+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: High School Reunions

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    Either I am in a really good mood today, or everyone is being really funny today.
    Me too, stargazer.

FH! Apathy High! How perfecto!

And Mhayes, when you said "spirit week" I couldn't stop myself from thinking of "spirit fingers" ala the movie "Bring it On". And yes they still have generic food, but I believe they're under more decorative disguise now, i.e. store brands, and or "Best Yet" (which is basically generic in disguise.)

And speedbump, a friend of my swears by classmates.com. He's found a lot of his old buddies that way. I've heard it's quite good for staying in touch with people. (and on the zero fashion sense).
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

When I went to my reunion I did SO hope the cheerleaders/popular girls had gotten fat... alas, they had not.
    You know, I see more former classmates when I visit home and go to Walmart than I did at that reunion. (lesson learned; always shower before going to Walmart, you never know when you'll run into an ex-boyfriend).
    And while I used classmates.com when we were planning the reunion, I refused to pay the fee and so found it frustrating because I couldn't actually email anyone that I found there.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Quote Originally Posted by MHayes62
    Every year during "Spirit Week" each class (Srs, Jrs, Sophs, Freshman) got a hall to decorate. We were supposed to decorate it in a way that represented the "Spirit" of our class. We put plain brown paper over everything with block lettering describing what it was( ie "Locker", or "Drinking Fountain") and called ourselves "The Generic Seniors". There was a lot of apathy, and we didn't feel we were very interesting. I think that was just the 80's.
    If any of you remeber the "Generic" food fad of the 80's you'll get that joke. btw do they still have generic food.

Repo Man! Beer, Food, etc. I love it!
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    And while I used classmates.com when we were planning the reunion, I refused to pay the fee and so found it frustrating because I couldn't actually email anyone that I found there.
    Yeah, classmates.com is a gyp with the entry fee now. I used to drop in there every now and then just to catch up with folks, but now you can't hardly read their names without paying $35 first.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy
    You know, I see more former classmates when I visit home and go to Walmart than I did at that reunion. (lesson learned; always shower before going to Walmart, you never know when you'll run into an ex-boyfriend).
    about not showering and running into an ex. Oh..my. I was always luckyluckylucky when I ran into ex’s. *fwew, wipes brow* But I DID have a horrifying excursion to the library three weeks ago where I ran into a “friend” from high school who was one of those back-handed compliment givers, i.e. you know the type that does that whole, "wow. Your hair looks great. It’s not as lifeless as it usually is,” thing. Anyhow, my hair was completely soaking wet and just STUCK to my head. I couldn’t “fluff” it because it was just below freezing, and my hair would have crunched off if that were the case. And I had no make-up on. Ugh. Anyhow, not great to run into her there.

And it’s true, I’ve seen so many more people at Target than anywhere else.

Anyhow, Lucy/Paulie, I had no idea classmates.com had become a rip off. Crud. Dang. All this high school talk was making me toy with the idea of visiting the site rather than smacking down the pop up ad as I usually do.
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

My high school alumni association has a web site where you can post your info, but there are more people at classmates.com. Only about a third of them are paying members. The girl in charge of our reunion committee has done a great job of tracking people down, compiling a master list and sending out updates to everyone. Not living in my hometown, I don't get the advantage (or disadvantage) of chance encounters so I look forward to reunions.

So far I've been to two 10 year reunions for my high school. Both of them were a lot of fun, but the expense really does make ya choke a little bit (atleast for those that the committees here seem to like to plan).

I went to my best friend's 10 year cause I was really close to a lot of people in her class and she didn't want to go alone (and had an icky man that you wouldn't want to take with you anyways). Fun fun fun!! Yeah, the cliques were still there, but atleast they were a bit more open to chatting some with "non-members". I can't say as we weren't guilty of that as well though as the drama gang ended up ditching the first night luau and going clubbing instead. The hotel club ended up having an 80's night that night and we partied it up till the early hours of the morning, absolutely the best time at a reunion that I've had. The night following we did the formal dinner thing...overpriced and a bit stuffy, but not horrible atleast. My big thing that night was figuring out just why I was there...in their memories slideshow it oddly happened that I was in about half the pictures that they were using. Overall, just a lot of fun and catching up with my friends...of course the only one I still talk to is the one that I went with in the first place, but that's all good.

My own reunion was the following year and I had it planned as this fun weekend away with my husband and just popping in on the reunion activities....HAHAHA yeah right!! "Oops", he forgot to ask for the time off work so he didn't go leaving me to endure the full weekend of reunion stuff and a hotel on the beach by myself (butthead). It actually didn't go as horribly as I had pictured it in my head...strange people that I knew by yearbook photos were speaking to me for the first time ever and actually being nice??? Made me feel a bit lost! I think being by myself helped me as well cause I was sort of forced to interact just to keep myself occupied. I went, I saw, I got drunk both nights....oh yeah, guess it was ok too, not great, but not horrible. One interesting thing I found out through some of my chatting was that 4 of us had been in the same kindergarten class and spent our entire school experience together...3 of us were at the reunion and had a really good time talking for the better part of one night. Probably the worst thing for me is that all the people I REALLY wanted to see hated school so they didn't show, guess it was to be expected, but I was hoping to catch a glimpse and few drinks with them.

Another few years before I have to think about the 20 year, but I'll be there, no doubt about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzer
    And it’s true, I’ve seen so many more people at Target than anywhere else.
    I agree. Everytime I go to my hometown, and have to run to get something at Target, Wal-mart, or H.E.B., I run into people from my high school, so I make sure that at least I'm a little presentable.

I didn't go to my 10 year HS reunion, because I didn't have $$ at that time to fly to my hometown, and I couldn't get time off from work. My two best friends in HS weren't able to go either. There was a write-up and the "ReUnion" Committee had their pic on the local newspaper, so I was able to at least see some of my old classmates. Hopefully, I can make it to the next reunion.

just above the horizon, but below the ozone
    lets see...... I went to the ten yr reunion to see my old friends and the cliques were there a little, not to strong of a hold on everyone, so people did mingle. Saw a bunch of my friends I hadn't seen in a long time. one guy showed up with a nice looking girl on his arm and then towards the evening when the booze hit, tried to dump her off on anyone and really embarrassed her, so I decked him, they pulled me off, I told them I was cool, (like in the movie "mother, Jugs and Speed) when they let me go....I decked him again. he left and we got her a ride home.

So I worked up the nerve and went to my 27 yr as they were combining 5 years together, and met up with an old girlfriend and we had a nice time catching up on our lives. People said we made the best couple, I told them, "we never had a fight and we broke up cause she went to college and I moved a year later" It was fun seeing her and my other friends, but lot of them haven't moved out of the area so they didn't show. Same reason, all the ones they wanted to keep in touch with are the only ones they want to see. It was fun. may go to the 30th. have to see on that.

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Hmm... Anyone else wondering why that drunk dude tried to get rid of his hot chick date?
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast