+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Year's Traditions

Re: New Year's Traditions

We'll be sipping some bubbly at midnight to ring in 2009. I always eat black-eyed peas and pork on New Year's. This year, Mr. Doxie has to work, but I'm planning on a Mimosa or two while I cook the peas and make Hoppin' John. We'll have that and some smoked pork chops when he gets home! Happy New Year.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

New Year's day will be full of looking for the coin in the Spanakopita in the Nerd House!
    mmmmm... I can't wait.
    ~There is no way to Happiness. Happiness is the way.~

MRD

Friends from Florida were passing through and brought us a gallon of the best BBQ sauce on the planet from a resturant in our former hometown. Last time they did this, hubby canned it in pint jars and literally parcelled it out to us, almost to the point of meauring out what we were allowed to have. He wanted to make it last.

So I bought ribs today and it's mild enough that we are going to "Q" tomorrow and have ribs with our peas and collards. And I'm going to have a LOT of sauce. As much as I want and Mr. Stingy can just keep his mouth shut!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I don't know where I heard or read about it, but on New Year's Eve, one is supposed to get all the trash out of the house. Also all the laundry should be done. No garbage in the wastebaskets, no laundry in the hampers. Ring in the new year like that and you will have good luck. Don't know if it is true or not, but I took the sheets off the bed today (and put my new sheets on the bed!) and tossed them in the hamper. Later on I thought about it, and they are now in the dryer!

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

You know, I never heard this but this is something I've always done! I had the house cleaned today, all the trash is outside, laundry is done, even managed to get the car washed. I just really like starting the new year off nice and clean. Not sure if it works, but the joy of having a clean house and freshly laundered sheets is always a treat in my book!

Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;3261163;
    I don't know where I heard or read about it, but on New Year's Eve, one is supposed to get all the trash out of the house. Also all the laundry should be done. No garbage in the wastebaskets, no laundry in the hampers. Ring in the new year like that and you will have good luck. Don't know if it is true or not, but I took the sheets off the bed today (and put my new sheets on the bed!) and tossed them in the hamper. Later on I thought about it, and they are now in the dryer!

Hmmm... I think that is a great idea, but it is going to have to wait until next year! Three hours left until 2009 and there is NO way I can get the laundry done before then.

Happy New Year!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I did laundry today! I didn't really think of tradition, but the clean undies were ending at the same time as 2008!
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

I've got my black eyed peas soaking and my greens and ham hocks ready to take to work to cook in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3261049;
    Friends from Florida were passing through and brought us a gallon of the best BBQ sauce on the planet from a resturant in our former hometown. Last time they did this, hubby canned it in pint jars and literally parcelled it out to us, almost to the point of meauring out what we were allowed to have. He wanted to make it last.

So I bought ribs today and it's mild enough that we are going to "Q" tomorrow and have ribs with our peas and collards. And I'm going to have a LOT of sauce. As much as I want and Mr. Stingy can just keep his mouth shut!
    You know, it's funny that you mention this. We're partial to the NC vinegar-based sauce, which has worked out well over the last few years since my sister is a Dukie. Trouble is, she graduates this year which will put an end to the twice-yearly stock up trips! Whenever my parents drove her to/from school, they'd pick up several bottles of some amazing sauce! I'm starting to fear for what will happen from here on out, except that I hope they beg for order forms when they drive down again, because nothing compares. Literally. There is no place in the North that even comes close.

Either way, the mental image of Mister Rosiedog doling out the sauce in pint jars is completely believable... and so too are the related emotions. Just.... another.... driplet... of sauce...

MRD

And see, our problem is that we HATE the Carolina vinegar based sauces. And we don't like sweet sauce either or mustard sauce which are the choices we have here.

The sauce from Florida does have vinegar, but it's rich and thick and also nice and tomato-y and not a lot of vinegar. We do Kraft BBQ sauce and doctor it when we don't have this sauce.

Well I need to get my peas a cooking. They soaked last night and I cheated this year and bought canned collards as I hate, hate, hate, washing and tearing them fresh.

I have always heard that whatever you do on NYD is what you will be doing all year and what went with that was, that was why you started out with the empty hampers and trash cans because you didn't want to have to do laundry and chores all year long (which I never understood because I still have to do that stuff throughout the year. I dont' own 365 pairs of undies).
    I also know people that work on NYD just because of that superstition. They want to know that they will have jobs all year, so they work. Of course ,the people I knew that did this owned their own businesses, so
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast