+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Maybe you had to be there...

FORT Fogey
    Well.. my freind Jenna gets a little weird after sports and says nonsensical things such as this-- "You know what? Its true! Flamingos really do only have one leg!" She said that dead seriously. Everytime Jenna tries to say anyone is stupid, I throw that incident right back at her.

There's an ongoing thing that's been passed down from a college buddy of mine...the friendship payment. Anytime we hadn't spoken in a while the phone would ring and all I'd get after hello is "your mother is late with your friendship payment again, this is a reminder call that it is now overdue". It's stuck with me over the years so that any time I haven't talked to or seen somebody in a while that's what I tell them (except now mom doesn't have to pay it, they do since we all have normal jobs). Always makes me laugh and normally gets a chuckle from them as well.

My daughter and I play "there's your boyfriend" a lot (involves pointing at unattractive people in public - kind of mean spirited, but we would never do it in a way that they knew they were being insulted).

In my family, if you do something to gain my mother's approval it means you "must be trying to get the PRIDE & JOY trophy this year".

My best friend and I have several little "things" that set us off into a fit of giggling, but they all seem to involve random items or events that no one else would understand. Once a Dorito sitting on top of a refrigerator made us so hysterical with laughter that I think we both may have wet our pants a little.

My husband and I had a situation a few years ago where we both ended up working an hour away from where we lived, so we commuted together every morning. We lived way out in a rural area and worked 50 miles away in a fairly big city. We both grew up in big cities so collectively the only thing we know about the country is what you learn on Sesame Street about farm animals.

As we drove by fields with lots of pretty cows I would wonder out loud why one field would be closed off and another chock full of cows. My husband would say something like I wonder if it's because blah di blah. Well after a year of this you just forget what is actual knowledge and what you made up and because you were an hour away from the rest of civilization, you never have anyone else to ask the question to and it's too trivial to ask someone at work even if you happened to remember it later. So one day we're driving along and my husband is saying something like "look at the cows, they're not in the closed off field because blahdiblah" and I agree sagely, but then it just hits us neither of us have any clue about cows and we just start laughing. Finally my husband says, "Well, I guess I could be 'fabulando' out my a**" which sounds so funny I'm laughing even though I don't know what it means. He explains that fabulando means talking in Latin. Pretty soon we've developed the phrase "fabulando ex ano" which means "talking out your a**" in Latinglish, which we use whenever one of us is pompously talking about something we know nothing about. (He's got a PhD, he's the king of this.)
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

This one is kind of special to me. Whenever somebody says something that you don't agree with, or surprises you, you know how sometimes you say "yeah right" or "no way", etc. Example: "I found 10 dollars today" response: " No way!" Well when we used to do this to mom as kids, she would come back wiht "Well, just call me a liar then." which used to piss us off. Of course , I started that with my kids too and it gets them going, heh, heh, heh. So the daughter came home one day, said she got in an argument with her boyfriend, used the old "Just call me a liar then" line and she said he went apes**t. The tradition moves on to another generation. Granny Sue would be so proud.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    My dad and I will make frequent references to obscure literature/movies/songs/TV shows and most of the time no one else knows what the hell we're talking about. It's way too early for me, so I can't think of anything specific, but it's kinda like having our own secret code that no one else knows.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

I have one line with my sister (actually we have several but this one is the easiest to explain). When my oldest was almost 3 years old my sister came to visit from out of state for the first time in 2 years, we were having such a good time at one point we were laughing ourselves senseless, when my daughter entered the room, got a very serious look on her face, held out her hand and said "Stop Mommy, Stop!" Of course we kept laughing and she kept repeating "stop mommy, stop". She then ran to my husband and told him "Stop Mommy!" So whenever we are laughing too hard or having too much fun, that is our line "stop mommy, stop"

With my family....this is a little sick but well that is my family some days. We had a dog named Casey. A very nice, friendly dog who loved everyone and greeted everyone. Casey due to an infection had an eye removed. So after that, and long after the nice old dog died; when one of us or a family friend would call and say we were coming by, my father's reply would be "Casey will be keeping an eye out for you" The other long running family joke was my younger sister over heard my parents talking and my father saying "I like the two you left behind better". When she asked what was left behind (when we moved from Detroit to the UP) my father answered "kids, we couldn't bring you all." She freaked....and was later told the truth. But that is still used "the two who were left behind would have done better" or some verision of it.

My husband and I have waaaaaay too many to comment on....our life is a running "you had to be there moment". But his faverate is comment I made on our honeymoon about parts of the Bahamamas. What I mean to say "it was like a thrid world country" came out "it was like a different country". So, when he thinks I've said something really odd, he responds with that.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    "Casey will be keeping an eye out for you"

FORT Fogey
    My best friends husband once "caught" his brother in the "act" when they lived together in college.. instead of walking out quickly he stammerd something about needing to get something from the room... sort of glued to the spot, finally his brother said " well, let's get it in go, this aint no show" so now when ever we all want to leave or people are being too slow to get going, one of us will say that line and it cracks us all up!

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    Unklescott, loved that one

Another one I just thought of was the old joke of "Moms out on the roof!" from Capricorn One, the movie, also was used in Nothern Exposure, the t.v. show. Our father and my brother and I had seen the movie Capricorn one and the scene where that joke is told is great. (good luck finding it today, the last two times I've seen the flick, it was cut down) Well one day My father tells my brother that he has to go in for a prostate exam but they just want to check it out cause its just a little larger than norm, My brother replies " So your not out on the roof ?!" and pops told him "nope, I'm not on the roof" ,of course our step mother had no idea what the heck they are talking about and dad told brother to explain it to her. of course her first comment was, "you guys sure talk funny".

Also when we went to Antarctica to work, we told them we didn't want to know if they "were on the roof", tell us afterwards, since we were isolated there and couldn't leave till aug. or sept.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast