+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: People Dropping By

Quote Originally Posted by mstvfan
    Hee hee...you described my house exactly! I would say that 80 percent of the time, I am plagued by clutter problems. I am a reforming yard sale fanatic/pack rat, and I also love my time relaxing at home in my flop clothes. I like to have a bit of notice before someone drops by. That way, I can attempt to make myself and the house look presentable.
    I wish at times that I was more like friends and family members of mine who enjoy drop in company, but I think I am a hermit woman in training.
    Same here except I am an artist to boot and so I also have lots of art stuff sitting around... reading material too anything from books to magazines to travel brochures;you name it! Hardly anyone comes to my house except for my fella and occasionally family members so if anyone else shows up I relaly, really get embarrassed if they don't call. Last week I was expecting a man to come give me an estimate on a new heat and air system for the house and I went to the grocery store intending to come home and tidy up. I left a horrendous mess in the living room... a big box of assorted trash in the middle of the living room floor surrounded by papers, magazines, packaging from Christmas deliveries, etc, also the floor in the l.r. and hallway needed to be vacuumed in the worst possible way because I tracked in tons of dry grass particles, etc while doing yard work that morning-- also I had not dusted in a while When I returned from the grocery store, the AC contractor was waiting in my driveway, 1 1/2 hrs. early! I was about to die of embarrassment the entire time he was there....I was even trying to avoid turning on any excess lights--like THAT would have hidden the mess! Call first--call first--call first!

I never go to someone's house without calling. Last time I did it I was 17 and walked in on my boyfriend with his new (newer) girlfriend. Yikes. That cured me of the desire to just run on over.

We rarely get people stopping in, most people know we have kids and therefore need to shovel out the living room before we can have someone in. The one major time we had an old friend of my husband's drop by who lived about 6 hours away. We hadn't seen him in about 4 years. The night he stopped by I was sick with strep throat and pregnant. My oldest was also sick with st and 2 years old. I had broken the sink somehow and my husband was trying to fix it so stuff was every where including dirty dishes. Not to mention how annoyed my husband was at the time because plumbing is not one of his skills...or at least at the time it wasn't he has since gotten better. And here comes this single guy dropping by.

I'm sure that little visit put back marriage and fatherhood for him by about 8 years.
    I could go east, I could go west, it was all up to me to decide. Just then I saw a young hawk flyin' and my soul began to rise. ~Bob Seger

Princess
    I returned from the grocery store, the AC contractor was waiting in my driveway, 1 1/2 hrs.
    And you just know that if you had cleaned up first, he would have been 1 1/2 hrs late (or not showing up at all)!

I never go to someone's house without calling. Last time I did it I was 17 and walked in on my boyfriend with his new (newer) girlfriend.
    Ouch, Nancy! Not fun.

Spiderman 2 - June 30 audiomaster's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by nlmcp
    I never go to someone's house without calling. Last time I did it I was 17 and walked in on my boyfriend with his new (newer) girlfriend. Yikes. That cured me of the desire to just run on over.
    Oops !

As I was reading this a knock came at my door. It was some Spanish speaking "missionaries". They knock on my door every three to six months and ask if I speak Spanish. Each time I tell the same three ladies that I do not and then they ask me if I know any of my neighbors that do speak Spanish. What is wrong with this picture? #1 You did not call before you came(you should have my number by now as often as you visit). #2 I am the same person you saw last time. Do you just think I might have learned Spanish in the last few months? #3 I am not sending these sweet ladies to any of my neighbor's houses. They hate me as it is.

I know these ladies are on a mission and God Bless Them. I just do not want them knocking on my door. They keep knocking until you answer the door too. They will not go away until someone answers...so I always answer the door to get the dog to settle down. Grrr!
    It occurred to me that no matter how bleak things might seem at times, at least I have a head. ----Stargazer

Princess
    Do you just think I might have learned Spanish in the last few months?
    Of course! So that you will be able to absorb whatever they are trying to tell you . (Well, either that or they have a really short memory )

(Love your new av. Feif!)

It's nice to know that I am not alone! I hate 'pop ins'. I think it's really rude!
    My husband works steady graveyard so our household routine is not that of a 'normal' family. Our family time is well choreographed, if you drop by at one of these times you will be depriving us of our very precious alone time. ... with that said.. my father is the king of 'pop ins'
    He pops by after work, as we are about to leave to go somewhere - and he doesn't seem to see that we are in boots, coats and hats - he visits. (before you start feeling sorry for him let me tell you that he lives with his wife, a woman that is only 10 yrs older than me and her daughter (17) so he's not a lonely old man looking for some company)

Bad 'pop in' story.
    About 3 years ago we were celebrating our 3rd wedding anniversary. This was in May and our daughter had just been born that March (making her 3 months old) My husband was working nights so I had been taking care of our baby 24/7 since her birth. I was exhausted. I told hubby that the perfect anniversary for me was to get the baby settled, order in chinese and watch a movie in bed. So thats exactly what we did. We ignored the incesant ringing phone and enjoyed our evening. We were spending time alone (finally) and getting amorous and someone starts banging on the door and ringing the bell. It didn't stop. Afraid that it would wake the baby (and cut our alone time short) I went to check who was at the door. Hubby had forgotten to close the blinds on the back door so as soon as I reached the main floor our visitor had full view of me. (Luckily I had thought to put on my robe) Who should be standing there? My father and his wife and my step sister.
    So I had to go answer the door - they'd seen me.
    My dad walked into my house, took in my state of undress and proceeded to tell me how they had been calling all night, they wanted to come and drop off an anniversary card to us. They decided to come and drop it off in person. When they saw the car in the driveway they decided they should come in for a visit. And so they did. :rolleyes My dear husband stayed upstairs and went to sleep and left me to deal with my family.
    We still tell this story and it happened 3 years ago. Now everytime I say bye to my dad I say I'll see you soon... but CALL FIRST. He doesn't
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I saw the title of this thread and thought "I have to go complain"... I forgot I had started it

That really is too bad about your Pops though Duxx!
    "Rice is great when you're hungry and want 2,000 of something' -- Mitch Hedberg

LMAO Cali! You know it's a subject that gets your blood boiling when you start the thread then come back to share your sentiments again.
    Not much I can do about my dad. Our kiddo is older now so ignoring the door/phone/pebbles thrown at the window isn't quite so hard LOL
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

eny
    FORT Fogey
    I hate people jst dropping by too. Phone first.I have to agree with Duxxy and the wacky shifts thing. Just because you are 9-5 doesn't mean the rest of the world is. I have told people to go away in my best crazy cat lady voice. Just because you showed up- doesn't mean you are getting in....

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345