+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maybe you had to be there...

Maybe you had to be there...

My friends and I aren't particularly affectionate with one another. We all love each other to death, but we never hug, we never exchange gifts with one another, we never say things like "I'll always be there for you.", etc. Frankly, it just isn't in our personalities. It almost seems fake to act that way in our minds. So when one of our friends was having a baby shower a few years ago, my best friend and I had a conversation on the ride there about how we were going to have to oooh and ahh at stupid crap we had no real interest in. We made a deal that neither of us would call out the other for the fake manner in which we were expected to act that afternoon. We sealed it with "And let us never speak of it again.", shamelessly stolen from an episode of the Simpsons. From that point on, every time we were in a situation where one of us was going to have to be "that person" in front of the others, "let us never speak of it again" was our customary phrase.

Also, now whenever my boyfriend and I get into a spat, he can end it with one phrase: "But I'm a ninja." We were arguing about something stupid one time, and I was getting really pissed. I was all set to go off on one of my rants, but he looked at me and said "Bu-bu-but I'm a ninja!" I don't know why he said it, but I couldn't stop laughing. Fight over. It works every single time now.

So here's what I want to know: what stupid traditions do you have with friends and loved ones? I don't mean the sweet "We always go to her favorite jazz joint every year on Arbor Day" ones. I want the toasts you have to make before each shot, the inside jokes that have made their way into your lives, the ones that you find hilarious no matter how much time has passed. I'm bored today. Take pity on me.

We call ourselves "The Hokey Family". Just kind of the way we seem to bumble happily through life, enjoying the goofy stuff. In fact, for Christmas, my sister painted "Hokey Haus" on a birdhouse, and I painted "Das Hokey Haus" on a house sign.

We still laugh about "moss bugs" from when I was about 8 or so. I'd picked some of those large furry moss clumps off of fence posts on my way home from school, put them on the bed, changed clothes, and went out to play. Later I went back into the room and freaked out 'cause I had no idea what they were. Mom did the same. Dad was out of town, so she got the neighbor to come over and poke them with a stick and roll them over. Ummmm, these are just moss..... Oh, yeah, then I remembered.

I'm sure there are a few others that will be drug out for our hubbies in the next few days... I'll have to remember them to post.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

My buddies and I use a line from the movie "Gardens of Stone":

"Here's to us and those like us.....Damn few left!"

I can think of just a few:
    -- My sister once tried on a green shirt and turned to our mom and said, totally seriously, "doesn't it match my eyes" while inadvertently batting her eyelashes. So now anytime my mom and I try on anything blue, we say "doesn't it match my EYES" while batting eyelashes outrageously.
    -- My mom and sister spent several years living alone together after I went to college, and became like a bickering little married couple. I call them "familius dingbattius".
    -- I had a friend who was very suburban, and thought that I -- a pool-shooting, wisecracking southern mountain girl -- was just the strangest thing he'd ever met. He was always needling me about how weird I was. I told him he was like an anthropologist who comes across a creature he's never seen and says "Let's get a stick and poke it and see what it does." So now whenever he, or the friends who were around then, teases me I tell them they're "poking the creature."
    I don't think I can compete with AmandaG.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

OK.. A private joke among friends that has seeped into our everyday lives?

One night at our local sports bar, during a drunken conversation my best friend (recently dumped) speculated on the connection between a certain sex act (for hubby's benefit) and the cars wives drive.
    a wife who drives a corvette/benz/mercedez must keep her husband very satisfied.
    So the women started rhyming off the cars they drove:
    #1 - I drive an Explorer (meh, not bad)
    #2 - I drive an Intrepid ( hmm, ok)
    #3 - I drive a K car (everyone laughs)
    Me - I ride the bus ( everyone laughs uproariously and shoots sympathetic looks to my husband) Damn skippy he says.

So in our circle if you are 'riding the bus' you are SOL

(I hope that was PG13 enough)
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Duxxy :-)

Our internal joke is actually a person... I believe this started while chatting online with my husband (well it HAD to have started then because the joke was already in effect by the time we met lol) & we had finally exchanged pictures of one another (we chatted for over a year before we even knew what the other person looked like lol...pretty brave eh)

Anyways, we were commenting on each other's pictures & I said something like "yeah you look good, but you're no Fabio" or something to that degree. Ever since then we've been joking about me running off with Fabio if I ever get a chance & if we're ever in a spat, I'll go "Fine, I'll just run to Fabio, I've got my greencard now so I dont need ya anymore"...

It always bleeds over into group conversations as well, cause anytime someone'll mention Fabio in any context, me & hubby will just give each other that knowing look...

Anyways, so Fabio is the running internal joke in our relationship & it's definitely the "you had to be there" kinda joke cause reading what I typed right now, none of this sounds particularly funny taken out of context lol (Yet it is everytime he's brought up... :-))
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

These are funny. I have tons, but can only seem to remember one right now.

I was on a date in college. We were heading back home and waiting in a DC Metro station. We're standing there enjoying the company of one another and chatting when a drunk college student, standing right next to me btw, leans over the edge of the platform and vomits. Obviously disgusted by this incident, I kindly say to the vomiting student "Thanks for playing" (I know. A phrase used before. I know.)

So anyway. . . yea. Now I say that a lot.

That is definitely a "you had to be there moment".
    Who shot who in the what now?

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    ok, heres one the wife and I share, laying on the gunney in pre-op the Doc asks me if there is anything I do that makes the pain go away, I replied "whenever the wife leaves the room" (al Al Bundy from "Married with children") . The Doc didn't know what to say as the wife is there with me and she leans over and says "Thanks Al". also whenever she goes to the store and I ask her if she got my juice, (makes the aloe vera gel go down better) she says she forgot and I reply "thanks Peg" " Your welcome Al" thats our little joke . but I guess you had to be there
    Last edited by joeguy; 12-23-2003 at 07:54 PM.

I just remembered one that my hubby and I have. There may have been a "mean things" thread once, and I posted part of it there.
    His best friend really ticked me off one day and to get him back, I wrote a letter from an "attorney's office" claiming to represent a woman seeking child support from him. He was to report for a blood test. He went in for a surgical procedure, and awhile after he recovered, he received a letter from the attorney stating that a sample had been taken during that procedure and he was not responsible for the child. That letter ended with "And thank you for your cooperation!". His response (hubby was present at the time) was "But I didn't do anything!"

So anytime one of us is particularly unhelpful about something, we repeat those phrases.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

This is kinda silly but here goes:

My husband was driving us somewhere one day when a rabbit ran across the road right in front of us (not an uncommon occurrence where we live). It made me wonder why many rabbits often choose that exact moment to cross the road. I came to the conclusion that it must be an initiation of some sort with rabbits and proceeded to tell my husband my harebrained hypothesis.

I could just see all their rabbit buddies on the other side of the road goading them, "Wait for it... Wait for it..." then when a car approaches, "Okay! Go NOW!" Then the rabbit darts across the directly in front of the oncoming vehicle and if he makes it across he gets into the Cool Rabbit Club.

So now, every time a rabbit runs out in front of us now we always say "He's in the Club," or "He didn't make it into the Club," depending on the outcome.

Edited to say: Mind you this was waaaaay before the Geico commercial with the two squirrels.
    Last edited by VeeJay; 12-23-2003 at 09:35 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast