+ Reply to Thread
Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Toys

I like the old original Monopoly. I have fond memories of charging my "bother" - brother - $7.500 for the Luxury Tax before he figured out what a decimal point was. Parcheesi is another of my favorite board games.

I had the turquoise "Schwinn Chick" bike - complete with banana seat and streamers. My "bother" had the boy version of that bike - not bright blue and no streamers.

This is a great thread!
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

I used to love my Skip-It and my Pogo Ball.. feels like so long ago now...

Re: Favorite Toys

monopoly-gets-a-makeover-but-will-die-hard-fans-buy-it: Personal Finance News from Yahoo! Finance

'Monopoly' Gets a Makeover, but Will Die-Hard Fans Buy It?
    by Lindsay Robertson
    Thursday, February 4, 2010

Hasbro has unveiled the design of the new 75th anniversary edition of their classic board game, Monopoly, set to hit stores in fall of 2010. "Monopoly: Revolution Edition" is slick and round instead of dull and square, with debit cards and an ATM instead of paper money and a banker, clear plastic representations of the classic tokens (bye-bye, little boot!), and clips of popular songs (like Rihanna’s "Umbrella," Daniel Powter’s "Bad Day," and Beyonce's "Crazy in Love") that play after certain actions.

This is not the first game to get a modern reboot (there’s an update to the classic Trivial Pursuit, and Scrabble got a face-lift for its 60th anniversary), but Monopoly’s changes will undoubtedly appeal to the 21st century's techie youngsters. For one thing, the adjusted-for-inflation prizes are more impressive.

Players can collect $2 million dollars for passing “Go” instead of a mere $200 — practically what the average kid gets for losing a tooth these days. But it's bound to annoy die-hard fans of the comforting classic version, who might send it directly to jail come next fall. (At least they can take comfort in the fact that Monopoly: Revolution retains the classic Atlantic City-based street system.)

So far, the Internet echo chamber's biggest criticism focuses on the new version's tight security. It seems that when it comes to Monopoly, half the fun comes from cheating by stealing from the till when nobody's looking, a loophole the new version closes with its fancy electronic banking. (However, an electronic banking version has actually been on the market for years.) Surely our nation's tech-savvy youth will somehow find a way to game the "Monopoly" system, assuming they can be pried away from screens long enough to start a game.
    This is so wrong. It is round so no buying up a whole side. No cool metal tokens. And a DEBIT CARD!!!! And it isn't just this old fogie who thinks it is a bad idea, my techie kids, ages 17 and 20, agree with me.
    "Fish are friends, not food, but everything else is fair game." ~ Pating, Survivor Cagayan Pool

I did get the debit card version, but it was still square, and the pieces were really cool - just can't remember what they were (xmas present)
    it was an Amazon special so got the game pretty cheap.
    No Rain - No Rainbows - Nextel commercial

There are so many versions of Monopoly now, I don't know how this one will distinguish itself. Nothing can replace the original as far as I'm concerned.
    Count your blessings!

Quote Originally Posted by Gutmutter;3818499;
    There are so many versions of Monopoly now, I don't know how this one will distinguish itself. Nothing can replace the original as far as I'm concerned.
    We got "Dogopoly" for Christmas and have enjoyed it. I like the original game better though.
    Click here to automatically donate FREE kibble to homeless dogs and cats in shelters.

MRD

Well this old fogey will keep her original set and get $200 in paper money for passing go.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

One of the best ways to celebrate a Monopoly victory is to throw all my money and title deeds in the air. A debit card just wouldn't hold the same thrill.
    "There's no crying in baseball!"
    -- Tom Hanks, A League of Their Own

FORT Fogey

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog;3818913;
    Well this old fogey will keep her original set and get $200 in paper money for passing go.

I'm with you on that one, MRD. I sometimes don't understand why they need to tinker with success. Just my opinion.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ellen;3819014;

One of the best ways to celebrate a Monopoly victory is to throw all my money and title deeds in the air. A debit card just wouldn't hold the same thrill.
    Or if you get mad, rake everything off the board. My sister would get frustrated because she had to play with her little sister, who just wanted to play with the game pieces.

+ Reply to Thread