+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: This Week's Parenting High & Low

High: Taking my 4th grade son into school Monday morning with a new HP mobile printer to work with his handheld computer, and watching him wow the teacher and his friends with how it works on a battery, and prints through an infrared port. He has Dysgraphia (I just explained that in Ineedalife's parenting thread, but it is a learning disorder that has to do with an extreme difficulty writing legibly, and using a keyboard is a bypass strategy.) Instead of feeling self-conscious and singled out, he feels like the cool techno-kid with the computer. When he came home, he was proud to tell me he was able to help the teacher because her printer is broken, so he loaned her his computer for a little while so she could type a note for the parents, and then he printed it out for her.

Low: That same kid, throwing up off the top of his bunkbed to the floor at 3 AM Tuesday morning. Thank God he missed his new $80 computer backpack I had to buy him to transport his electronics safely!

Low: My daughter calling me today to say that they had ANOTHER bomb threat at her high school and they all had to stand outside at the stadium for 45 minutes in the freezing cold and 40 mph wind.

High: Same daughter taking time to call me today at work to tell me the above and that she was O.K. in case I had heard something and was worried about her.
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

Low: 3 of my kids are still out of commission

High: I spent all morning cuddled up on the couch, snuggled into a blanket with my 3 yr old daughter. Then we wrote out some Christmas cards. Perfect.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    High: having my daughter's birthday party on Sunday and hearing her say "Mom, that was the bestest party ever" (oh, to be 5)

Low: Trying to brush this kids hair without hurting her. Damn knots.

Quote Originally Posted by JDHeninger
    I know I'm a horrible buttinski, sorry! Maybe there's more to it, do your son's friends eat breakfast at school? It might simply be a social thing.

It totally sucks you have to support your kids all alone. That's tough. I'm sorry. No kids deserve that.
    JD - I really don't know why he wants to eat at school. He said he was just hungry, which is fine. I don't want him to starve and be hungry all day, this would make his work suffer. I was just trying to make the point to him that I buy plenty of groceries and he can eat more at home, or he can wait and eat at school. I don't think it makes sense to do both, plus he was not being honest about it.

I don't really have to support him alone, I have a wonderful husband now and he certaintly tries to make up for what the PB (PB is a bad word that I have nicknamed my ex-husband ) doesn't do. In fact, he gave me the money to put back in my son's money tin. But, it isn't the same to my son. He misses his Dad, and he acts out. I like to say he worships the quicksand his Dad walks on.

Ok - this weeks LOW of all LOW's: One of my son's friends that went to his school and was on his baseball team died this week. He was hunting with his grandfather and he dropped his rifle and accidently shot his self in the chest. My son was devasted, as is the whole school, which makes the breakfast thing seem so stupid to me now.

HIGH (if you can call it that)- Thanking God that my son's are at home, safe in their beds right now, and that I am not going through the horrible tragedy that the poor Allred family is going through at this moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Susie
    :

Ok - this weeks LOW of all LOW's: One of my son's friends that went to his school and was on his baseball team died this week. He was hunting with his grandfather and he dropped his rifle and accidently shot his self in the chest. My son was devasted, as is the whole school, which makes the breakfast thing seem so stupid to me now.

HIGH (if you can call it that)- Thanking God that my son's are at home, safe in their beds right now, and that I am not going through the horrible tragedy that the poor Allred family is going through at this moment.
    So sorry, Susie. Very sad incident.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    So sorry, Susie. Very sad incident.
    Thank you SG! My heart breaks for the family. They have other children and they were at the school play last night and they all just look devastated. It really made me realize how quickly things can change, and how lucky I am.

OK, I already said this on the Bachelor/Wedding thread, but I'm still smiling:

High: My 4-year-old daughter, after watching Trista's wedding, said, "Mommy, do you know what my favourite part of a wedding is?" I said, "Flower girls? Dresses?" (etc.) She said, "Nope - my favourite part of a wedding is true love!"

Low: There was....ah, who cares...it's Xmas!!!

:santasmil :santawink :santawave
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

High/Low LMAO is more like it.. 3 yr old decided that the goldfish would like to try her drinking box... the fish was Gasping for fresh water, thats the quickest fish tank change I have ever done!
    5 Alive and spoiled goldfish do not mix
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Oh Duxxy! She was just trying to share her juice with her friends!

High: Took my daughter & a friend to mini-golf for the first time. They got such a kick out of the kind where you hit it into the windmill or house or what have you, it disappears, then shoots out at the green below the windmill. They couldn't actually hit it in so they just dropped their clubs and spent 30 minutes running up and dropping it into the windmill by hand, then running down to see them shoot out of the hole. There was no one else there at the time.

No lows this week. Wow, no potty accidents or anything!
    You've gotta hustle if you want to earn a dollar. - Boston Rob

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast