+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Holiday Gift Ideas

I'm giving 1045 hours of free AOL to everyone on my list. Then they can re-gift it to someone else. See how thoughtful I am! :santawave

Quote Originally Posted by SnowflakeGirl
    Oriental Trading Company sells handy kits that are really adorable. :
    SFG, What's you're experience been with OTC? My wife gets the catalog in the mail all the time and is always thinking about ordering but she's not sure if the stuff is total junk or not given how inexpensive the things are.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    FH-I know you posed the question to SFG, but I have to chime in. I have ordered a lot of stuff from OTC. I think overall, the stuff is pretty reasonable quality. The pictures are very telling on the cheese factor if you know what I mean. The crafty items are great for class parties and stuff which is mostly what I've ordered. Plus the bag stuffer items are good.

Good luck!

Thanks, ineedalife, I'll relay this info to my wife. IMO the stuff looks ok for the price. She's looking at it for little projects to do with our 2 yr old so I'm sure it would be fine for that.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

OTC would be great for craft projects for kids. The kits are only like $4 to make a dozen little ornaments, and we're talking pipe cleaner reindeer, here, not hand-carved ivory angels or something. But they make great little gifts or bulk stocking stuffers if you have a lot of people on your list.

But, FinallyHere, you can tell your wife that their customer service is pretty good. I've never had a problem with them. And I just ordered gifts for people from their sister site, Terry's Village, and all those items came in great condition and were very reasonably priced. Like I got this adorable wood perpetual angel calendar for someone, and it was only $20.

Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Just tossing out an idea for those who might need a generic type gift. (I hate to say it but thank goodness that I have a different set of employees this year, cause I give the same thing every time) My employees get a coffee mug with candy and a nice pen and box cutter (that's a me thing cause those are what they need at work and forever drive me crazy borrowing mine) as well as a $20 movie theater gift card. This year I changed it up just a tad and found these really great candy holders that are actually shaped like pieces of candy (cheap at Big Lots) and filled them up and attached the movie card like a little gift tag with ribbon. I'm just lucky I only have 6 employees cause that's a bit more than any boss has ever spent on me, but I like to try and do something special.

AMC theaters this year went to the cards instead of paper gift certificates and they are good for admission and concessions...that's my theater of choice every year since they are really popular here in town...but always an easy gift if you aren't sure what somebody will like. (not to mention that I'm HORRIBLE at buying for guys and 5 of my 6 employees this year are guys so there was no doubt that's what I was gonna get)

Thanks SFG!

Christmas Gift Ideas

I did a search and couldn't find a thread on this so if there is one, please merge it.

I'm looking for tried and true successful gift ideas for Christmas. Not necessarily expensive ones, but those that were really a hit. I realize gifts differ due to personalities and likes and dislikes.

What have you given or been given that you really appreciated and remember. I'm sure there's lot of great examples out there! Even really creative ideas!

Four weeks and counting! Thanks for sharing!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I'll start by saying that I love gadgets, particularly if there are two or more things combined to make one really cool thing, and I love making stuff. So what I've loved the most over the years were a Swiss army knife (my initial reaction was WTF? Why is Mr. Rattus giving me a knife for Christmas? - but it became one of the few things that I always carried in my purse) and kits for making things - origami, ceramic painting, silk screening, etc.

So basically, anything that is given to me by someone who has taken the time to learn anything at all about me and taken the trouble to go out of their way to get something that would appeal to my personal sensibilities is a good gift to me.

Conversely, I hate getting books from people I know really well, and I always have. It's not that I'm not a voracious reader (I am) and it's not like I don't own a few thousand books (I do), and I know that books are the preferred gift for a huge number of people, it's just a reaction to hearing for years the conversation that goes "I don't know what to get so-and-so for Christmas - I'll just go get them a book".
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

FORT Fogey
    For people I know well, I think the most important thing is to really give thought (and observe) what kinds of gifts the person really appreciates. As Rattus said, when you get one of those "this works for everyone" gifts from someone you're close to, it's rather discouraging - like they just went through the motions of gift giving. I HATE getting gifts that are obviously the giver going through a store, seeing something he or she likes, and trying to come up with someone to give it to. I usually try to follow the guide of giving people what they like to give (sister gives lots of clothes, so I buy her clothes, etc) and it usually works pretty well.

When I'm giving gifts to people I don't know as well (co-workers, etc) I like doing the easy but hand made thing. One year, I made bath salts for a bunch of people, and that worked pretty well. Even for the people who aren't really into baths, they could at least appreciate the time taken to make something especially for them.

+ Reply to Thread