+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: What are your kids getting for Christmas?

Re: What are your kids getting for Christmas?

I like knitting scarves because there is no right side/ wrong side so all you do is knit (no perl). I like to combine yarns, like a thick one with a thin fuzzy one so they knit up fast, but have some character. For my wild child niece I'm going to knit 3 thin yarns together and then start switching one out for a different color, then switch another one out for a different color, etc. It's an idea I came up with but have no idea how it will actually turn out. I have a lot of leftover yarn that isn't enough for a whole scarf. I'll make hers first and if it turns out well I may do them all that way.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

Those are adorable Duxxy.

I wish I could knit. i've tried and i am pathetic.

I found a store going out of business and found some cute "giftie" type things for really cheap. So friends are going to get funny cocktail napkins, unique food type stuff and other inexpensive gifties from that store.

The child wants stuff for her school/career like sheers and stuff, so more than likely I will be doing my shopping at the beauty supply store.

And hubby will get tickets to something as that is what i always get him. I have started buying a few things here and there. Mostly books and stuff that I could get a good price on.
    it won't be a huge Christmas.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Duxxy They really are cute. I like the embroidered face one better too, but they are both adorable. Now I'm wondering if I could do something like that.
    History will have to record that the greatest tragedy of this period of social transition was not the strident clamor of the bad people, but the appalling silence of the good people. Martin Luther King, Jr.

We are taking the kids to give back to the community this year. We're signing up to serve dinner for the homeless and help put together food and gift packages for the kids that are less fortunate this year.
    Yup, with donuts!!

Buglover, that is great. Joey already has his house with a balcony, his steps and his "tree" to climb on. I will give a donation to the WI Humane Society to care for a few cats & dogs, and also a donation to the Rescue Mission for dinner(s) for someone less fortunate.
    - The Dean Martin Show -

Petula Clark: You know they say you can't buy happiness.
    Dean Martin: No but you can pour it..

Ok, Duxxy - you had to prove me wrong. YOUR sock monkeys are adorable! I love the socks you chose ...
    I also prefer the embroidered face, and it looks quite feminine to me. You can do a lot with just adding/leaving off eyelashes for the gender differences.

Gutmutter, I also prefer knitting scarves - only problem is that I don't wear them (can't stand things around my neck) and the people I know who would wear them both knit (one taught me, I taught the other). So, I have scarves with no necks to put them on. Have considered donating them, but not sure where would be best. Maybe an assisted living facility ...
    I never met a piece of chocolate I didn't like.

my mom used to knit mittens, hats and scarves to the local elementary school for the kids who needed them. There are a lot of kids who need stuff like that.

Luckily, I'm not a parent.

In the past, I've given my tutoring kids little gift bags with stickers, fun pencils, and holiday chocolate kisses. However, this year I have some sixth grade boys, and somehow I don't think they'll do handsprings over stickers and pencils. (Though I think they'd still get into the chocolates.) Any ideas on something not-too-expensive for 6th grade boys?
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

Oh, you came to the right place! I teach middle school and every Friday do a game with prizes and much to choose from. Here are the best things you can get for cheap... hacky sacks, parachute guys, anything that makes noise (nose flute, kazoos), candy candy candy, things that jump or fly through the air, little finger skate boards. All things you can get from Oriental Trading or a dollar store.
    Count your blessings!

Well I was finally able to give my monkeys to my kiddos. I made 11 in all. Here is a pic of a few of them - the kids fell instantly in love. It's really nice to see your hard work appreciated. One of my moms just about fell on her bum when I told her that I made them (she thought I bought them). I was a little miffed when I saw sock monkeys for sale at the drugstore for $12!! It took me a few MONTHS to make those! LOL as long as the kids love them...

(identities concealed for privacy)
    Last edited by Duxxy; 12-23-2008 at 06:06 PM.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread