+ Reply to Thread
Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Toys

Tickle Me Elmo?
    Check out my avatar It's Chad Michael Murray!

Quote Originally Posted by gaby View Post
    Speaking of baby dolls.... I had the "Bless you, Baby Tenderlove". Her trick was she would sneeze and blow water out of her hose. My Mother was mortified when I showed her how my doll not only gave a sneeze a 80 year old man would have had... she blew snot out her nose too! Needless to say... she would not buy me the doll that poo'd.

Now as far as fashion dolls go, I played with Dawn Dolls. Which were exactly half the size of Barbie. How I loved my Dawn's. But they quit selling them before I even got into school.

I eventually moved onto Barbie's.... and got the "Growing Up Skipper", whose neat trick was she grew a set of boobs with a twist of an arm. Too bad all these dolls were limited to the early to mid 1970's.

I and inherited my sister's "Suzy Homemaker" oven. I never had one of the fancy Easy Bake oven's. I had big blue Suzy instead.

I loved my Dawn dolls! I had the stage and you put their foot on it and could swirl them around like they were dancing. I had Skipper but missed the "growing up" one, I never heard of it until you just mentioned it!

I still have my Baby Chrissy doll. She has red hair and you pull her hair out to make it long. I think there's a string on her back to pull it back in.

I also had the doll you fed baby food and then it pooped it out. I overfed it one day and it clogged up. My mom took it back and they gave her a refund.

Remember the Archie Bunker's grandson doll that caused such a big too-doo because it was anatomically correct? My mom wouldn't let me have one but a friend of mine got it so I biked all the way to her house just so I could see the naked boy doll

This will sound really sad, but my favourite toy when I was a kid was a box of broken glass, jewellery and bone fragments. I had a doll and a couple of Dinky Toys, never really knew what to do with them. With the box of glass (pieces of tempered glass from broken tail lights) I would play "Search for King Solomon's Mine" and "Search for El Dorado", or put on plays or open a museum (which is where the bone fragments came in handy). My sister had a Mrs. Beasly that she looovvvved, and an Easybake oven which we both used to make cakes in and take to Nick's Delicatessan so he could sell them. And, needless to say, I loved my bike beyond belief.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Okay. In keeping with bikes. I'm going to say one word and we'll see how many of us actually owned one. Huffy. Mine was pink with a white banana seat and pink tassles on the handlebars.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

MRD
    I had a turquise huffy with banana seat that had sparkles in it AND a huge sissy bar in the bark. I recently saw one in an antique shop and almost cried. It's bad enough the music I listen to is now classified as "oldies" or "classic rock", but to have my bike in an antique shop????

I STILL have my Mrs. Beasley Doll and I have seen them sell for BIG bucks on ebay.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I loved my bike too! It had a flourescent pink banana seat, and matching steamers from both the handles. And that curved bar at the back of the seat....a sissy bar! Man, it was the best

Attachment 17161
    Last edited by misskitty; 06-20-2006 at 06:29 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Quote Originally Posted by myrosiedog View Post
    My favorite board game was Uncle Wiggly. Anyone remember that one? It was about a rabbit and I can't remember anymore about it. Also liked Hi Ho Cherry-o as a kid until my daughter got it and I had to play about a million games of it with her. I'm sure my parents thought that was divine retribution!
    We had Uncle Wiggly. Wow, that brings back memories! We never had Candyland though I would enviously watch the Sat. morning cartoon commercials wanting candyland instead of Uncle Wiggly. I always wanted other toys than what my parents gave us, even though they worked very hard to give us the few toys we got. I appreciate them (my parents) much more now for all they did for us! I remember wanting a real barbie doll with clothes and accessories so badly, and I got the barbie doll head that you can "make up" and do her hair. My older sister had barbies and a spirograph, and it wasn't as much fun as it seemed when I didn't get it to play with.

http://www.newsvantage.com/perl/p/we...c_GuQ.html?ycg

New Monopoly Game Uses Debit Card, No Cash
    Wednesday, 26-Jul-2006 8:28AM EDT

Story from AP / RAY HENRY
    Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press (via ClariNet)

Associated Press/AP Online

PROVIDENCE, R.I. - A British version of the classic Monopoly board game released this week substitutes a Visa-imprinted debit card for the stacks of yellow, blue and purple play money long hoarded by children worldwide.

"We started looking at what Monopoly would look like if we designed it today," said Chris Weatherhead, a Britain.-based spokesman for Hasbro Inc., which makes the best-selling board game. "We noticed consumers are using debit cards, carrying around cash a lot less."

British players might not be the only ones switching to plastic. Officials at Pawtucket-based Hasbro say they're considering a similar change for American versions.

First offered in 1935, Monopoly offered players a form of financial escapism during the country's worst financial depression. Players become pretend real estate magnates who compete for fictitious property named after real places in Atlantic City, N.J. A British version released that same year featured London neighborhoods.

In the new British version of Monopoly Here & Now, players type amounts into a palm-sized scanner and swipe their debit cards to seal the deal.

While the change may startle some Monopoly fans, the game has been revised several times before. Consumers can now buy Monopoly editions inspired by the Star Wars and Lord of the Rings movies, or even a version featuring SpongeBob SquarePants, an animated TV character.

An earlier version of Monopoly Here & Now was released last year in England and still included paper money, Weatherhead said.

But the game had been modernized in many other ways. Some addresses have changed - and the game now includes Kensington Palace Gardens, near Buckingham Palace, and Notting Hill Gate, the setting of a 1999 movie starring Julia Roberts.

Cards that once rewarded players for winning a beauty contest now compensate them for winning a reality TV show. Completing a full circuit around the board is worth two million English pounds, not 200.

"Quite a nice bonus," Weatherhead said.

Hasbro no longer sells English retailers the paper-money versions of Monopoly Here & Now, but fans can still purchase the classic edition, which includes fake cash.

At least one Monopoly devotee seemed ambivalent about the potential changes.

Krisi Lee of Antioch, Calif., owns 19 versions of the game, including the electronic one on her cell phone. She sometimes competes in a Monopoly tournament run by her mother, which usually attracts about 50 players.

She wants her young daughter to learn how to count Monopoly paper money before touching the real stuff, she said. But Lee, 28, isn't a purist.

"That is the here and now," she said. "That's what we do. For a $3 purchase, I use my debit card."
    I'll keep my old version, thank you very much. Part of the fun is the stacks of money in front of me.

heh heh heh - my husband would never be able to hide his money if we were using a debit machine. I still like the paper money. Although you'd never lose the electronic money
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

My favorite toys were the Barbie hairstyling head (actually it was a Black Barbie...I don't know what's PC...and her name was Christie) I LOVED styling her hair and I did it several times a day for weeks and toys rarely held my interest that long.

Honorable mentions:

Bike
    Bat n' Ball
    Hula Hoop
    Jump Rope
    Monopoly
    Life
    "We don't see things as they are, we see things as we are." ~Anais Nin

"Sometimes the heart sees what is invisible to the eye." ~H. Jackson Brown Jr

+ Reply to Thread