+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: New Year's Traditions

We really don't have any in my family other than our traditional southern New Year's meal. At dinner over at a friend's house tonight though we were talking about this and I mentioned the grape one which I'd heard before, there's also something about standing an egg on it's end?? Not really sure what it was but one of my girlfriends does that. The guys I was having dinner with told me that their mothers put pennies on the window cills to bring prosperity in the new year. I hadn't heard that one before myself but found it interesting.

All of you guys/gals crack me up!

Libra, if I put quarters on my window sill, will that bring me more prosperity? I need a new car!

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    My ex had this tradition that you hide silver (in my unfortunate case it was only dimes and nickels) in the snow. If you find it before the snow melts you will have a prosperous new year. Fortunately we have had little snow in the last few years, unfortunately I have not had any winning lottery tickets. :deadhorse
    Sheldon Cooper: Woman, you're playing with forces beyond your ken

Penny: Yeah, well your Ken can kiss my Barbie.

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    I revived this thread strictly because of the very first post from eldee!!!!

Never in my life have I heard of any of those traditions before!!! They are funny as hell though! Guess I've got to go dig out my suitcase since I want to have some good travel this year!

Has anyone else ever heard of these or does anyone have anything else that might be interesting?
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I've heard you're to wear red underwear for good luck! Hmmm. Well that leaves out Brittany Spears, doesn't it. She doesn't wear any ....

We usually go out for Chinese food because everyone's tired of turkey and cooking but not eating. But with the flu, no'body feels much like it.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Being a southern boy I'll have to eat some black eye peas. Living in the north for so many years it's ribs & kraut for dinner. We sell ribs & kraut at the restaurant for New Year's. This year we're cooking about 400 lbs. of ribs.

I'll have what Unk's having, along with some collard greens. The greens represent money, and the black eyed peas are for luck. I've always heard you should eat 365 blackeyes, one for each day. Maybe that's why I'm not lucky every day...no way I could eat that many peas, and don't even want to think about later that night! I'll also make some cornbread, just because it goes with the other stuff.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

A few years back a wonderful woman (who was my very close friend,and was like an adopted gramma) and I would always get together new Years eve and toast the new year and she always made sure we had herring on a cracker in one hand and a buck in the other. Of course since I knew her family and my friend Mel was her son we'd all get together for the holidays and birthdays etc., and havea rollicking good time. (Not to mention boozy)
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

In my own little world where all things are Idol......
    We do the blackeyed peas and cornbread. No one in my family eats the greens so we don't have those.

queenb, I would have no problem eating 365 blackeyed peas...I love them!! I like mine kinda smushy and I crumble up the cornbread and pour the peas and juice on top of it and mix it up and eat it!!!
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

I love my peas too, but I don't know, it seems to me 365 would be half a gallon or something. I've never actually checked
    Project: count 365 peas to see how much that really is.
    I have found the Truth and it doesn't make sense.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast