+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: High School Reunions

She'll be there when I'm gone... won't she?
    My 10-year is coming up next year, and I have no plans to attend. I'm going to have my own reunion... alone.
    R.I.P Willie Dog (?/?/1989-12/17/2004). Gone but never forgotten.

Welcome Zelda (and a hot of other names)! (Born 08/08/2005, adopted 10/08/2005)

Also welcome Shasta! (Born ?/?/2004, Adopted 03/??/07)

Our graduating class was only 63 people, and 58 of us went on our senior skip day to Disneyland - from the middle of Oregon! So we were pretty close.
    I was out of the country for our 5th, so I sent a letter.
    We had a blast at our 10th, lost my voice speaking to people I really didn't talk to in high school. I made the guy I was dating go to his 10th the next year and it was awful! The cliques were still in place, and he was as out of place as he must have been in high school.

We just had our 20th a couple of months ago and it was great. I was on the planning comittee and assembled a directory to hand out at the dinner.
    Friday evening, people were meeting at a bar in downtown 'Smalltown', but a few of us who were close through college and since met at my house for a more intimate party.
    Dinner saturday night was on a sternwheeler, fairly expensive, djs playing 80s music, lots to drink. The 'popular' people sang karaoke, but no one else minded.
    We had a family picnic at a local park on Sunday for everyone, so people could show off their kids if they had them.

What made it nice for us was that we were a close class to begin with. Also, my set of friends tended to be those people who didn't really fit in anywhere else, so we were always happy to include anyone!

My best friend re-appeared after 20 years, so we had a chance to catch up. As for old flames, it appears that my first bf hasn't completely gotten over me. His brother-in-law was part of my close friends group, so he and his wife came to dinner. He and my hubby got along fine, especially since I didn't tell hubby who he was until later .
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

The only reason I wanted to go to my 10 year reunion was because one of my best friends from high school was going to be there. He moved to Wisconsin after graduation and I hadn’t seen him since.
    The first night of the reunion was an informal get together at a local bar without spouses. Well after about 10 minutes of talking with my friend, I realized we had absolutely nothing in common anymore, and we moved on to other conversations. I kept on running into the most interesting, wonderful people that I had no idea even existed before. Everyone I talked to said the same thing. It was amazing how many great people they missed out on knowing because they weren’t in their clique. That night was definitely the highlight of the weekend.
    On the second night with spouses everyone reverted to old cliques. I think this is because you want to introduce your SO to the people you grew up with, and then it is harder to break away and mingle. The second night bored the hell out of me.
    The third day was family day at a park. I didn’t have kids at the time so we skipped this. From what I hear though, it was more like the first night, with the kids breaking down the clique barriers by playing with whomever they wanted to.
    I’m definitely glad I went. I love to people watch. I truly enjoyed seeing how everyone else responded to this unique situation. There were definitely two distinct groups. Those who came to the reunion hoping the pecking order and cliques would still be in place, and those who moved on and the old social order no longer mattered.
    We had the “Plane Jane” who is now a complete hotty, and loved seeing all the guys who wouldn’t give her the time of day 10 years earlier drool over her. We had the computer geeks that had become rich in the 90’s dotcom boom years. We even had the All State football player who was now pumping gas at Texico. It was amazing to see the different roads that we all took.
    I think everyone should go to at least one reunion. It is a social experiment that you won’t find anywhere else.
    I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I intended to be. Douglas Adams
    Life... is like a grapefruit. It's orange and squishy, and has a few pips in it, and some folks have half a one for breakfast. Douglas Adams

I didn't go to my ten year. I've kept up pretty well with one of my good friends, and the other who I would have loved to catch up with wasn't coming. Plus, I was eight and a half months pregnant, swollen, moody as hell, and I had a broken arm that I didn't want to have to explain over and over and over again like I had to do everytime I even went to the freaking grocery store. Anyway, I wasn't in a social mood.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

Quote Originally Posted by spegs
    I didn't go to my ten year. I've kept up pretty well with one of my good friends, and the other who I would have loved to catch up with wasn't coming. Plus, I was eight and a half months pregnant, swollen, moody as hell, and I had a broken arm that I didn't want to have to explain over and over and over again like I had to do everytime I even went to the freaking grocery store. Anyway, I wasn't in a social mood.
    I totally understand. I was such a buffalo when I was pregnant (I actually delivered a 7 1/2 pound baby at 8 1/2 months) that I wouldn't have been caught dead being seen by anyone. Certainly not by a bunch of people that hadn't seen me in ten years.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by spegs
    I had a broken arm that I didn't want to have to explain over and over and over again like I had to do everytime I even went to the freaking grocery store.
    So Spegs, How did you break your arm?
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

I've had full use of the arm for a year and a half now, so that doesn't bother me as much anymore.
    "Look, you love me, and I love you. Maybe in a different time, a different place, this would work out. But we both know that only one of us is leaving this room alive, and I'm the one holding the flame thrower." - Film Fakers

C'mon Without Cmon Within QuinntheEskimo's Avatar
    Apparently our class is only having reunions every 10 years? 10 years too often if you ask me...
    i have to premise this by saying that i was a nerdy athletic kid in HS- (math club, capt. on the football team)- tough area to be in, too nerdy for the jocks, too athletic for the nerdy kids... i only went back to the reunion to see one or two friends and to see if the rumors were true about my HS gf (that she had doubled in size)... Luckily for me(?) we got to sit next to each other at dinner, and she proceeded to eat her dinner and mine, and her husband's (who was sitting on her other side, cant imagine their grocery bills )...i imagine she'll be triple the size when 20 comes rolling around in 3 years...
    Boring- lame- most of those kids never left the area- so to them, the reunion was just another reason to get drunk... the rest of us realized why we left and never went back...

Not interested in going, the only people in my class that really mattered to me, I still see anyways.
    "The bureaucracy is expanding to meet the needs of an expanding bureaucracy."
    -- Unknown

I went to my 5, it was basically a drunken picnic. I didn't go to my 10 last year because I had another commitment and didn't really want to go anyway. Most of my high school friends were younger than me and I see them occasionally, but usually only at weddings, etc., now as I've moved pretty far away and my parents no longer live there either. Good times, there are people I hadn't seen in years but when you get back together it's like it was only yesterday.
    Log off. That cookie sh*t makes me nervous. --Tony Soprano

So I said to him, "Look, buddy, your car was upside down when we got here. And as for your Grandma, she shouldn't have mouthed off like that!" --Homer Simpson

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast