+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Year's Traditions

Re: New Year's Traditions

Time or not - looks like you just did!
    I don't have any New Years' traditions. Usually go to bed at my normal 10:00 on NYE and spend New Years' day reading, or doing housework. As I mentioned in another thread, this isn't going to be a celebration year for me, but I'm hoping you all party hearty for me!

By the way, nice to see you checking in!
    Last edited by SR5Rfan; 12-28-2008 at 01:30 AM.
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

MRD

I'm convinced NYE is for the young anyway. We prefer to drink at home and those younguns couldn't keep up with us anyway. It's the YEARS of experience we have at it.

Or the fact we have to go to bed early.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I always shake money at midnight-it supposedly helps you stay in money throughout the year. We'll see again if it works.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

famita, does it matter if it's coins or is it supposed to be wads of bills? Hey, I'll try it!

Maybe I'll shake my money maker!

My Milwaukee-Polish family tradition is to eat pickled herring (creamed or not) (yuck!), pickled pigs feet (yuck!), raw beef with onions on cocktail rye (oh hell no!), with cheap sparkling wine which they'd all call "Champagne."

Hubby and I this year will have a pretty decent French sparkling blanc-de-noirs (but not with the fancy French price thanks to Trader Joe's!), which we had on Thanksgiving and really liked, with truffle cheese, dark chocolate, and some beer bread, veggies, and fruit.
    Last edited by Ellen; 12-30-2008 at 10:26 PM.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

MRD

Me and my equally gauche husband will be drinking "champagne" at home, getting the black eyed peas soaking overnight and probably heading to bed early as he plans on working on Thur. Oh and we'll probably break out that summer sausage log he got for Christmas from Hickory Farms. Good times? You betcha!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Yum! Mr. Lane and I will be over with the Ho-Ho's and Slim Jims, ok?

New Years is overrated. No traditions here.

K, we've switched years, wake me in the morning!

Hey guys, I re-read my post and it didn't come out the way I'd meant. I missed some transitions, so my meaning/intent was unclear. I really do cherish the memories of our family Polish New Year's Eves at home as a kid -- even though I didn't develop a taste for some of the traditional foods, and developed some allergies to others, yet kept the ones I like, as did my sibs. We'd tease and laugh at each others' likes and dislikes. And it was a huge deal as a little kid to have a splash of "champagne" in the "grown-up glasses"! I guess there should have been a transition between paragraphs to the effect of some aspects of the holiday have changed over the years, but the fun (even through various time-zone midnight calls/text messages as our family are in three different time zones now) and good wishes are still there.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

The black-eyed peas that are to be eaten to bring good fortune remind me of what I can remember of my Mom's Italian New Years meal. It was always a pork product, usually sausage (meant to represent the fat of the land) always eaten with lentils (which symbolize good luck or money). In recent years I've made a big pot of pork and lentil soup that stays on the stove all day for whoever is around to enjoy.
    CYA

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast