+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: Not having children by choice?

I tease my kids that I had them so that I would have someone to take care of me when I am old - they laugh and always say "Too bad for you that we're sending you to the nearest old folks home, mom!"
    Go Tigers!

FORT Newbie
    Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I"ve had a weight problem all my life. If I had a dime for every time I heard:
    You have such a pretty face, why don't you lose weight. Or: your skin is so nice, its a shame you don't lose weight.
    Do they know that most people become dehydrated if they loose wieght quickly? Your skin won't be as pretty any more. They propubly don't know that!

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    I hear someone say once that when asked "when are you going to have kids" they responded with "when you pay to put them through college".
    Good point - Humor is always best!

I just recently had a baby and only then did I realize how many of my friends had actively chosen not to have children. It was a topic that hadn't really ever come up. Like many of the posts here, my friends don't think that they would make good parents or are unwilling to make radical (and it is radical) adjustments to their lives to accommodate a child. They enjoy fun and exotic vacations, great restaurants, time to read and go to the movies. At times I really crave those grown up things too.

I spent about a month finding a wonderful babysitter so that I could make sure that I did maintain some semblance of our previous life. For anyone not sure about the choice, think carefully. It is an amazing commitment of time, money, energy and self. You shouldn't do it if you aren't willing to give all that you can - and you shouldn't feel guilty (no matter what rude friends and family members say) if you know this and say, "I can't handle this." I applaude your honesty.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213