+ Reply to Thread

Thread: exchanging gifts at work

exchanging gifts at work

Why is it that even after people have agreed NOT to exchange gifts at work, some do it anyway? I realize they're just being nice and all, but when someone gives me a gift and I have nothing to give them in return I feel like a big idiot...maybe next year I should get a few "just in case" gifts!

Anyone else have this come up at work?

I always keep a stack of Starbucks gift certificates in my desk for just such emergencies. That way if i don't need them i can use them myself after the holidays.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Mine isn't as much at work, cause nobody there seems to be overly interested, but I forever have acquaintances that out of the blue pop up with something and I've thought nothing about buying for them. I made a raid of just in case stuff this year at Big Lots...nicely priced boxes of holiday candy as well as some really nice candles in iron holders for $3 each. My mother is the queen of this sort of thing and does similar things with boxed candies and tins of cookies so this year I followed example and am prepared...just watch, I'll get to keep most of the just in case stuff now that I'm actually ready ahead of time. Guess that's the trick though, be sure you wouldn't mind keeping it yourself if you don't need to give it to anyone.

Another sign I am turning into my mother: she always keeps "hostess gifts" around to cover these situations. For some reason it's been the same gift for years - chocolate covered macadamia nuts. I guess it pleases a wide swath of the population. I get gift certificates to See's candy for the extra gifts you need - just like Mom taught me but if I had the boxes I'm afraid I'd break into them one night. And you can keep them for later in the year, Libra, they don't go bad.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

That's the thing hep, no worry about the chocolates going bad 'round here!! I take care of that JUST fine...reasons I normally don't buy that kind of thing, once it's here it's gone. Just couldn't resist the fact that Big Lots marked everything down really early this year (last week already 50% off!)...before they had done that I was happy with the candles, but the evil clearance sale thing got me good so I stocked up.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I'm one of the guilty ones who agrees not to exchange gifts, but then brings them. I don't do it to make anyone feel bad or embarrassed or because I want something back. I do it because I like them, and I like to show them that I like them. As far as I am concerned there is no need for embarrassment or any uncomfortable silences. Just, oh, thanks, and a smile is a perfect response. I would much rather have that than know that this poor person who has to listen to my drivel all day long went out schlepping in the snow to get me some stupid gift that they don't want to give anyway. Save your money, your sanity, and stay home where it's warm. Spend your time with your kids, not worrying about which snowglobe to get for me, although I do like that cute little blue one.....

+ Reply to Thread