+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Anybody know of any small business grants?

Anybody know of any small business grants?

Gonna throw this out there in case anybody knows of anything. My husband started his own business last summer and while business was slow he built decks to start out but then business picked up but most of the money has been going back into the business and we've pretty much depleted our savings to live off of. We were hoping to get some kind of small business grant to help get us through until business picks up. Anybody know of anything?

Beware of scams regarding grants. Many sites will claim to 'help' you get grant monies for your small business, but you can find all the same information for free at the Small Business Administration website.

Lots of good resources here: http://www.sba.gov/

Hope this helps. Good luck with your business.

Karna68, has your husband tried your local Chamber of Commerce yet? Good luck!

Karna, I don't know what state you're in, but in addition to any federal resources Bumpkin noted, many states do have Small Business Administration offices, as well as other programs to help small, family-owned businesses. Good luck!
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    Karna, I don't know what state you're in, but in addition to any federal resources Bumpkin noted, many states do have Small Business Administration offices, as well as other programs to help small, family-owned businesses. Good luck!
    My husband had great luck with SBA. He did all the paperwork, etc, so I don't know too much about the process but you should definitely contact them
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Thanks guys!

Karna, you should put your name as the business owner. Women are considered a minority, & you can get tax breaks & other benefits by doing this. My in-laws did it with their business, that's the only reason I know about it.
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by holly71
    Karna, you should put your name as the business owner. Women are considered a minority, & you can get tax breaks & other benefits by doing this. My in-laws did it with their business, that's the only reason I know about it.
    Thanks but I think it's already too late for that. Hubby's name is on the vendor's license, etc.

Karna - having minority business is an excellent point. I'm not sure what type of business you are in, but the opportunties are excellent for DBEs.

When my company provides services, we're usually given a DBE (Disadvantaged Business Enterprise) goal of 15 to 25%. Which in some cases, means we have to give away that much of our contract to a DBE. It's always a bonus if the firm actually knows how to provide the goods/services they are supposedly in business to do

You could probably get your vendor's license changed pretty easily. And you'd be eligible for a wider range of grants as well.

+ Reply to Thread