+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Gift Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by PhoneGrrrl;2176357;
    I'm looking for a specific gift--I want to get the two staff people who work for me (both big bakers) pretty, seasonal baking dishes. I have in mind a Christmas-y stoneware pie plate for some reason. I know I'm not dreaming up the existence of these things, yet I've looked (on line) at Dillard's, Williams Sonoma and World Market tonight and have come up empty. I'm going to keep looking, but if anyone has seen these at a store, I'd sure love a lead on where to buy one (well, two actually, but you get my point ).
    Here's a whole bunch of them but I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for:

Polish Pottery

Mississippi Clayworks

I tried Pottery Barn thinking they might have something but not so much.
    Last edited by Mariner; 12-13-2006 at 01:49 AM.
    "I miss Darva Conger." - Phonegrrrl

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I'm looking for a specific gift--I want to get the two staff people who work for me (both big bakers) pretty, seasonal baking dishes. I have in mind a Christmas-y stoneware pie plate for some reason. I know I'm not dreaming up the existence of these things, yet I've looked (on line) at Dillard's, Williams Sonoma and World Market tonight and have come up empty. I'm going to keep looking, but if anyone has seen these at a store, I'd sure love a lead on where to buy one (well, two actually, but you get my point ).
    Macy's always has nice Christmas plates

Here's an example of the Spode pattern:

http://www1.macys.com/catalog/produc...xx.esn_results

Here's their stuff under "Holiday Lane"
    http://www1.macys.com/catalog/index....20ENTERTAINING

In my own little world where all things are Idol......

To make you giggle and nod your head in agreement.....

Dear Santa,

I've been a good mom all year. I've fed, cleaned and cuddled my children on demand, visited the doctor's office more than my doctor, sold sixty-two cases of candy bars to raise money to plant a shade tree on the school playground.

I was hoping you could spread my list out over several Christmases, since I had to write this letter on the back of a receipt with my son's red crayon in the laundry room between cycles, and who knows when I'll find anymore free time in the next 18 years.

Here are my Christmas wishes:

I'd like a pair of legs that don't ache (in any color, except purple, which I already have) and arms that don't hurt or flap in the breeze. but are strong enough to pull my screaming child out of the candy aisle in the grocery store.

I'd also like a waist, since I lost mine somewhere in the seventh month of my last pregnancy.

If you're hauling big ticket items this year I'd like fingerprint resistant windows and a radio that only plays adult music; a television that doesn't broadcast any programs containing talking animals; and a refrigerator with a secret compartment behind the crisper where I can hide to talk on the phone.

On the practical side, I could use a talking doll that says, "Yes, Mommy" to boost my parental confidence, along with two kids who don't fight and three pairs of jeans that will zip all the way up without the use of power tools.

I could also use a recording of Tibetan monks chanting, "Don't eat in the living room" and "Take your hands off your brother," because my voice seems to be just out of my children's hearing range and can only be heard by the dog.

If it's too late to find any of these products, I'd settle for enough time to brush my teeth and comb my hair in the same morning, or the luxury of eating food warmer than room temperature without it being served in a Styrofoam container.

If you don't mind, I could also use a few Christmas miracles to brighten the holiday season.

Would it be too much trouble to declare ketchup a vegetable? It will clear my conscience immensely.

It would be helpful if you could convince my children to help around the house without demanding payment as if they were the bosses of an organized crime family.

Well, Santa, the buzzer on the dryer is ringing and my son saw my feet under the laundry room door. I think he wants his crayon back.

Have a safe trip and remember to leave your wet boots by the door and come in and dry off so you don't catch cold.

Help yourself to cookies on the table but don't eat too many or leave crumbs on the carpet.

Yours Always!

MOM

P.S. One more thing...you can cancel all my requests if you can keep my children young enough to believe in Santa.
    Reality is the beginning...not the end....Wallace Stevens

Trying to free myself from the snarkside.
    www.budgetchristmas.com

All year 'round we send away for and "squirrel" away "freebies" and articles that are "shipping costs only" to be used as "stocking stuffers". We have always done this for our children growing up, and now for their families. Now that we are retired, we have to scale back our Holiday spending, but don't want to reduce the fun. This way, we can still give surprises to everyone on a small budget. We use a Holiday bag for each, rather than a stocking, and fill it with these individually wrapped "goodies". By Dianne F.

Gift Basket Idea:
    Book Gift Bag - I have done this for small children, but it will work for all ages, just by changing the books:
    Book or book(s), Box or assorted packets of Hot Chocolate Mix (could substitute flavored coffee samples for adults), a warm soft throw or blanket, microwave popcorn, and personalized book mark(s). Actual books could be substituted with a "book on tape or cd". By Toni R.

Being a single mom, I have always had to be frugal at Christmas. I have found that people appreciate homemade items more than something that was bought last minute at the store. I work on Christmas all year, keeping a notebook of things that the people I love have mentioned that they like. Each gift is made especially for that person- with a "giftbasket" theme. I cross-stitch special designs either for the matching bathroom towels, or basket liner for the kitchen. I then get some baskets, line the baskets and buy little items throughout the year for that theme. The whole key to being frugal is watching for deals throughout the whole year. by Patti D

Frugal Tip: My children make various ornaments (this year it will be sleds made of popsicle sticks) for the Grandparents. It saves money and they don't end up with a gift they really didn't need. They always cherish and keep the ornaments. It's neat to look at the tree each year, and see past years creations. by April G.

My idea for a frugal holiday is to have a gift exchange were every one brings in items in good condition that they never use or have out grown use of such as toaster oven you never use , the perfume you do not like and so on. By Dorothy L.

I make a lot of items from pinecones. They are free and plentiful in my area. Pinecone wreaths, ornaments and baskets. by Katt L.

I reuse Christmas bags every year!!! Saves time and money. By Jo Ann F.

There are also a couple of holiday stoneware pie plates on ebay.... BuyItNow feature for less than $15. In fact, if you don't buy the gingerbread one, I just might..heh.
    Never let the things you want make you forget about the things you have.

I saw some today at Bed, Bath, and Beyond.
    Getting lost will help you find yourself.

Pampered Chef has red-coated (on the outside) stoneware.
    Count your blessings!

This might sound weird, but a friend of mine is getting her dad a fireproof, locked box for all of his important papers and things (like his will, etc.) he has at home.

Dads can sometimes be hard to shop for and this is something he might not think of on his own.

I don't think that's a weird gift at all. I find men are really hard to shop for. One year I got my father an answering machine! It was right after my step-mother died. I tried for days to get him on the phone and got no answer. I finally drove to his house expecting to find him lying on the floor. It turns out he was at a bridge tournament about 100 miles away and never bothered to tell me. I told him he was getting an answering machine for Christmas and he better use it! Ever since then, he called me if he was going out for the day let along overnight!!! So I say get whatever people can get some use out of and don't worry about what anyone else things.

Hey everyone,

I really need a good suggestion if you all can help me out. I am doing a secret santa gift exchange with my ex-coworkers. I pulled out the name of a female who is in her early thirties, she is married and has 1 son who is 6 years old. I don't know for sure what to get and I have a budget of $25. I don't live in the US so I can't just go to any nice store at the mall and get something. I was thinking about a bottle of perfume but I think its kind of impersonal since she is a good friend. Then I thought of getting a picture of her family framed as a nice portrait. What do you all think?
    Remember that you only live once, and if you do it just right, once is just enough.

BE the change you wish to see in the world. - M. Gandhi

+ Reply to Thread