+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Math Whiz? Answer this please

Math Whiz? Answer this please

The site that gave us the grammar and Spelling quizes also had one for math.
    I'd like to know how to answer this one question please:

The Washington Monument is 555 feet tall. For a class project, Tom is to make a scale model of the monument to place in the front hall display case. The display case is 24 inches tall. Which scale will allow him to make the tallest model that will fit in the display case?

a)
    1 inch = 10 feet

b)
    1 inch = 15 feet

c)
    1 inch = 17 feet

d)
    1 inch = 20 feet

e)
    1 inch = 25 feet

If you have some time to kill you can take the whole test
    HERE It does take a little longer than the others though

The one above is killing me, because they will tell you whether or not you answered correctly, but they don't explain HOW to get the answer if you're wrong!
    Anyway, I can't remember 8th grade math well enough to figure out the formula for this one.
    I did do pretty well over all though
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

JR.
    I believe that would be e) 1" = 25'

Just use the multiple 1' = 300' - the model would be 1'-10.2" or 22.2"

I just divided 555 by 25....but I also think e is the correct answer.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

its E
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!" -- Steve Parker

Help feed a dog or cat http://www.theanimalrescuesite.com/c...s/CTDSites.woa

Definitely E.

Here's the actual formula, in case you're interested:

24x = 555', therefore x = 555'/24, so x = 23.125'. E is the closest answer.

PKeeper
    Magna Cum Laude!
    You clearly have a handle on what the Illinois State Board of Education thinks an 8th-grader should know.You got 20/20 correct.

I think 20/20 should be Summa Cum Laude, but then again it is an 8th grade level.

Actually, I minored in math (Statistics) so I did not expect to get any wrong, unlike the spelling and grammar questions.

Oh, and on Cali's question. I just took the approach 24/12 = 2 feet. 555/2/12 = 23.125. It some times helps in understanding to convert the numbers to mathcing units and then convert back.

ahhhh, thanks!
    I just brain farted on some formulas. I didn't do as good as Pkeeper though! Jeez!
    The one I got wrong that is embarrasing is the ordered set of numbers question! I forgot what got listed first the "X" or "Y" numbers so I put Horizontal!
    At least I knew it wouldn't be diagonal

Way to go Pkeeper!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

12/20 I did not expect to get half of the right. I am a mathmatically challanged(not to mention spellingly challanged) person. Hehe!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Darn it! Magna Cum Laude!
    You clearly have a handle on what the Illinois State Board of Education thinks an 8th-grader should know. You got 18/20 correct.

I expected to do better.
    Sadly, I missed the 2 I spent the least amount of time on. One of them I knew was wrong, but just didn't feel like taking more time to figure out the right answer.

i read the title "could you pass 8th grade math?" and decided the answer was no. definitely no.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast