+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Feline Cancer - visit site to help-

Feline Cancer - visit site to help-

As I had touched upon in the animal lovers thread, my feline has a number of now inoperable mast cell tumours across her body.

When this whole ordeal started, there was only the one recurrence which needed radiation therapy- at $1000 a session, feline oncology is not cheap.

My friends and I called numerous 'charitable organization', every animal themed one on the books, and some not, and all turned us down flatly for help. One (very well known) place even told my friend that since we can't take care of the cat, to just get rid of it.

I don't take no for an answer

So, we wrote to over 100 celebrities speaking of this dilemma, and our desire to hold an auction to raise funds. A good number responded, from Vin diesel and Robert Sean Leonard to Eddie Izzard and beyond, this will be started hopefully within the week.

Also, the Save A Penny campaign was started, located at:

www.cafepress.com/saveapenny

As can be seen on the site, this is intended to grow beyond one cat, as we hope to gather enough funds to start a 'kitty' as it were for others in my position.

At the site, you can sign up for the newsletter which will keep you current on health, actions, auctions, etc. Cafepress will not flood your mailbox, nor will I.

Thank you!

Glitter

That is a great idea, Glitter. I may do some Christmas shopping on that site! (besides loving cats, I'm all for any cause that Robert Sean Leonard AND Eddie Izzard are a part of! )
    I'm sorry your cat is ill.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Thanks,

actually- Robert Sean Leonard was one of the nice ones who not only send a signed photo, but also a little card wishing her the best. I was a fan of his work before, and now of the man and his work!

I just added a new ornament as well!

I've lost two cats to feline cancer. It was no fun for them or me.

I'm so sorry to hear that Molly,

and i definately know how you feel.

Penny was part of a once two cat houselhold, the other being a few years older.

When that cat hit the age of 10, she developed a 'feline injection site sarcoma' (for those of you who don't know, vaccinations, especially the rabies vaccine, tend to increase/cause this highly aggresive tumour at the site of injection, not sure on the specifics- but my vet doens't even do shots unless requested, won't charge you for them or anything because sees them as harmful in indoor animals)

Anyway, at the time my family didn't have the money to help, and she ended up passing away about 1 month later.

That's why I, now on my own, vowed to help my cat, and others in the future. with surgery her life could have eben prolonged from 6months to the rest of her natural lifespan.

If you ever need to chat molly, feel free to pm me or e-mail me from my website. Hopefully your community has groups to help with grieving pet loss as mine does.

Thanks Glitter. Actually, I think my cats tumors may have injection-site related too. I have a friend who works for a veterinary-pharmaceutical company and she has talked to me a lot about that.

Wow, I've never heard of that feline site injection thing before, but it's very interesting. I'm a huge cat lover, but all the cats I have now are indoor cats. I had them vaccinated for everything when I had them spayed, but as they don't go outside, I don't take them for yearly shots. I'm glad now that I don't! Last year I had to have my 10 year old cat put down because she had developed masses on her kidneys, and they discovered she was also diabetic. After spending upwards of $1000.00 to find out what was wrong with her, it was decided that for quality of life reasons, it was best to put her down. The hardest decision I've ever made, but I still think it was the best one, although I still miss her terribly. I'll have to check out your site. All the best to the sick kitties too.
    Darn Kangaroos!! I am le tired.

I'm hoping I don't haev to make the decision to put her down, as my cat loves to eat, I figure she'll go from a heart attack before the tumours spread internally!

Actually though, I think I've only had 2 nights since thanksgiving where she has not vomited, apprently the tumours also release something that increases her gastric juices, or something akin to that. I now studd three pills into one clear gelcap (pepcid for the stomache, benadryl for the histamines, and Colase to aid in goign to the bathroom) so I only have to give her 2-3 pills a day, rather than the 6-9 it would otherwise be.

Feline injection site sarcoma's are scary things, we think we're helping and we're actually doing more harm! Vets are finally beginning to realize that cats are so different from other species of animals.

And while I'm at it, a prayer request for my neigbors dog who is in the hospital after eating an entire jar (59 tablets) of iron-fortified vitamins.

When my dog ate every one of his pain killers, the vet told me to give him some milk and put hydrogen peroxide in it. It makes them throw up; it's essentially pumping their stomach. For everyone's reference if necessary.

+ Reply to Thread