+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213 LastLast

Thread: What are your kids getting for Christmas?

Re: What are your kids getting for Christmas?

Quote Originally Posted by coltnlasma;4105591;
    I was wondering if you that have young or school-aged children have any tips or traditions you follow when it comes to gifts. There was a post upthread that mentioned gifts of three which I thought was neat and symbolic. As far as keeping our holiday spending in check, we go into it knowing whatever we spend on our children, we will spend the same on other children (through angel tree or something similar in our community).
    We do the angel tree and have ever since he was born. We wanted to make sure he knew that his getting everything his little heart wants isn't always the norm but since he is an only child he is fortunate. So we let him pick a name out of the tree and he always chooses a little boy his age and he gets to pick what we give the child. He looks forward to it and has already pointed out the tree in Walmart with excitement (there are no names on it yet but the tree is up!).

We don't really have any traditions other than making sure he doesn't get too greedy or forget that he is fortunate while others sometimes aren't.
    Avatar: Eastern Amberwing dragonfly photo by me.

MRD

Mine's getting a wedding. Will do stockings for the dogs, but no one else is getting anything. They will be on their honeymoon on Christmas, so I am not even putting up a tree. I think the husband and I will just drink mimosas in bed and maybe take in a movie in the afternoon. :-)
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

The Angel Tree is my daughter's favorite Christmas tradition. We go together and pick a name, then we go all out getting a matching outfit from head to toe including outerwear and boots and of course, matching hat/gloves/scarf and a toy. We usually have to request an over-sized bag to fit it all.
    Count your blessings!

MRD

We used to always do a birthday cake for Jesus and sing Happy Birthday. My daughter started this tradition when she was 3 and it was explained that it was Jesus' birthday and she wanted to know if we were having birthday cake.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

Fort Member

Unfortunatly, we, as parents of one (son who is now 22), decided that family traditions were something we should invent and encourage we just seemed to invent them all at Christmas, so along with the angel tree (which we always seemed to get a boy aged 8 so we just kept buying basketballs every year), the advent calander (that his grandmother used to send him every year since he was 3 until she passed five years ago and we took over) we also as soon as the decorations hit the shops, we choose a theme and go together to buy one expensive bauble a week from our favourite store for the tree ( we started buying 5 or 6 now its 2 or 3 and our tree that started as a growing one in a pot when our son was born is now six foot tall acrilic to accommodate all the baubles), we make our own wrapping paper by buying plain brown paper rolling it out on my drive way and covering it with glue and glitter and handprints, we did try to stop this one but the grandparents, aunts and uncles all complained but as we are now in Singapore and our son still in Australia and not coming to visit until boxing day (this is his xmas present this year we are using our frequent flyer points to give him a holiday here) we wont be doing it this year, I silently say yaa to myself that i wont have glitter everywhere through my house and over my skin and clothes for weeks and weeks, and finally rum balls, I make 1000s of them for our neighbours, co workers, husbands co workers, sons friends and our friends, this too I thought I could get away with not doing this year (the coconut sometimes competes with the glitter for which I was am sweeping up after new year) until my husband reminded me to make them for his work and our condo commitee sent out an invite to the xmas BBQ bring a plate. Now my new Christmas tradition is trying to find Marie biscuits or a suitable substitute for the rumballs
    O I almost forgot the peppermints, our son has a Christmas stocking, it is huge and we fill it with peppermints every year, ticktacs, menthos, minties, xxx hot mints all manner of mints and sugar free gum. This one his father started and I can not remember when or why but it has been at least ten years of stocking up on mints from early October to Christmas eve and finding a place to hide them and not be tempted to eat them myself

Back on the thread subject though, as I stated we are using our frequent flyer points to fly our son here for a holiday as his Christmas present. Our sons birthday is two weeks after Christmas and when he got older we started to combine them so we could buy him something big that he really wanted so we have also added on a side trip for him to Malaysia and Thailand hopefully he will enjoy himself.

My sister and I are still the kids and though I won't know for sure until Christmas, I think I'm getting a new iPod. My current iPod was a Christmas gift, and though it has stuck with me through thick and thin, and served me loyally for seven years, the battery doesn't last very long anymore and I think it's time for a new one. I will miss it though!

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;4105565;
    I'm 26 and my mom still buys me, my brother, and two cousins our chocolate advent calendars. It's a tradition that I look forward to every year. Last year I wasn't home to receive one, so my mom had it mailed to my work
    Three of the twelve chocolate advent calendars I bought this year are for adults, so the youngest to receive a calendar will be one (if he can't manage the chocolate, his parents can eat it for him and he can look at the pictures) and the oldest will be sixty-six.

Chocolate filled advent calendars are suddenly everywhere here--the grocery store, World Market, Walgreens etc. Thank heavens, because the place I used to buy them every year closed. I am getting a little tired of clerks wanting to know why I need an entire dozen of them, however. I should think it would be obvious I'm giving them away. Certainly people who buy them for their kids probably buy more than one too (assuming they have more than one kid).

We did Advent calendars for the kids (one for each), but at the end of each season, we closed each door and stored them sandwiched between two over-sized Christmas books. So each year the kids knew which one was theirs, and each one got to open a door, and each one had certain favorites they looked forward to. They weren't chocolate, though, just miniature pictures.
    We also made a count-down chain. My mom (who lived through the depression) always saved wrapping paper from year to year and I continued the tradition (it really gives you MUCH more variety than buying a couple of new rolls each year). For the count down chain, I would get out the paper, sort through the large, usable pieces and cut strips (with the kids) out of the paper that was too ripped or small, and made the chain from those. The only new wrapping paper I bought each year was a special paper the gifts from Santa were wrapped in. They were presented in front of the tree apart from the other gifts that had been waiting under the tree, building suspense, ahead of time.

That begs the question: do you put the presents out ahead of time or only on Christmas Eve?
    Count your blessings!

When I was a child, my sister and I opened one gift on Christmas Eve. It was always a new nightgown and either a book or a new colouring book and crayons, so basically something to keep us occupied instead of going crazy waiting for the next morning. I have twin girls who are now 10, and every year I follow the same tradition. The LOVE it, they know what is coming and they look so forward to that one gift. I usually throw in slippers too, so they can be cozy and warm and comfy while we watch a Christmas movie.

I do a Christmas Calendar every year. This year I found some adorable little wooden ones at Winners (kind of like Ross here in Canada) that has little wooden doors for every day in December, except the bottom has a big door for #24. It is just big enough for a little hershey kiss or a treat and a small gift like a button from Claire's, a bracelet, a charm for their charm bracelet, etc. I think if I tried to stop this tradition they would KILL me.

When I was very little, my parents put up the tree on Christmas Eve after I'd gone to bed. When I hit elementary school and heard about friends whose trees went up before Christmas, I begged my parents to let us do that too, and we've done it about a week or so before ever since (live tree).

As for putting presents out, my grandmother always spent Christmas with us and she was one of the more social people I've ever known, so presents used to come to the house for her and we'd put those under the tree. I'd sometimes put my own, too, but no other presents. Now we don't put anything under the tree until my sister and I are about to go bed.

sweetpea, I think I saw an advent calendar like the one you're describing at Bloomingdale's yesterday. I think those wooden ones look so cute, it's something I want to bring into my house when I have kids.

+ Reply to Thread