+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Year's Traditions

Re: New Year's Traditions

We had our Hoppin' John but this year I cheated and did canned black-eyed peas. I also don't care for greens so I always use cabbage. My theory is that it's still green like money. I'll be making the mimosas around lunchtime. Oh, and I didn't put the dime in (I hadn't heard of that before reading it here either) because I just know one of us would either swallow it or bite down on it and break a tooth.

And if what you do on NY day is what you will do all year, then I'm right on target. Today so far I've cooked, cleaned, did laundry, cleaned the litter box, and spent time at Fort .
    Have you done your Green deed for the day?

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3261389;
    We had our Hoppin' John but this year I cheated and did canned black-eyed peas. I also don't care for greens so I always use cabbage. My theory is that it's still green like money. I'll be making the mimosas around lunchtime. Oh, and I didn't put the dime in (I hadn't heard of that before reading it here either) because I just know one of us would either swallow it or bite down on it and break a tooth.

And if what you do on NY day is what you will do all year, then I'm right on target. Today so far I've cooked, cleaned, did laundry, cleaned the litter box, and spent time at Fort .
    Archie, the original tradition started with cabbage in Europe. When the European settlers started immigrating to the American South, they couldn't get cabbage and substituted collards, turnips, mustard and evem poke sallet greens.

I need to get busy as I still have a few things to unpack that we put off because of the arrival of the holidays. So I'm going to be going through some boxes in the basement later today. I guess that means, I'll spend the year in the basement.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan;3261389;

I hope that applies to Mother Nature as well- we had a relatively wet summer and fall, and a lot of precipitation last month in all forms, but today there isn't a cloud in the sky and it's gorgeous. It's also freezing- 21 degrees- so maybe if she only keeps the sun around...

I did some work (lesson prep stuff -- I'm an independent contractor, so it can't hurt to ensure work for the year!), but we're also leaving on a weekend getaway to the Queen Mary in Long Beach this afternoon. And it's sunny and warm. So I can expect 2009 to have work, play, and great weather . . .
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I woke up this morning with the flu. I hope this is not an indicator of what 2009 has in store for me.
    CYA

Oh, Bunny - I hope you get well soon! Take good care of yourself.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

Thanks SR5R......I'm wrapped in a warm blanket procrastinating on going back to bed. I really want to but it's such a long walk all the way around the corner.
    Last edited by Bunny555; 01-01-2009 at 02:03 PM. Reason: Spelling counts even when you're sick.
    CYA

Hmmm - let's put a positive spin on this... maybe it means you'll be pampering yourself all year.
    Count your blessings!

I had homemade vegetable beef soup. Also had a 2-3 hr long nap. I hope this is how my year goes! Happy New Year everyone!

a jumble of useless facts gracie's Avatar

Last night they had one of the silliest traditions I've seen at Port Clinton (on Lake Erie). The dropping of the giant walleye. It was this 12 foot fish that they let fall at midnight. I guess it's no sillier than a giant ball, but it sure looked silly.
    There is no reason for any individual to have a computer in his home. -Ken Olsen

+ Reply to Thread
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast