+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Blues?

Quote Originally Posted by speedbump
    Maybe all of us who can't be home for Christmas can meet here? I was all set to go home in two weeks but some "things" came up and I'll be having chinese food in my sweats on my couch this Christmas. Sure would be cool to share happy holidays with some Fortie's. I'll be here.
    Good idea, maybe we can meet in the chatroom sometime during the day & wallow in self pity for a bit together hehe. (I've got a couple of friends in my situation with family far away & we always have pity fests when Christmas is around the corner...ehhe What do they say...misery loves company... there's a lot of truth in that
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

About 5 Christmases ago I was working at a hotel.. we didnt close for Christmas. (I had 1 frikking guest) I drew the short straw (read my selfish supervisor thought I should work because we didnt' have any kids.. her youngest was 26!) I had to work Christmas Eve 4-12, Christmas day 11-8 and Boxing Day 11-8, effectively excluding me from each and every holiday celebration being held by mt family.
    Christmas Eve my husband drove 1 1/2 hrs to have supper with my immediate family..(he spotted a hotel on fire and alerted my step-father, the volunteer fire chief) Christmas day he went alone to my Grandparent's, Boxing Day he went alone to my aunt's. Between the family meals he started chatting with one of my 'online friends' via ICQ. They both refer back to that day often because it alleviated some of the lonliness each felt being alone while their spouses worked. We live 2500km from my husband's family and its very difficult to plan trips to Northern Manitoba very often.
    Needless to say I think it's a wonderful idea for Forters to meet for some company over the holidays. I'll peek in too!!
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Funny, I never had holiday blues as a kid. Now I'm a Mom, and I feel so much pressure that I'm having a hard time getting excited for Christmas, and of course, feeling guilty for it.

Shop for 4 children who all want electronics. Pressure. Find costumes for Christmas pageants. Pressure. Get the dog organized (shots, reservations) to be boarded for when we go to my parents. Pressure. Decorate the tree with a hugely overgrown ornament collection and keep the kids from helping/breaking at the same time. Pressure. Find a babysitter for the Christmas Party. Pressure. Take the Christmas picture my husband wants and I could care less about for the Christmas cards I don't care to send. Pressure. Buy things for all the Christmas collections at the kids' school. Pressure. Pretend like none of this is bothering me. Pressure.

What does your hubby to do help take the pressure off of you? If the answer is nothing I think you should print the above thread and put it in his Christmas card
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Oh I always get down in the dumps for the holidays...this year will be rough since my niece is getting older and all my family lives in TX. Cept me.

I'll be on FORT off and on for the holidays though, so that's a bright spot!
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Glad to hear things are going better Jilly.

I have seasonal affective disorder (appropriately called SAD) and winter is a tough time for me too. I have to make sure to soak in as much daylight as I can.

Sorry to hear other people are going through rough times.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

To all peeps affected by SAD, a big hug from me!

I'm glad to hear it's going better for you Jilli!

And speedbump, a great idea for those away from family on Christmas.

One of my friends has SAD, and he has one of those old-fashioned sun lamps. I.e. those little, almost space-heater looking things, and whenever he uses that, he feels better. *shrug* So you'll either get happier, or you'll be really, really, tan.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Quote Originally Posted by Miss Filangi
    Glad to hear things are going better Jilly.

I have seasonal affective disorder (appropriately called SAD) and winter is a tough time for me too. I have to make sure to soak in as much daylight as I can.

Sorry to hear other people are going through rough times.

I think I may have that too. Don`t know tho, but I get blue when it`s darker, or more so, in the winter. Maybe I should put a sunlamp on my Christmas list!! I`ve heard it called Bipolar, but don`t know if they use that term anymore.

Thanx, everyone for your support. Tomorrow (Saturday) is my official first day at work. busy, busy, busy.

Jilli good luck on your first day!! So glad to hear that part of things is looking up for you, may good stuff continue into the New Year as well!!

Rox
    riding through Paris with the warm wind in my hair
    Heres some Holiday Cheer that may help those of you that are blue.

I really do hope things cheer up for all who are down.
    "The fastest way to succeed is to look as if you're playing by somebody else's rules, while quietly playing by your own."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast