+ Reply to Thread
Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Gift Ideas

Okay - I'm not very crafty, but two years ago my daughter (then 5) cut and knotted these

http://www.joann.com/content/project...ml&CATID=25292

fleece blankets for everyone in our family. You can personalize them so easily because of all the patterns available in fleece (then you coordinate a matching solid color for the other side.) The wash easily, and because all you do is put them together by knotting them the kids can easily help out. Handmade, no sew, and fleece (especially this time of year) is always on sale.

By two yards of each fabric (two yards of solid, two yars of coordinating pattern), lay them on top of each other and (cutting both fabrics at the same time) cut a 6 inch square from each corner. Then cut in approx 2 inch strips along all 4 sides (again, cutting the fabric at the same time) making a fringe. Knot each strip , and voila!. Cozy, soft and well appreciated.
    Love many, trust a few, and always paddle your own canoe

Quote Originally Posted by pinkieparrot;532701;
    :santawave Hey everyone! With the holidays coming up, I am in need of some ideas for small gifts. I'm a little tights on cash, so I was thinking about maybe baking all of my friends something and putting it in a festive box or something like that.

Do you guys have any ideas for inexpensive gifts or good recipes I might try? Thanks ! :santawink
    Last year I was a little "short" and there were some (female) people I wanted to remember, so I got, Chocolate mints ($1 for each small box), a set of little bottles of bath/body gel/lotion ($1 for each set) and little etched vases, (also $1 each). I wrapped each gift separately, tied the 3 together in a little tower, with a card that said something like:

During the Holidays and in the coming year, I wish you
    all things sweet, all things beautiful, and time to stop and smell the flowers.

The sweet was the candy, the lotions were the "beautiful" and the vase was for the flowers. $3 for each gift and well received.

I have also given small monetary gifts as those gold dollars ... with a card that said friends like you are as good as gold.

Also monetary gifts stuffed into different things, such as dollar bills in each page slot in a small photo album; rolls of coins in various (wrapped) fooler containers.

I have an aunt who gives a lottery ticket or two signed with lots of love and wishes for great luck in the coming year.

My cousin gave everyone a scarf one year with a note that said "This is a prayer scarf -- I prayed for YOU with every stitch."

As said, as long as you personalize -- that is really give each gift recipient some thought, it's hard to go wrong regardless of cost.
    "The way to become boring is to say everything." Voltaire

" The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated. "
    Mohandas Gandhi

Well, I took my husband's shirt to the framer and she is going to make a shadow box frame for it - the shirt will indicate that the team made all-metro and she will add a small plaque that states he was on the all-star team. He can hang it or lay it flat. I sure hope he likes it, it cost a lot and he isn't getting much else.
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

I'm sure he'll love it cricketeen. I went to Bath & Bodyworks today. Every year I get my daughter and daughter-in-law a nice basket. I also get one for the girl who cuts my hair and my asst manager. I got my hair cut today and took it to her. She freaked. She's a good kid.

I'm afraid to even mention this site because people I bought stuff for might see my post. However, I'll risk it because its got some really cool stuff. If you're looking for oddball/unique gifts, I discovered this site:

http://www.wickedcoolstuff.com/

How can you go wrong with Monty Python toys or "My Other Car Is The Millenium Falcon" car window signs?
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Thanks Star. I just have to get that Christmas Story Leg Lamp Stocking for my son as that's his favorite movie of all time. I found a t-shirt when I was in AZ with Ralphie on it and it says "I double dog dare you."

Unk, I was walking past a gifty/antiquey store last weekend and in the window was ... a LEG LAMP! It had the high heel and fishnet stocking and everything, like in the movie! I took pictures on my phone, and would post them except I don't actually have the cord to get pictures OFF my phone.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

UncleScott....have you heard about or been to Ralphie's house???? I know it is in OH somewhere....near Cleveland I think.

Some guy got word that the original house was up for auction on EBay and won the auction (he told his wife about it later on!!!), restored it back to the way it looked in the movie, and also bought a house across the street which he opened up into a museum. The actor who played Ralphie's younger brother donated his snowsuit to the museum....you know the one where the poor kid couldn't put his arms down!

He also sells the lamps now.....ships out in a wooden box marked FRAGILE of course.

And...I just did a search on EBay......there are a bunch of them up for auction right now! Also ornaments; stockings, nightlight, even a string of lights of all the legs. What a hoot!

I can't wait to have it on for 24 hours yet again this year!

Electric sex in the window!
    I so love that movie - gotta see what's for sale!
    "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough." - Mario Andretti

FORT Fogey
    Quote Originally Posted by MamaC;2171559;
    UncleScott....have you heard about or been to Ralphie's house???? I know it is in OH somewhere....near Cleveland I think.

Some guy got word that the original house was up for auction on EBay and won the auction (he told his wife about it later on!!!), restored it back to the way it looked in the movie, and also bought a house across the street which he opened up into a museum. The actor who played Ralphie's younger brother donated his snowsuit to the museum....you know the one where the poor kid couldn't put his arms down!

He also sells the lamps now.....ships out in a wooden box marked FRAGILE of course.

And...I just did a search on EBay......there are a bunch of them up for auction right now! Also ornaments; stockings, nightlight, even a string of lights of all the legs. What a hoot!

I can't wait to have it on for 24 hours yet again this year!

The house is in Cleveland - just out of downtown in the Tremont neighborhood. They've also done a stage show of the movie at the Cleveland Playhouse for the past couple of years. Twenty years later, Cleveland is FINALLY embracing our connections to the best Christmas movie of all time.

The irony of the house is that the outdoor scenes were filmed there, but the interior filming was done in Toronto - not the house!

+ Reply to Thread