+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: What are your kids getting for Christmas?

We try not to go overboard but don't limit the number of presents. Instead we try to focus on giving presents instead of talking about the ones she's going to get. We sit down and make a list of everyone in the extended family, then we go to either a thrift store or the 99cent store and I let her pick out gifts for everyone. Even last year when she was 2 1/2 she had definite ideas about what gift should go to who. It's doesn't end up costing much, and she is so proud and excited to see her gift being opened.

My daughter's been sick on and off since Thanksgiving so we haven't had the chance to do this yet.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

DOMESTIC GODDESS realitycrazmom's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hepcat
    We try not to go overboard but don't limit the number of presents. Instead we try to focus on giving presents instead of talking about the ones she's going to get. We sit down and make a list of everyone in the extended family, then we go to either a thrift store or the 99cent store and I let her pick out gifts for everyone. Even last year when she was 2 1/2 she had definite ideas about what gift should go to who. It's doesn't end up costing much, and she is so proud and excited to see her gift being opened.

My daughter's been sick on and off since Thanksgiving so we haven't had the chance to do this yet.
    So sorry that your little one has been sick. We've been fortunate to have had just a stuffy nose lately. With all of the flu stuff going around, knock wood, we're lucky.

I too try to emphasize the giving instead of the getting. My kids dog-sat for their uncle and did extra chores to earn their own money to buy each other gifts this year. They each had $10 to spend. I took them shopping individually and they took over an hour to choose something! What is really cute, is that they came home and said things like, "I got you a present with my own money!"

I told my daughter that she couldn't tell her brother and to keep it a secret. Instead, he started a game of 20 questions to where she would answer either 'yes' or 'no'! I told her not to tell, and she put her hands on her hips and said, "I'm NOT telling! He's asking!"
    If I'd been a ranch, they would have named me The Bar None~~ Gilda

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    I haven't limited the number of gifts either, only the dollar amount I spend and it is definitely not overboard. I mix one special item with stuff like books, sketch pads, fun toothbrushes etc. to add to the thrill of opening gifts. It will sound crazy, but my son LOVES to "make stuff" and uses LOTS of paper and TAPE!!! So much that I have had to hide it sometimes because I end up with his creations everywhere and they are fortified with tape! But, he is getting 3 rolls of tape in his stocking this year that he can call his own.

But I definitely love the idea of 3 gifts to be in harmony with the idea of the three wise men. Very clever Realitycrazmom!

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Lord knows Lil Quinn is going to get really spoiled this Xmas by Nanny... her first real Xmas- and LilQ is Nanny's first grand child...

I got her a Finding Nemo dvd, the Lion King dvd, a couple of Baby Einstein dvd's, and a new toy box.

Quote Originally Posted by QuinntheEskimo
    Lord knows Lil Quinn is going to get really spoiled this Xmas by Nanny... her first real Xmas- and LilQ is Nanny's first grand child...
    That is a grandmother's job to spoil the child on holidays. Well actually any day, my mother was always fond of pointing out that when she was little her mother didn't give her candy for just showing up at the door...but when she became a grandma that was part of her greeting (that and a whole drawer dedicated to it in the kitchen)
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

From the corner of my eye Jewelsy's Avatar
    :santawave Hep

I remember when I was 7, my mother took us to a "five and dime" store to pick out gifts for our immediate family. Although this happened more than 30 years ago, I can STILL remember the gifts I chose and the excitement and pride I felt when these gifts were opened. Who'd think a sample size bottle of Jergens lotion would have such a lasting memory for me

Great idea Hep.
    "Among the blind, the squinter rules." ~ Gerard Didier Erasmus

I just got my daughter something she wanted, and she'll be tickled to death. You know the GAP commercial on TV with the girl wearing the striped scarf, sweater, hat outfit? She really liked that and I got the last scarf at GAP today. She wanted the one last year, but I waited too late for it. Also got her Ruben's CD. She'll be surprised.

Ineedalife, my daughter's getting a box of bandaids in her stocking. She can put them wherever she wants!

I love the idea of tape. My daughter is always begging for pieces of my expensive artists' tape (which is probably just masking tape with a $9 price tag).

One rule we had growing up was that we couldn't ask for a toy we had seen on TV. My daughter's only 3 and we only watch PBS, but when she's older I'll hold her to this. Lots of times the toys they advertise during kid's programs are cheap & flimsy.
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    my daughter's getting a box of bandaids in her stocking. She can put them wherever she wants!
    Bandaids!!! What a great idea for a stocking stuffer Hep!

My daughter is getting lots of stickers in her stocking. She's two, so stickers rock her world. She loves to put them on everything.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

+ Reply to Thread