+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Things to say about a holiday present

Things to say about a holiday present

you know, the ones you don't like given by those we DO like (or have to pretend we like):

my list...

Hey! There's a gift!
    Well, well, well ...
    Boy, if I had not recently shot up 4 sizes that would've fit.
    This is perfect for wearing around the basement.
    Gosh. I hope this never catches fire! It is fire season though. There are lots of unexplained fires.
    Last edited by senrik; 12-01-2003 at 10:43 PM.
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

FORT Fogey
    You picked this out all by yourself?!! Wow!!

This will look great,,,mumble mumble!

FORT Fogey
    Well this is.. fun...
    I'm sure it will look great on that homeless guy on the corner, it really matches his skin tone better than mine...
    I'm in such a giving mood lately, I must give this to Goodwill. It's all the the holiday spirit!

dvm
    Get off the hate train.
    You know, it's fine and dandy to get gifts you will never use or ever wear.... just smile, say thank you, and give an gracious oscar-worthy performance. I can't stand gift-givers who proceed to tell how much the gift cost them.... like my bf's mother would say: "these were buy 1 get one free." How am I suppose to act in such a situation???

Quote Originally Posted by dvm
    You know, it's fine and dandy to get gifts you will never use or ever wear.... just smile, say thank you, and give an gracious oscar-worthy performance. I can't stand gift-givers who proceed to tell how much the gift cost them.... like my bf's mother would say: "these were buy 1 get one free." How am I suppose to act in such a situation???
    hence the concept of this thread..... *wink* after all, who says FoRT can't be a learning tool...
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

"Thank you for thinking of me!"

It's not even a little white lie, but even then I experience guilt, until I finally see that no one is ever obligated to like a gift. They're just experiencing a whacky social ritual.

Shayla, that is exactly what I would say. I figure if someone made the effort to *get* me a gift, I can at least be appreciative; saying "thank you for thinking of me" covers it all.
    Paintin' the Town Blue!

Or how about, "WOW! I'm speechless. I don't know what to say."

That's a fun little rorshach test to throw out there. The gift givers can create their own interpretations about what you mean by that. Meanwhile, you get drunk on holiday punch...

I'd probably just say "Oh, thank you very much!" and as Shayla said, "Thanks for thinking of me."

Really, it's not that hard for me to act appreciative of presents, because I'm glad that whoever it was took the time to think of me and get me a little something. If they start talking about the price, I ignore them.

This sucks!! Um...bu...bu..but in a good way.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast