+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213

Thread: What are your kids getting for Christmas?

Re: What are your kids getting for Christmas?

Money or a gift card. Donations to St. Judes and Salvation Army.
    Every year I make everyone a Christmas Ornament.
    We have an Advent Calendar of a large Christmas tree that my Mom made from felt for my son when he was little, you hang an tiny ornament on it each day.
    I used to buy him small gifts, pencils, note pads, gum, candy, etc. and wrap them up to give him 1 each day, the 10 days before Christmas. Christmas Eve, I cutout an outline of a large shoe, laid it on the floor and sprinkled baking soda around it, to make it look like Santa had walked through the den and left snowy footprints. We baked treats for our neighbors and would let him take them to the door, ring the bell and then run. He loved leaving surprise treats. Still bake for them but now, he takes them and visits a few minutes.

FORT Fogey

We always opened the gifts from each other on Christmas Eve, after supper and before the late service at church, when I was growing up. Christmas Day we opened presents from Santa and later on, presents from extended family on my father's side (typically only something from my grandmother and the aunt and uncle on that side who were my baptismal sponsors) who had a family gathering on Christmas Day. I've always thought of Christmas Eve as the more important of the two days, because it was treated as such when I was growing up. Christmas Day was more the anti-climax for Christmas Eve.

In addition to the advent calendars, which lacked chocolate when I was growing up (the chocolate ones weren't readily available until I was in high school and selling them for the Modern Foreign Language Club), we also had a family tradition where every Saturday of advent, you put out a shoe and if you'd been good, there'd be a treat from St. Nicholas in the morning. So far as I know, that's really only supposed to happen on St. Nicholas Day, but for some reason, it was all through advent at my house. My mother was very keen on the holidays, so maybe that's why. I took that tradition with me to college and did it with my roommates.

I talked to a teacher yesterday at the school I work at, and she confessed she just sent the chocolate advent calendars to her two kids...who are away at college!! I guess old habits die hard. She said her daughter opens one door a day, but her son usually opens all the doors on the first day and eats all the chocolate. Too funny.

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by sweetpea;4107686;
    I talked to a teacher yesterday at the school I work at, and she confessed she just sent the chocolate advent calendars to her two kids...who are away at college!! I guess old habits die hard. She said her daughter opens one door a day, but her son usually opens all the doors on the first day and eats all the chocolate. Too funny.

I've bought chocolate advent calendars that had the "nutritional information" on the back. According to those calendars, a serving was half a calendar. I wondered why that was considered a serving, when clearly you're supposed to eat one piece a day--and who would eat all the chocolate at once anyway? Now I know. But that's a huge violation of the tradition. He better watch out--St. Nicholas and the folklore gods will not be happy with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Tilden;4108139;
    I've bought chocolate advent calendars that had the "nutritional information" on the back. According to those calendars, a serving was half a calendar. I wondered why that was considered a serving, when clearly you're supposed to eat one piece a day--and who would eat all the chocolate at once anyway? Now I know. But that's a huge violation of the tradition. He better watch out--St. Nicholas and the folklore gods will not be happy with him.
    I know, it does seem to mess with the whole point of the "countdown" calendar...

+ Reply to Thread
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213