+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Online Dating?

I've never met anyone off the internet, but I was a wingman for my friend who had met someone. He met her through a chatroom (which after seeing his debacle, I wouldn't recommend IMO), and she wasn't exactly who she said she was.

I have friends who do the Match.com thing and they seem to like it. I would say there is a huge difference between internet dating websites and chatrooms.

Feifer and Wyndemere, congrats on your love's. I, in no way meant to say that it couldn't happen, just was sharing the experience my buddy had. Of course, he jumped the gun a little and met this girl the next day...oops!

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    Of course, he jumped the gun a little and met this girl the next day...oops!
    Ahhh so I'm not crazy when I make the guys talk for a good long while before meeting up!! I also know things aren't going well when during the first conversation I get "so do you have any OTHER pictures"....yeah I know what ya mean and have a sick mind and send a baby picture of me running around in no more than a hat and my grandmother's high heels. Needless to say that tends to scare em off real good too.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Yep, I've dated men I've met online. None worked out. Some people tend to exaggerate. Ahem. I did meet someone from the Fort who turned out to be awesome, but .... too many miles between us.

eta: Ooops, I forgot about Dave. Sorry Dave. Met him here too. Great guy, the funniest comic standing, according to many. Yeah, Dave. He's dreamy.
    Last edited by J.D.; 12-22-2003 at 07:11 PM.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Never believe in those, never will do them.

well... i had this posted over at the tori amos thread, and i didn't feel like writing the whole thing out again, so...

OMG! i completely missed your post, sher. i am so sorry. well... after a couple of terrible relationships and a couple of years alone, i saw an ad for match.com and they had a free 14 day trial. so, i thought "what the hell? maybe i can at least meet some interesting people and get out of the house." i answered a couple of ads, and emailed a couple of guys a couple of times, but they all seemed really psycho - or at least on the verge. every week, matchmaker sends you an email with your 10 newest matches (that match your profile 80% or more). after i had emailed back and forth with a couple of these guys, i gave up and planned to cancel as soon as my trial period was up. a few days had passed and i had all but forgotten about the whole thing, when i get this email with my matches. it listed 10 guys with their user names and the first 3 lines of their profile "tell about yourself type of thing". anyway, i am scrolling through, and all of a sudden, i see "tori amos", and of course, i am all but shocked being as men don't really seem to get her. so, i was impressed that that not only did he like her, but that he liked her well enough to fit into the first 3 sentences of telling about himself. so, i sent a pretty generic email telling him that he had great taste in music and that i was really impressed. i really didn't think much of it. anyway, he emailed me back and wrote this really long, rather intriguing letter and left his phone number. so, i called him the next day, and i kid you not we were on the phone from 7pm until 3am. we just seemed to click. we met up the next day, and basically have been inseperable since. i moved about 2 hours away from my family and friends to be with him because he had a ft job with benefits and a house, and i was in an apt and between temp jobs, so it just made more sense. we've been together for about a year, and have been married since oct. 19 (sweetest's day! gag!) but, the kicker is that when we went into match.com to see what percent they had us as (because we had so much in common, we knew we had to be close to 100%), neither of us was listed as a match for the other. ??? i was telling this story to mikewhy from the dent and he just said, "see... tori works in mysterious ways." i thought that was really neat. anyway, that's how i met my wonderful hubby. sorry it was so long!
    "I'm selfish, impatient, and a little insecure. I make mistakes. I am out of control, and at times hard to handle, but if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best .. "

I've tried online dating, but I have never actually met with any of the men i was "dating" they were all states away. I found that at my school (yes I'm still in High School ... so none of this probably has anything to do with what you're saying) people were dating longdistant like that just because they were bored with their options from our town! But I finally met someone NOT from a different state (actually he goes to my school) and we've even gotten engaged (yes I'm young and foolish... I know)
    Missin Dave

My brother just got married to a wonderful girl he met on match.com, on the last day of his 14 day free trial. They have been together for 2 years now. They get along so well, it's amazing what a difference she's made in his life.
    Last week, Japanese scientists explaced... placed explosive detonators at the bottom of Lake Loch Ness to blow Nessie out of the water. Sir Godfrey of the Nessie Alliance summoned the help of Scotland's local wizards to cast a protective spell over the lake and its local residents and all those who seek for the peaceful existence of our underwater ally. ~ Napoleon Dynamite

Mr. (Not so) Perfect Snake 3D Champion, Bouncing Balls Champion

Re: Online Dating?

So I found this thread during my dinosaur excavation, and I'll just say I kind of am trying it. I mean, I don't have a profile set up or anything. But I did register for some site. Don't know what I'd put about myself though cause I don't think I'm that interesting. Plus I've never dated before in real life so my ideas are limited as well.

I've been on various sites on and off for the last 10 years. Met a few awesome guys and a few duds. It's hit or miss - just be sure the first meeting is in a public place and make it short in case you don't have any chemistry. Nothing worse than spending an evening with someone you can't wait to get away from. Good Luck to all!

Online dating...good times, good times. I actually haven't had a date at all in the last decade (seriously) but my last dates were all from online sources. The nicknames below are all courtesy of my dad, btw.

Michigan Steve: Good egg, met him on a site where I liked to play spades and hearts. Was a PhD candidate at Michigan State when we met. We're still friends...the romance part didn't work out. I spent 2 weeks with him in a place called Beaver Island (I know, right???) and it was clear after the first week of being in a place with no TV, no Internet, no nothing to do except eat, drink, walk along the lake, sleep and talk that we would drive each other insane eventually.

Internet Dan: The king of all my Internet romances. Met him at the same site as Michigan Steve. He was divorced and lived in Florida. He came to MT over Y2K New Year's. My grandpa liked him...my dad DID NOT. Internet Dan worked for a defense contractor and my did didn't believe some of the stuff he would say about his job (like details he couldn't divulge, etc). Now that I work for that same defense contractor, I can vouch for my dad that Internet Dan was not making things up - there really are limits to what you can speak about if you're working on a classified progam, especially black-box. Internet Dan and I broke up two weeks after I moved to Florida because he dumped me for the 25 year old neighbor girl (I was 32 at the time, he was 40). He is now married to her and will email me now and again "just to see how things are" and tell me how miserable his life is. Bwahahahahahahahaha!

Daktari: Met on Yahoo personals. Physician and professor at a college in Florida. He seemed quite full of himself in his personal ad, so much so that I had to inbox him to mention that if he was going to condescend to the rest of us, the least he could do was not make glaring grammatical errors. I don't remember what the error was, but it wasn't good. We had a laugh over it and eventually met for dinner. He was a nice guy...but totally hung up on his ex-wife who cheated on him with one of the doctors in his practice. No clue what he is doing. He wanted to do something with Doctors Without Borders (or a like organization) - maybe he did.

Felony Dave: Also met him via online spades site. He lived not far from my mom in SoCal - Mom liked him but thought he was scared of her. He really did have a drug conviction on his record from when we was 20 years old. We were both 34 at the time and I never saw him exhibit any behaviors that would lead me to believe he was still dealing, etc. He dumped me via text message after I was already on a flight to LAX to visit him for Easter, telling me he met someone else and was in love with her and not to come. He should've sent me the damn text before I got on the plane!! After I got home (I tearfully convinced a gate agent to let me dead-head back to Denver fee-free after showing her the text) and had my pity party the next day, he and I talked and he admitted there was no other girl, but that I should face facts that with his past, we probably weren't going to work out and that he told me not to come because he was scared. Whatevs. Last I heard, he is married and still living in SoCal.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast