+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Year's Traditions

Quote Originally Posted by gabriel;2191147;
    A few years back a wonderful woman (who was my very close friend,and was like an adopted gramma) and I would always get together new Years eve and toast the new year and she always made sure we had herring on a cracker in one hand and a buck in the other. Of course since I knew her family and my friend Mel was her son we'd all get together for the holidays and birthdays etc., and havea rollicking good time. (Not to mention boozy)
    That sounds like a really nice tradition gabriel. I got the herring part, but the buck? I'm picturing some money, a deer, a person..... Which buck is your buck?

Attachment 18976Attachment 18977Attachment 18978Attachment 18979Attachment 18980
    Last edited by misskitty; 01-08-2007 at 10:50 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by misskitty;2191425;
    That sounds like a really nice tradition gabriel. I got the herring part, but the buck? I'm picturing some money, a deer, a person..... Which buck is your buck?

Attachment 18976Attachment 18977Attachment 18978Attachment 18979Attachment 18980
    I think the buck was for prosperity. I should have type a DOLLAR bill. And please tell me what's the herring part? So I eat herring on a cracker and?
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Cats will find you irresistible.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2191459;
    Guess I walked into that one. a typical Sue Ann Nivens come back
    Not mine! - they dislike herring!
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Quote Originally Posted by cricketeen;2191459;
    Kitty's too! Good one cricketeen

I had some black eye peas today. I also made a mess of greens for everybody at work. I made some mustard greens and they went real quick so I went back to the store and bought some turnip greens and some more mustard greens. My staff loved them. I also had a couple of little ribs and some kraut. It was good.

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott;2192041;
    I had some black eye peas today. I also made a mess of greens for everybody at work. I made some mustard greens and they went real quick so I went back to the store and bought some turnip greens and some more mustard greens. My staff loved them. I also had a couple of little ribs and some kraut. It was good.
    Ooooh, that makes me wish I worked for you!!!! Sounds absolutely delicious!

I made a big batch of black-eyed peas, collards, ham, and rice and made sure each of our family members got some to eat for the New Year. I figure maybe one of us will be lucky this year!

MRD
    We just finished ours. Got a late start due to the ER trip today.

I always make my grandmothers fried chicken. I remember now why I only make it once a year on New Years. Frying chicken IS. A. PAIN. IN. THE. BUTT.

I have finally after all these years discovered why I can't make pancakes, fry eggs and why I hate to fry chicken. I have NO patience to stand there and "watch" something cook. Now, as long as I'm doing something (stirring, chopping, mixing, etc.) then I love it. But just standing there watching grease sizzle, no fun. But the chicken was fantastic as always despite my impatience. (can't fail with grandma's recipe)

But the best part of the meal??? The hot buttered cornbread. There is NOTHING on earth that tastes like a piece of fresh, hot cornbread with butter and my husband makes it the best.

The entire meal was good, but the cornbread was my favorite. I may go have another piece before bed later. MMMMMM, heaven on earth is what it tasted like.

Unk, you are a good boss to do that for your workers. And I'm so glad to hear they liked the greens. I prefer collards, but also like mustard and turnip greens too.

Now just hoping that those peas and greens work this year!
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I think this is the first year in 10+ years that our family didn't gather for Chinese Food tonight. My Dad is still sick and my twin sinister is looking a bit green around the gills as well.

Oh well, sleeping all day and napping is a good new tradition!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast