+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: High School Reunions

High School Reunions

Okay, I searched for a thread on this, but couldn't find anything. I have a high school reunion coming up next year and want to hear what everyone has to say on the subject. Did you go to any? Was it fun? Did you go with a petty agenda of revenge? Did you go to rekindle an old flame?
    Just to see old friends? Spill it so I can make an informed decision.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

i went to my 5 year reunion in 1994. i went with feifer and another friend, smash. we had a blast. 5 years out of hs, everyone is still in party mode and all the old cliques and stereotypes didn't matter.

then i went to the 10 year in 1999. it was dressy in a fancy hotel. cost a freakin fortune. everyone had put themselves back into their old cliques and it was really kind of a bummer. the only standout thing to me about the night (other than a drunk former student accidentally dumping his crown and coke in my purse) was a girl i knew in hs named elizabeth, whose father had been partners in a law practice with my dad for a few years. she had been a cheerleader and really only hung out with her crowd in hs. but at the reunion, though the other cheerleaders and popular people were really trying to get her to join back in with the clique, and she just parked herself at a random table with her husband and was awesome to everyone. i remember before that night i'd never really given much thought to her either way... but that night, i was impressed. out of all that crowd, she was the only one that grew up and didn't give a crap.

my 15 year is next year (summer of 2004). i figure i'll go.... but i really think it should be more of a zoo setting. they should cage everyone and only let out people in groups of 5 or 10 just to walk around and stare at the caged former students. this way, i wouldn't have to answer the same boring questions over and over: what do you do for a living? are you married? do you have any kids? :yawn

Went to school in Nashville, moved 5 years after graduation to Cleveland. I kept in close contact with 2 friends (known since the 4trh grade). My first reunion was the 20th, had a blast. Ended up hitting numerous bars with about 10 others. Went back for 25th not as much fun. Had my 35th last year and again it was a blast. Everyone seemed more glad to see you regardless of your social status, school clique, etc. I guess it has a lot to do with the fact that we know we don't have a bunch of these left and it just might be the last time. I've posted this before, but my best friend passed away just 2 months after our reunion, so my advice is go and enjoy. That one person you really want to see might not be there next time.

Quote Originally Posted by Unklescott
    ...I've posted this before, but my best friend passed away just 2 months after our reunion, so my advice is go and enjoy. That one person you really want to see might not be there next time.
    That's good advice, Unklescott.
    My 10-year was this year, and it was sucky -- all the old cliques applied, there was a fight three hours into it, many people I'd have liked to see didn't show, etc. And yeah, you have to keep answering (and asking) the same questions over and over. We just mostly got drunk. But I do remember at our dinner, there was one former classmate and his wife who sat off all alone, and I felt so bad for them. He'd been what at my school was called a "vokie" -- he attended the vocational school classes -- and there weren't many of his clique there. But there were some, and they resisted several people's offers to come sit with people. I did just feel so sad for them, though.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    I just hit my 25th year out of high school. (Yes, I remember back that far....)

I have never been to hs reunion. I figured that the people I want to be friends with I was still friends with and had no need to revisit. I floated among the assorted groups, but had some good, loyal friends who are still with me. I would like to go back and show how I still look younger and thinner than those old fogeys, but that's an awful reason to go.

my 10 year one was in 1998 and nope I didn't attend, regardless of the fact that I live in Kentucky but I went to school in Texas. I don't want to be a snob, but I am so beyond that whole scene. I wasn't above trolling the high school website and looking at the picture of everyone who did attend ( a measly 80 people, apparently reforming the same cliched cliques).
    " I look like Nigella Lawson with a $#*!ing hangover."

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    That's good advice, Unklescott.
    My 10-year was this year, and it was sucky -- all the old cliques applied, there was a fight three hours into it, .
    Nothing like a good old-fashioned fist fight to get the nostalgia going
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I missed both of mine. My 10 year I missed due to getting married that year and not having the vacation time to go. My 20 year I missed due to my miscarrage a few days prior. I was very upset about missing my 20 year one as I had helped over the internet find a few people for the reunion committee and was just looking forward to it.

My high school has had several all school reunions which I've made it to a couple and those have been fun. It's alway been pretty casual and you don't see alot of people from your class but you do see a range of people from teachers to your little sister's best friends.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

My 10 year ann. was in 1999. I didn't bother going. I'm a little bit sorry that I didn't because every now and then I wonder what ever became of some of the people I knew, but overall I didn't like high school all that much so I'm not really that bothered..
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

I haven't gone to any of mine mainly because I didn't hang out with anyone in my grade. I hung out with the younger kids. They looked up to me, what can I say But I think it all depends on how many friends you actually had in your class.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast