+ Reply to Thread
Page 15 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Favorite Toys

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaFabulous
    Oh...that kind of toys.
    Dangit Bama you beat me to that one!

Retro Toys

Okay, I don't know about any of you but I'm kind of glad to see a lot of the toys I played with in the 80's making a comeback. For example: Care Bears, Strawberry Shortcake, Cabbage Patch Kids, Garbage Pail Kids and Teddy Ruxpin. I recently purchased the old 2XL Robot from Ebay. You remember him. He plays 8-track tapes and has a series of tapes that ask you trivia questions about whatever subject the tape is about. Now, here's where I enlist the help of other fans of "retro toys". I'm trying to think of the name of a toy I played with in the 80's. It was sort of like etch-a-sketch except instead of it being a flat rectangle, it had a dome. It was a little smaller than the etch-a-sketch and had knobs on the front. If anyone knows what I am talking about and can remember the name of it, please post. Feel free to post your favorite "retro toy" as well. My favorite had to be Spirograph. That was really cool.
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

MRD
    LOVED my spirograph, definetly a favorite.

Remember Klackers? Those heavy balls on a string that you made hit together and tried not to hit yourself because it hurt!!!!!

My 15 year old is really into Hello Kitty all of a sudden.

And Weebles are back too.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    myrosiedog - we had klackers, but they were called "kerbangers". Loved those things!

I loved my stretch armstrong and Gnip Gnop.

We called the klackers "click clacks". I loved them! I had spirograph, etch a sketch and loved my lite brite. I begged for those stupid sea monkeys and when I got them they stunk really bad.

Oh another favorite - did anyone ever have a wiggle worm? It was a fuzzy worm with invisible thread and it would look like he was moving by himself on the commercials but I never could do the tricks they advertised.

I don't think slinkys are made with the same metal anymore because it seems they were heavier when I was young and I always wound up getting it bent out of shape and would have to get a new one.

I'm on a roll now - anyone remember colorforms and paper dolls? I could play with those for hours.

MRD
    Quote Originally Posted by ArchieComic Fan View Post
    We called the klackers "click clacks". I loved them! I had spirograph, etch a sketch and loved my lite brite. I begged for those stupid sea monkeys and when I got them they stunk really bad.

Oh another favorite - did anyone ever have a wiggle worm? It was a fuzzy worm with invisible thread and it would look like he was moving by himself on the commercials but I never could do the tricks they advertised.

I don't think slinkys are made with the same metal anymore because it seems they were heavier when I was young and I always wound up getting it bent out of shape and would have to get a new one.

I'm on a roll now - anyone remember colorforms and paper dolls? I could play with those for hours.
    Oh, Archie, you have me in nostalgia land right now. All those toys were fun, except when mom stepped on a lightbrite peg when she was barefoot. Boy that wasn't fun!

LOVED colorforms and paperdolls. Still do. I used to play a lot with those with my daughter when she was little.

My favorite board game was Uncle Wiggly. Anyone remember that one? It was about a rabbit and I can't remember anymore about it. Also liked Hi Ho Cherry-o as a kid until my daughter got it and I had to play about a million games of it with her. I'm sure my parents thought that was divine retribution!

Oh what great memories of games and toys!

Klackers drove my mom crazy. We loved board games, some of those mentioned and Hide and Seek, Careers, Hands Down. Then we had crokinole, playdough, Little Skiddles, barbies et al, etch-a sketch, spiro-graph. And those tiny little perfume dolls in the colored plastic bottles!

Yes, we loved 4-square, jump ball, skipping, ball-chain that went around your foot at recess, the hula hoop, lawn darts (the dangerous ones), badminton, ping pong, the original pong on B&W tv. Barrel of monkey, jacks and marbles . My mom used to make us Salt Clay that we would mold and then paint. Too much fun for little money! And colored used popsicle sticks for pick up sticks!

And yeah, sea monkeys sucked.

What was the name of that stuff that is in a plastic egg. You soften it and press it against color comics and it comes out. Then you stretch it and stuff and reuse it? Drat. It's STILL available.

And something like plasticine? It was different colors like clay? Anyone remember? It had a certain smell I'll always remember.

Oh, the good old days.....
    Last edited by misskitty; 04-29-2006 at 08:57 PM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Silly Putty!
    I also remember Shrinky-Dinks, Polly Pockets, Digger (this was a pull toy dog who's had bobbed when you pulled it) and Easy Bake
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

MRD
    I had those perfume dolls!!! Oh you guys are really bringing back memories.
    My hubby had to go to the hospital to get a lawn dart removed from his neck when he was 11. Boy, toys were so much more exciting when we were kids!
    I LOVED my easy back oven, but my mom wouldnt' get me anymore mixes for it. Of course when my daughter got one, I knew why.

This isn't really a toy but I remember scented pens. They still have them but not like the ones I had in 5th grade. There was strawberry, grape, blueberry, etc...

+ Reply to Thread