+ Reply to Thread
Page 44 of 56 FirstFirst ... 343536373839404142434445464748495051525354 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Canadians are there here?

MRD

Re: How many Canadians are there here?

What bothers me is that the charities hire telemarketing companies to make the calls. The companies get a percentage of the "take" and it's a high percentage. So I no longer give to anyone that calls because I know a lot of the money is not actually going to the charity. I tell them I have my charities and I give to those only and please do not call back.
    Que me amat, amet et canem meum
    (Who loves me will love my dog also)

I had one call once and they started their spiel. I interupted them and asked, "Do you want money?" Instead of answering my question they began their spiel all over again. Once again I interupted them, "Do you want money?" Once again they avoided the question so then I got cranky and said "Look, it is a simple yes or no answer, that is all I am looking for, do you want me to give you money?" The lady stuttered a bit and then said "Well yes, but.." And I cut her off immediately by telling her I do not give ANYTHING over the phone or at my door and hung up.

I also know a person who received a call from MADD. She had donated $10 at some point and considering she is a low income senior I think that was kind of her. Anyways MADD sent their bulldogs after her and were not only rude they IMO tried to strong arm her into a much larger donation (they started at $100 and worked their way down) when she tried to explain she simply could not afford it they pulled the guilt card. A few days after she told me about this I happened to also get a call from them and well lets just say I wasn't very pleasant and have yet to get another call from them. Truthfully it is a waste of their time to call my house.

I do wish they were included on the DNCL.

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2;3210155;
    I had one call once and they started their spiel. I interupted them and asked, "Do you want money?" Instead of answering my question they began their spiel all over again. Once again I interupted them, "Do you want money?" Once again they avoided the question so then I got cranky and said "Look, it is a simple yes or no answer, that is all I am looking for, do you want me to give you money?" The lady stuttered a bit and then said "Well yes, but.." And I cut her off immediately by telling her I do not give ANYTHING over the phone or at my door and hung up.

I also know a person who received a call from MADD. She had donated $10 at some point and considering she is a low income senior I think that was kind of her. Anyways MADD sent their bulldogs after her and were not only rude they IMO tried to strong arm her into a much larger donation (they started at $100 and worked their way down) when she tried to explain she simply could not afford it they pulled the guilt card. A few days after she told me about this I happened to also get a call from them and well lets just say I wasn't very pleasant and have yet to get another call from them. Truthfully it is a waste of their time to call my house.

I do wish they were included on the DNCL.
    The bad thing is, that MADD isn't the one doing the calling. They hire companies to do it and they are the ones that use the strong arm tactics.
    I realize that the Charities themselves can't do their own calling (not cost effective, etc.), b ut the companies they hire do not well represent the charities by acting the way they do.

The worst call I got was from Shriner's (many years ago). They wanted me to send money so a kid could go to the circus. Well, first off, I hate circuses, am not particulary fond of the way the animals are used etc. It's my personal opinion and I just don't go to them or take my kids to them. I didn't go into any of that, but replied I support the United Way and the Cancer Society (which I do) and the woman went off on me, "Don't you want a child to be able to go to the circus??" Actually, no I don't. It still makes me mad when I think about it

MRD

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3210211;
    The worst call I got was from Shriner's (many years ago). They wanted me to send money so a kid could go to the circus. Well, first off, I hate circuses, am not particulary fond of the way the animals are used etc. It's my personal opinion and I just don't go to them or take my kids to them. I didn't go into any of that, but replied I support the United Way and the Cancer Society (which I do) and the woman went off on me, "Don't you want a child to be able to go to the circus??" Actually, no I don't. It still makes me mad when I think about it
    I thought the Shriner's supported children's hospitals? I know the Shriners have their own circus, but I thought that was part of the way they raised money for the hospitals. Huh, that's interesting.

I'd be much more inclined to support children's hospitals than circuses. On the other hand, I know that at the museum, we get a lot of sponsors that donate money for underprivileged children to visit the museum for our education programs. Different thing, I know, but I know that it's important for children to have other opportunities, but again, I'd be more willing to support a trip to a musuem or something than a circus.

I guess there were too many people trying to register and it crashed!! Can you believe that? I sure can!

As for the election.. I'm really just not interested. I know who I'm voting for, mostly because I know the person. Otherwise, I could really not be bothered and I find that really sad.

Hey Fellow Canadians! Just wishing everyone a Happy Thanksgiving Long Weekend coming up! Woo HOO! Who's having turkey with trimmings? What are your plans? What are your traditions?

I have no plans and any tradition I've tried to keep within our family has slowly died due to non-participation on behalf of my fellow family members.

Oh, and I hope that everyone remembers to VOTE on Tuesday, even though you may be full of turkey!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

My kids are all coming home and bringing friends! I am going to do an 18 pound turkey, spiral ham, mashed potatoes, dressing, wild rice, a veggie or two (haven't pinned that down), apple pie, and pumpkin cheesecake. I am lucky because my hubby is a good cook and loves to help. He does the meats and makes the best stuffing I have ever had. He says the secrect is using fresh herbs as well as the dried. I am heading out to do a mega shop today, but am picking up a fresh turkey on Sunday morning. The weather is supposed to be nice this weekend so I am hoping we can be outside for part of it!

MRD

Happy Thanksgiving to all my Canadian friends!!!!!

Dang canuck, that sounds like quite a feast. Got room for one more?

+ Reply to Thread