+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: High School Reunions

I went back to my 10-year reunion. I actually had quite a good time. I don't see many of my high school friends very often because quite a few of them still live in Alaska and I don't. I actually enjoyed getting caught up with some of the people I hadn't thought about in years. It was gratifying, too, that most of us were able to interact outside the frame of our high school existence. We had a small class of about 85 students, and I'd say only about half made it to the reunion. But of those who came, most were genuinely interested in finding out what everyone was up to. I talked to a guy I really didn't interact with much in high school, and his story was really interesting. Now, granted, I'm a people person, and I love to hear other people's stories, but I think anyone would have had a good time just catching up with old friends and acquaintances.

Couple of funny anecdotes from the evening:
    - One guy tapped me on the shoulder and then stood back with his hands on his hips, nodding and grinning at me. Clearly, he expected me to say, "Stephen?!?" and pull him in for a back-thumping hug. But damned if I didn't have ANY idea who he actually was. He looked very familiar, and I knew I was disappointing him, but I ultimately had to ask his name. When he told me, I realized I'd spent quite a bit of time with him my sophomore year, but we had drifted apart down the stretch.
    - One clown wore his high school letter jacket, got completely tanked, and was hollering the same sort of stuff he'd have roared about back in '88. I think his expectation was that our reunion would be a time machine to transport him back to his glory days.
    - One woman who used to be a cheerleader blurted to me, "Wow, you sure turned out great!" She was really nice, and we shared stories about our children. She didn't ignore me in high school, but we weren't boon companions, either. It was nice to hear a great compliment like that.

The next year, we attended my wife's 10-year high school reunion. She was 6 or 7 months pregnant at the time, and she looked terrific. I had a good time meeting some of her high school friends I'd heard about but had never seen. And there were a few of her buddies that I knew well that I chatted with while we were there, too. It was great fun, and I got to meet some new people, which I always enjoy.

So, you know, I'd say go without expectations and just have a good time learning about the new people you'll meet. Even those folks that you knew are going to be very different from who you knew back then.
    When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

If someone did that tapping thing to me Paulie, I would just turn out and yell out: "How you doin, man! Such a long time!" And if he asked me to tell him his name, I'd act hurt that he would even suggest I forgot the name. Who knows? It might work!
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

Excellent strategy, Zaius. I never figure that stuff out quickly enough. I forgot a girl's name in college once and wasn't able to successfully pretend I hadn't. A group of us were all exchanging addresses and so forth at the end of the year so we could keep in touch. When she wrote hers down, I tried to smoothly cover my complete lack of memory for her name by saying, "Why don't you just write your name above the address there so I know whose it is?" She looked at me with suspicion and said, "You don't know my name, do you?" I was busted. My face flushes red IMMEDIATELY when I'm embarrassed, and she got me good. I had to 'fess up that I couldn't remember it.

It was Claudia. Claudia, dammit. THINK!

When you're ten years old and a car drives by and splashes a puddle of water all over you, it's hard to decide if you should go to school like that or try to go home and change and probably be late. So while he was trying to decide, I drove by and splashed him again. - Jack Handey

Read Paulie's Precaps for Survivor:Vanuatu: 1-2-3-4-5

Wow, I'm really happy with all the stories this thread has turned out. I wasn't sure if I was going to go or not because I'm still in touch with the people I really cared about. There were three girls I was close to in high school and I still talk to all three of them. I really thought that there would be no point to even going. I had also planned a few ten year reunions in my event-planning days and most of them were drunken debacles. So, I was seriously considering nixing the plan.

After reading through this thread, however, it seems that everyone who went had a good time, whether they were reconnecting with old friends, making new ones, or just laughing at people. My mom had a word of advice, too. SHe said don't go if its on a boat cruise (as hers was one year) because you can't escape if you want to
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    Well, I'm still not going to mine. So there.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

This is a cool thread. I love reading all your stories, makes me sad I missed my reunions!

My grad class of 600 was probably the most unspirited group of "youngin's" to ever come down the pike. I remember people skipping out of pep rallys (not that I blamed them), low attendance at football games, thin crowds at dances, etc. etc. So it was no surprise then that our class ('89) didn't get around to planning a five year reunion, being the first class from my school in something like 40 years to not have a five year reunion. Every class since ours had one, though.

We did have a ten year reunion, and I would have gone, but it was on the same exact night that a friend of mine was getting married! A friend of mine from high school, who also usurped other potential partygoers. But only something like 88 people out of 600 showed up. How sad. I remember having fun looking at another friend's little pamphlet for the night, i.e. a cheap version of an updated yearbook of sorts, with pics of all the attendees and what they were up to in life at that point. THAT was fun to look at. And apparently the friend of mine that went said everyone had a blast.

And Zaius and Paulie, I've totally done the fake out before. Broad statements are great for fishing out clues, "so are you still enjoying your job?" invites either a hearty laugh and a subsequent curse-fest over how much they detest their job and the various ways they'd like to toss their boss from a window, thereby triggering some kind of memory for me, and/or they proudly discuss the virtues of their company etc., also triggering memories.

I love Zaius's response and I've done it!
    "If you're like me, you have a 'been there, done that' attitude when it comes to paleolithic paleontology." - Jon Stewart

"I swear, you are the ho-ho ho." - OTS

Quote Originally Posted by Shazzer
    My grad class of 600 was probably the most unspirited group of "youngin's" to ever come down the pike. I remember people skipping out of pep rallys (not that I blamed them), low attendance at football games, thin crowds at dances, etc. etc. So it was no surprise then that our class ('89)
    My HS was very similar.The only people who showed up to football games were people who had the cheerleading coach as a teacher becuase she would give you extra credit on the next test if you showed. There were no dances other than the prom. One time they tried to do one of those charity "all night dance things" and it was cancelled due to lack of interest.

The probably could have renamed the school "Apathy High" , but no one would care.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

Quote Originally Posted by FinallyHere

The probably could have renamed the school "Apathy High" , but no one would care.
    Either I am in a really good mood today, or everyone is being really funny today.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Every year during "Spirit Week" each class (Srs, Jrs, Sophs, Freshman) got a hall to decorate. We were supposed to decorate it in a way that represented the "Spirit" of our class. We put plain brown paper over everything with block lettering describing what it was( ie "Locker", or "Drinking Fountain") and called ourselves "The Generic Seniors". There was a lot of apathy, and we didn't feel we were very interesting. I think that was just the 80's.
    If any of you remeber the "Generic" food fad of the 80's you'll get that joke. btw do they still have generic food.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

Long before the Fab Five on Queer Eye, I was a founding member of the original Fab Five--except we were hetero, and had zero fashion sense, a trend that still continues today

The five of us were inseparatable, partly because our parents always worked and we were our own support network. Well, we stay in touch at least weekly via email or phone calls...12 years later. I had missed my 5th and 10th reunions due to military deployments but they always kept me updated with pictures and stories.

Last week when I went home to visit (my first in 4 years), I was surprised to see so many people I had graduated with back home for the holidays. It was like my own mini reunion. Some things change and other's stay the same. People were surpised that I wasn't the class clown anymore and that I actually had a sensitve and inquisitive side to me. The part that made me laugh were the "clique" girls who were skinny and fashionable in H.S., but now were fat and in denial and dressing like they were still skinny. Not a pretty sight. The great part, was that they were so quickly ignored...I guess everyone saw through superficial personality.

I have also stayed in touch with classmates through Classmates.com. It's a great site to find that missing person.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast