+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Directv or Dish Network??

Hey Susie--

Check out DirecTv.com. Click on "Programming" at the top, then click on "Local Channels". Towards the bottom of that page, there is a green hyperlink that says "click here to see if you qualify" This will let you enter your address and zipcode to see if you are eligible to receive ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX feeds from NY and LA.

Good luck. I know its a hassle. I went through all this rigamarole a while ago...and I am also trying to get my Dad and his wife onto Chicago locals....but they live outside of the FCC area for Chicago. :rolleyes

Edited for spelling and punctuation.
    "You don't own a TV?!? What's all your furniture pointed at?" Joey Tribianni

It's not who you are underneath, but what you do that defines you.

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    You know what else I think you can do is to tell them that you travel with your dish. My father was traveling around in an RV for a year and he was able to get whatever local channel he wanted. I think he got ABC East and West coast, etc... which was great for him!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

We had DirecTV for a while, before we moved to Florida. We liked it alright. Except that we found that there was usually 200 channels of nothing worth watching instead of the 50 or so we get on Cable. We mainly got it because with our cable package, we don't get MTV, E!, Food Network, Comedy Central, The WB, UPN, and a couple of others that I really like.

But at the time, they didn't offer local channels. And we didn't have TiVo. I might like it better now.

We get HBO, Cinemax, and Showtime on our cable, though, and it would be expensive as heck to get them on DTV.

I have Comcast cable at the moment and I was going to get Direct TV w/Tivo but they did not offer local channels on my area either. They said it was comming by the middle of December 03 but nadda at the moment. They totally wanted me to sign up and assured me the local channels will be available soon. What a rip if you can't get any local channels. Plus I just purchased a 51" HDTV for my gf and Comcast does not offer HD capabilities at this time, but they will be soon to keep up with the technology.
    I am just waiting now. I think they all suck!
    leave the gun...take the canolis - The Godfather

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I have DirecTV and love it. It's cheaper than our cable and we have to pay for 5 boxes and it's STILL cheaper. Our cable (Cablevision) stinks.

We actually first switched because Cablevision didn't carry the YES network to watch Yankee games, but it ended up being much better, with little or no service interruption for cheaper. Go figure!

No experience with Dish Network, but love my DirecTV

I tried to qualify for the local channels, it was a big NO go. I just called the local satellite company that I bought my equipment from and the antenna I need to pick up the local channels will cost $129.00!!!!! I can switch to DISH for free, with 3 room hookups and a DVR, plus 3 months free service. Which probably means that I have to sign a 6 year deal, and give a blood sample plus finger prints! Mind boggling!!!

I guess I might switch - my husband will kill me if he doesn't like Dish Network. He loves Directv and never watches the local channels. I drive him crazy!

FORT Fan
    Northeast Mississippi, sitting by the lake...
    I moved a couple months ago to a location without cable service, so I have had Dish Network for the last couple months. I enjoy it very much so far.

My package includes two receivers with the top 100 channels, and since I was able to commit to the two year contract, I have the PVR feature at no extra cost per month. I have had fun with that since I am able to record up to 100 hours of programs to watch at my convenience. I have become a Sci Fi and TVLand channel addict.

My service did not include local channels, but with an antenna, I can pick up CBS, NBC, Fox, and PBS.

I am not one to use all the extra sports and music channels, but I do enjoy most all of the others included.

I do encourage you to ask specific questions about all extra charges. Even though I am happy with my service(especially their customer service) and though I read the contract before signing anything, I overlooked some of the additional monthly charges at first.

I now realize that there is a set fee for the channel package, plus there are monthly rental/service type charges per reciever. Still, once I got over my confusion/slight sticker shock, I think I am getting my money's worth.

My sister has Direct TV and seems to like it well enough, but I can tell you for sure that the Dish Network has worked out great for me.
    Just take a breath and relax...everything's going to be just fine...

I had Directv and hated it. Any little change in the weather would make the picture go wonky. Plus the service was terrible! But that's just my opinion

I have the Dish TiVO wannabe and I love it. We've never had a problem that wasn't fixed over the phone within a few minutes of it happening.
    We had Directv for a while (no TiVO thing), we only got it because they merged with Primestar which is what we had. I found the customer service to be so bad that I switched to Dish for that reason alone.

We havent had cable in over 10 years as we can't getit here. I do know that my Brother in law and his wife have cable and pay a lot more than we do and they do not have a TiVO gizmo. (The do have HBO though )

My mom and sister just got Direct TV (No Tivo) and seem happy with it.

All in all, I'm on your side, I HAVE to have my locals
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by karna68
    I had Directv and hated it. Any little change in the weather would make the picture go wonky. Plus the service was terrible! But that's just my opinion
    That's odd! I have DirecTV and didn't lose cable until well into Hurricane Isabel! And it was back before it was over while our cable was completely out!
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast