+ Reply to Thread
Page 43 of 56 FirstFirst ... 333435363738394041424344454647484950515253 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Canadians are there here?

Re: How many Canadians are there here?

I am looking for a non-biased place for information on the election. What the issues are and where everyone stands. Can anyone help me find it? I know my vote won't really count (I'm in Reformer country, now known as Conservative country) but I would at the least like to be informed and everywhere I look it seems as though the information is very one sided. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2;3208600;
    I am looking for a non-biased place for information on the election. What the issues are and where everyone stands. Can anyone help me find it? I know my vote won't really count (I'm in Reformer country, now known as Conservative country) but I would at the least like to be informed and everywhere I look it seems as though the information is very one sided. Thanks!
    Oh, good, another disillusioned Alberta voter. I've been looking around online for something like that - a kind of list with the main issues (economy, environment, healthcare, etc.) and the four major party platforms on each. Can't find it, and I'm sick to death of wading through op-ed pieces. If I wanted to read election blogs... I've been going through the paper's election coverage and to be honest, it hasn't helped me make up my mind. The incumbent in our area is Conservative and it's a forgone conclusion he's going to get elected again. By most of the hundred or so people who are likely to turn out.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;3209251;
    Oh, good, another disillusioned Alberta voter. I've been looking around online for something like that - a kind of list with the main issues (economy, environment, healthcare, etc.) and the four major party platforms on each.
    That is exactly what I am looking for! Then at least I can decide what is important to me and decide from there. No wonder there is low voter turnout, they make it more complicated than it needs to be & many think what is the point? Don't get me wrong, I haven't missed an election since I have been eligible to vote but it often seems like a foregone conclusion which candidate will win their riding. Especially here.

CCL

Last edited by CCL; 10-01-2008 at 01:40 PM.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Sick of telemarketers? I have one duct cleaning company that just won't stop calling no matter what I say. On Sept. 30, the government enacted a "do not call list" and it was so popular the site crashed. It appears to be working now and out of desperation I registered. It's an interesting read even if you don't want to register. Here's the link:

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/index-eng

Quote Originally Posted by canuckinchile;3209800;
    Sick of telemarketers? I have one duct cleaning company that just won't stop calling no matter what I say. On Sept. 30, the government enacted a "do not call list" and it was so popular the site crashed. It appears to be working now and out of desperation I registered. It's an interesting read even if you don't want to register. Here's the link:

https://www.lnnte-dncl.gc.ca/index-eng
    Yup! I did it yesterday! The two things I do not like about it is that they have until the end of October to keep calling you and this does not include charities. There are some very rude charity people out there. I give what I can to who I want and there are good charities that I do not give to simply because they phone.

I registered with Do Not Call as soon as I could get through.

Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2;3209867;
    I give what I can to who I want and there are good charities that I do not give to simply because they phone.
    Same here. I never give to the Liver Foundation (or whatever it's actually called) because I never got any telemarketing calls or receiving any requests for donations through the mail until I gave them money about twenty years ago. Then suddenly, every disease in the book was hounding me. I eventually got an answering machine and have screened my calls for the past two decades.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by imajunkie2;3209867;
    Yup! I did it yesterday! The two things I do not like about it is that they have until the end of October to keep calling you and this does not include charities. There are some very rude charity people out there. I give what I can to who I want and there are good charities that I do not give to simply because they phone.
    Better than nothing, I say.

The second you know it's a fundraising call, say nothing and quietly put the phone back on the cradle. In other words...hang up immediately. Works great.

I just get sick of the ringing at the same time 3 or 4 times a week. I talked to the guy a couple of times, told him I wasn't interested, not to call, yada, yada, yada, and the SAME guy (it's not even a big company) calls. It's bad when you recognize the voice. Next time, I am answering and telling him I on the list etc. and we'll see what happens.

I'm on the list here in the states and I never, ever get calls except political ones during the elections. Occasionally I'll get FOP calling or the Kidney foundation but it is very rare.

+ Reply to Thread