+ Reply to Thread
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Favorite Toys

Back in the 50's there were Toni Dolls. They were put out by the people who made home perms I think. My niece had one. I thought it was the geekiest thing ever. Still do.

Cool Thread!!

Probably my favorite was Lite Bright. Others include Connect Four, Twister, Candyland, Chutes and Ladders and Operation. I was also a big stuffed animal freak (still have most of them today). I loved Care Bears and my Gloworm.
    "Someone forgot to drink their courageous juice this morning" from "Psych"

FORT Fogey
    Oh my gosh I just remembered something --Furby!!!! You should have seen my face that Christmas when I was about 9 or 10 . I started squealing with delight and I immediatly called my best friend. Well, she had gotten one too and we had heard that they could talk to eachother, so I ran over to her house. We just sat there watching them. And when you would feed them, they would go "Yum.... UahUah" and when it was happy it would go "noo-loo" and big fun was "dah doo-ay wah" I didn't think so at the time, but Furby was the single most annoying thing I've ever played with. It is now stuffed in the attic, collecting dust after only a few months of using it. My mom had probably spent a month looking for one. This is the one I had

Heres a great website about a Furby autopsy http://www.phobe.com/furby/

And Tamagotchis? I was all over them. I had 4! The funny thing is I took them to Hawaii with us on vacation. I thought my 3 tamagotchis were getting lonely so I bought another one in the Hawaii airport. And then when I went to the beach, I left my mom to take care of them. Of course, she went to get a pina colada and go on the beach for a few hours and they died! All 4 of them! I wouldn't speak to her for the rest of the vacation. I loved those tamagotchis... I even brought them to school with me until the principal outlawed them.

Quote Originally Posted by queenb
    Just another random thought - No way would any of my favorite stuff be sold today in its orignal form, due to dangers of skin burns or setting something on fire, and no way in HELL would you let kids use a steak knife to cut up an big cardboard box! And no swinging on vines over the creek either, most likely.(Yep, all this stuff was way before age 10, with no supervision)
    Totally! Some of our toys were waaaay dangerous. This Easter my nephews found our old chemistry set in my parents basement. There's little plastic bottles of toxic stuff in there! Something even ate through the metal box that contains the chemistry set! We may need a HazMat team to come in and dispose of it.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

Anyone remember these?

POGS! I loved them, though I rarely played the game you were supose to play with them, I had over 1,000 including slammers. Goodness and then they came out with the pog maker.

Ahh good ol' days.

Some fads are based on long-standing practices or activities and explode into wide-scale popularity years later - such was the case with the game of pogs.

The game of pogs originated in the 1920s on the Hawaiian island of Maui. There dairy workers played the game during breaks using simple milkcaps. Almost 70 years later, a Hawaiian schoolteacher reintroduced the game and mass appeal soon followed.

Pogs, (an acronym for a popular Hawaiian drink made from Passion fruit, Oranges and Guava juices) is played with disc-like object which have pictures on its face side. Each player would take an equal number of pogs and would stack at least four pogs one on top of another with the faces down. One of the players would then take a different-sized disc (called a slammer) and would strike a stack of the pogs with it. Whichever pogs landed faceup would be retained by that player. After each player had taken their turn(s), the one with the most pogs was the winner.

The pogs came in many colors and styles with various emblems, symbols or pictures on their faces. Originally, the game gained popularity through word of mouth but as it reached the mainland of the United States, its popularity went through the roof. With a low price tag and multiplicity of styles and colors, the pogs became a very popular collectors item which children traded back and forth. By 1995, the game had reached the pinnacle of its popularity. While this put smiles on the faces of children, not everyone was happy with the fad. Some school systems banned the discs because of dangers with throwing the slammer and because of overly aggressive play by some of the children.

Pogs, like the frisbee, show that sometimes workers in their spare time can find the most interesting use for the most ordinary of objects.
    http://www.badfads.com/pages/collectibles/pogs.html

Yeah, I've got some Pogs. Never counted them - probably a couple hundred. Some really nice slammers too.
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

We had a Close and Play Phonograph, Bigwheels, Etch a Sketch, Tonka Trucks, We had this playskool Gas Station thing with an elevator for the cars... I think it was a parking garage Also an Airplane that fit the same people in it... Matchbox and Hotwheels cars with the tracks... a "Pitch Back" and a "Johnny Bench Batter UP"

I think all the games I played are listed above:

Trouble, The Game of Life, Parcheesie, What was the other one like Trouble with a "Pop-o-Matic"? Othello, Sorry, Clue, Monopoly, (I don't think we EVER actually finished a game! ) Mousetrap, Chutes and Ladders (When we were feeling rebellious we used to go up the shoots and down the ladders ) Scrabble for Juniors, "Pendulum Pool"
    Ingorance killed the Cat... Curiousity was framed!

Quote Originally Posted by Brodie
    What was the other one like Trouble with a "Pop-o-Matic"?
    Aggravation?

I had a whole collection of miniature animals from Red Rose tea - you Canadians might remember these, they were only available in Canada .. what a pity LMAO[/QUOTE]

We had a ton of those...being from England originally, we went through a ton of tea!
    My favorites were the Mrs Beasley doll.
    PLastic dress up high heel shoes and I think it came with a purse but who cared about that I just wanted to look like a big girl in my high heels.
    For board games I loved Trouble and Clue.
    I also remember being very jealous of my Brother and sisters Inch Worms if anyone remebers those cause I was too old for them...or so my Mom said.
    Also I was a huge Barbie fan and coveted my Barbie Airplane and Camper

I had a whole collection of miniature animals from Red Rose tea - you Canadians might remember these, they were only available in Canada .. what a pity LMAO
    Me too!! now those Wade figurines from england are worth a pretty penny on eBay. The rare ones like the monkey are going for $30 each!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread