+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Directv or Dish Network??

Directv or Dish Network??

Ok, I need once again. Directv does not have local channels here in my area and will not until possibly July of 2004. It kills me to not be able to TIVO Survivor, CSI, extreme makeover, well, you get the picture. Dish Network already has local channels and are offering a really good deal to switch to them.

Does anyone have Dish?? Are they as good as Directv?? I NEED LOCAL CHANNELS!!!! There was nothing worse that having to hold the antenna in just the right spot so that I could see Rupert! I can't even get NBC or ABC with the antenna. I will stop whinning now, just wondering if anyone had any input for me.

I have both and actually prefer Dish Network.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Wow - you have both?? Maybe I should do that. Then I could cancel later the one I like the least. (Only after Directv gets locals).

Quote Originally Posted by Susie
    Wow - you have both?? Maybe I should do that. Then I could cancel later the one I like the least. (Only after Directv gets locals).
    We actually had to get both for reasons to complicated to get into here. But, I have a slight preference for Dishnetwork. Be forewarned, my sister got Directv a year ago because they said that they were going to have locals within three months. That was a year ago and she's still waiting. Don't know why it's taking them so long.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Susie--

Where do you live?? DirecTv seems to have all of the major cities covered. I am surprised to find someone outside of their coverage!

I have had both DISH and DirecTv. I totally prefer DirecTv, because their offerings are better, their equipment is better, and they have NFL Sunday Ticket. But thats just me.

Do you already have a DirecTiVo unit? Or do you have a "standalone" TiVo unit? DISH also offers a TiVo-like unit for their service, but I hear that the unit isn't all that great(breaks down easily, etc).

My advice would be to get all the details....find out for sure if DirecTv is going to offer your locals soon, find out about DISH's TiVo offering, Find out if you can get the "national network feeds" from DirecTv, and also find out if you can put an external antenna on your dish(some company makes an antenna that you can attach to your dish...if the dish is on the roof, you should get a better signal).

Its too bad that the FTC denied DISH and DirecTv's application for a merger. That woulda been one badass TV service.

FYI: I am sort of an Audio/Visual geek when it comes to these things. I love my satellite TV, and have a good deal of knowledge when it comes to the equipment, and the service.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

Something about getting the satelite launched into space, yada yada yada!! Who cares. I guess I am making the switch, I need the local channels before Survivor All Stars comes on!

SG-

I would love to know why you have BOTH! That sounds like a dream come true to me! I have always said, that if I had the money and got into an HDTV, I would go totally nuts, get both DirecTv HDTV, and DISH, and probably Comcast Cable for Locals in HDTV. I'm kind of a junkie that way.

I hope I don't double post. Mr. Dobolina I was posting when you did, but I live in Little Rock, Arkansas and Directv has been about to offer locals here for a year!! First it was coming in July 2003. Then by the end of 2003, and now they say anytime between now and July 2004. It is driving me crazy.

I have tried to stick it out. If I get the antenna attached to my satellite, can I then TIVO the local channels? I currently have the Directv Tivo with the receiver in it.

I thought they added Little Rock already?

I would guess that you CAN'T TiVo the local channels coming in over an antenna. But I am not positive. I have 2 Ultimate TV/DirecTv receivers. It is the precursor to DirecTiVo, and, IMHO, is way better than the TiVo service. Anyway, the only signal that my units will record is whatever comes down from the satellite. Luckily, I live in an area where locals are provided.

I would also bet that, when DirecTv DOES get your locals running, you might have to have another dish installed...the elliptical, 3 lnb dish that "looks at" all of their satellites at once. If DISH's offer is good enough, and they will do the installations, and perhaps provide their TiVo-type technolgy box, I would say go with DISH.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I have DirecTV and love it. Without it I could not get the NFL Sunday ticket and I love my Tivo WAY too much to try anything else.

We had friends who got Dish and they switched back to DirecTV within 6 months, but I can't recall why...

I thought they had local channels everywhere now too. I wonder what is taking them so long?
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast