes. Well, "sometimes" became more & more frequent, basically every evening. It got to the point that she would not eat her dog food & would only eat table scraps. Just from that experience, I don't think it's a good idea to give dogs leftovers for extended periods of time.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by mrdobolina
    The bones are only harmful when they are cooked...thats when they become brittle and can choke a dog.
    I always wondered why they can munch down birds/squirrels they catch with no problems, that explains it then

Table scraps make most of the dogs somewhat diarrhetic, or they at least will have nasty smelly poop, and it's not fun to pick up. Well, it's never fun to pick up, but some dry dog foods at least produce solid less smelly donuts to pick up... That would be my main concern, it's all about me, not my dog really...
    ps. This is just my opinion in the matter.

Am I crazy, or did I first read the subject as "stuck up on Dog food" ????
    I know, stir crazy, snow day.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

I live in Calgary and have cats, so as soon as I heard that news story I headed over to Petland. The shelves were being cleared rather quickly. I couldn't get my usual type of cat cookies and the girl at the store told me that they had nothing in stock and nothing coming in. I've also heard that it shouldn't last more than a month, and so I think I'm covered. It's not just beef kinds of pet food they're banning, it's all of them because even the chicken, etc. can have beef byproducts in it apparently.
    Darn Kangaroos!! I am le tired.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast