+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 56 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Canadians are there here?

FORT Fogey
    Another canuck here! Albertan i am, it's snowed hard recently but let up, Il fait frais.

No snow here ,but you all know that.I'm on the west coast.It's pretty cold,though.
    FANTASIZE!!!!!! It's better than the real thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jules77
    Tell us a story Shayla
    OK.

Well, when I finished up grad school, we had to fill out a card before our graduation day. On it was a blank for our "hometown." We moved around a lot when I was a kid, so I wasn't comfortable writing any city's name down as my home. I'm more connected to the places I've lived as an adult than as a child.

Anyway, my first instinct was to write down some celestial phenomenon, galaxy, or star cluster. So I wrote down "The Pleiades" just to be ornery.

The registrar sent me a postcard indicating that information was missing from my form. They wrote, "Hometown: ???"

I thought, fine!, in my continued show of rebellion. And yet, it wasn't their fault that they thought that I, like most people in my Northwesterly hideaway town, was a space cadet. I was, but that's beside the point.

I figured that, if only I chose a realistic-sounding real life town, then the registrar would be satisfied. I've often had fantastic envisionings about what it means to be a Newfie, so I asked a Haligonian acquaintance about city names in Newfoundland, and "Halfway House" was my favorite.

When I graduated, the lovely graduation playbill thing (which featured a list of all the graduates in my department and the order of the ceremony) listed my name and, right next to it, my prized hometown of Halfway House, Newfieland. A good snicker was had by all (by all who knew me). I was born in Florida.

Hope that story didn't threadjack too profoundly. If anyone's from Newfoundland, please feel free to give me details on where I'm from, or just shovel heaps of snow at me. Either way.

Leo
    Premium Member
    That's an interesting story right there! Thanks for sharing.

I'm a canuck from good ol' British Columbia.
    It's Peanut Butter Jelly Time!

I have a new love now JunkieGirl's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    Unless, of course, you are in central Saskatchewan *pauses to don parka, toque, thermal underwear, Sorel boots*
    (and I have a good supply of that gear 'cause I'm originally from Winnipeg)

:santabear

That is soooo cool Jane. I am in Thunder Bay, On. Born and raised. Moved to Winnipeg for a few and off to Regina, back to Thunder Blunder Bay....dreaming of Alberta.......then BC lol

Quote Originally Posted by averagejane
    Unless, of course, you are in central Saskatchewan *pauses to don parka, toque, thermal underwear, Sorel boots*
    (and I have a good supply of that gear 'cause I'm originally from Winnipeg)

:santabear
    You might rival me then. I mean, tonight it was probably -25 with the windchill, and when your job involves working the tim's drive thru, well... yeah. It's cold here, and only just getting started. -40 here we come!
    Quote Originally Posted by Siso
    Another canuck here! Albertan i am, it's snowed hard recently but let up, Il fait frais.
    Whereabouts in Alberta? I know Edmonton just got a lot of snow.

One more Canuck checking in - from Oshawa Ontario, near Toronto.

"I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

hosers!

Merry Christmas from the Great White North fellow hosers!

:santawink

:santawave

P.S. I know where Gravenhurst is, I've been there too.
    Salt of the earth people there I tell ya.

Me in my snowsuit:

*thread bump*

It's been a month and a half since anyone here admitted to being Canadian, thought I'd give the newbies a chance to sign up!
    "I'm telling you - it's a madhouse out there. I feel like Charlton Heston waking up in the field and seeing the chimp on top of the pony." ~ Dennis Miller

+ Reply to Thread