+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Ugly Bridesmaid contest

COMBAT MISSIONS junkie! BravoFan's Avatar
    I've been fairly lucky and most of the bridesmaid dresses I've had to endure were not horrendous.
    "They can only edit what you give them. They cannot manufacture a fictional character out of thin air." (Bill Rancic - 4/04)
    Regarding editing reality TV: "You can't edit IN a bad personality." ("Cali"-11/02)
    BB8 - A "conveyor belt of human garbage." ("Pono" - 9/07)

I don't have any pics, but the worst bridesmaid dress I EVERY had to wear was when I was matron-of-honor in my best friend's wedding and I was nine months pregnant. When you are that big, nothing is going to look good on you . . . . especially not having yards and yards of taffeta draped around your huge, pregnant belly. Ugh! I shiver now just thinking about it even though it was 17 years ago . .
    I don't have OCD, I have CDO. It's like OCD except that the letters are in alphabetical order like they should be!

I hadn't realized how fortunate I was to have only been in two weddings! My own and my sister's. But then again, we were both married at 35, our first weddings, but we were old enough to have seen those horror stories, and know better!

For my own, I had my bridesmaids wear Nicole Miller separates. Sleeveless top and long straight skirt in lavendar. They were a size 4 and 6, so they can and have worn the tops on other occasions, and could wear the skirts if the occasion arises.

My sister just had her 6 bridesmaids wear something black and long. Once again, I was the only large one in the bunch, so I went sleeveless, but wore a scarf around my arms.
    One by one, the penguins are stealing my sanity

CurvesForum

My sister insisted that her bridesmaids pick out their own dresses, and that they be something they would actually wear somewhere else. They looked great (they're green, but they look black in this pic). Of course, it helps when they're both skinny as toothpicks!

One of my best friends from high school always says she'll be sure her bridesmaids are in hideous dresses because she'll be damned if she's not the prettiest one at her own wedding!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

Quote Originally Posted by chirospasm
    One of my best friends from high school always says she'll be sure her bridesmaids are in hideous dresses because she'll be damned if she's not the prettiest one at her own wedding!

You know what? I hate to say this because I have been the victim of a powder blue abomination that I didn't even keep a picture of, but most of them deserve it. I was a wedding planner and saw many weddings, including my own. I won't say all, but a lot of bridemaids are a big pain in the butt. As soon as a bride invites a group of girls to be in her wedding, they immediately start telling the bride what kind of dress they should wear. At my own wedding, I heard endless whining about how one wanted sleeveless, one wanted sleeves, one wouldn't wear lavender and one wouldn't wear any color but lavender. It was ridiculous. I finally just picked out a dress and told them that if they didn't like it, they could just be a regular guest if they wanted.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Don't hold back, stargazer! I guess my sis was lucky that they weren't too picky. Or I guess they weren't, I wasn't around for that part of it
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

I have one friend who's all about finding good deals, so when she got married she decided to buy her bridesmaids' dresses off the Internet. Off Ebay, I think. Used. She wound up with a flock of hideous 80's-era dresses in various autumn shades (she wanted them all in different colors). The bridesmaids (I was not one) rebelled and wound up with normal modern dresses (but still in different colors).
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

At my wedding, my wife's sister, who was her matron of honor hated the bridesmaids dresses she picked out so much that she refused to wear it and bought a one in a different style in the same color.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

FORT Fogey Pyramid Solitaire by Disney's Tangled Champion combatcutie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    You know what? I hate to say this because I have been the victim of a powder blue abomination that I didn't even keep a picture of, but most of them deserve it. I was a wedding planner and saw many weddings, including my own. I won't say all, but a lot of bridemaids are a big pain in the butt. As soon as a bride invites a group of girls to be in her wedding, they immediately start telling the bride what kind of dress they should wear. At my own wedding, I heard endless whining about how one wanted sleeveless, one wanted sleeves, one wouldn't wear lavender and one wouldn't wear any color but lavender. It was ridiculous. I finally just picked out a dress and told them that if they didn't like it, they could just be a regular guest if they wanted.

I know how you feel stargazer. I just got married in October. I had 5 bridesmaids and 2 junior bridesmaids. After going gown hunting with 3 of them, I had wished I didn't ask any of them to be in my wedding. I let them pick out the 5 potential dresses and I picked the one that they wore. I never heard so many complaints in my life and it was one of their dresses I picked for them to wear. They didn't like the dress, the shawl, the color blah blah blah. Finally I told them that this was MY wedding and they would wear what I picked out and like it. I've been in numerous weddings and would NEVER think of complaining about the dress the bride picked out. It's her day. Just suck it up and wear the damn dress for the few hours you have to without upsetting the bride.

Quote Originally Posted by combatcutie
    I know how you feel stargazer. I just got married in October. I had 5 bridesmaids and 2 junior bridesmaids. After going gown hunting with 3 of them, I had wished I didn't ask any of them to be in my wedding. I let them pick out the 5 potential dresses and I picked the one that they wore. I never heard so many complaints in my life and it was one of their dresses I picked for them to wear. They didn't like the dress, the shawl, the color blah blah blah. Finally I told them that this was MY wedding and they would wear what I picked out and like it. I've been in numerous weddings and would NEVER think of complaining about the dress the bride picked out. It's her day. Just suck it up and wear the damn dress for the few hours you have to without upsetting the bride.
    I was my best friend's maid of honor a year ago and while several of us worked to "influence" her choice of dress for us, we didn't outright complain (also, she/we picked pretty ones )
    One of my friends was a bridesmaid in a strict Baptist wedding, at which there was no drinking and no dancing, yet the bridesmaids' dresses were a gorgeous scarlet color, skintight and with plunging necklines.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast