+ Reply to Thread
Page 37 of 56 FirstFirst ... 272829303132333435363738394041424344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Canadians are there here?

Re: How many Canadians are there here?

As a Brit living in Canada when I say American I mean US American, not North American.
    I've never met a single Canadian in my ten years here who has ever referred to themselves as anything other than Canadian, in the same way Brits rarely seem to refer to themselves as European.
    I never say I'm European, I say I'm British or English.
    Although the subject of being American has never beee raised that I can recall, I can't imagine anyone I know wanting to be called American rather than Canadian.
    In fact, people tend to want to emphasize the fact they are Canadian, in my experience.
    Last edited by fluff; 08-14-2008 at 11:12 PM.
    "That's Numberwang!"

I'm Canadian and when I say/hear American I mean a US citizen. However, when in South America they lumped Canadians and Americans together, as Americans (North Americans). It took me a while to figure that out. They also referred to themselves as Americans at times, as they are "South Americans" A lot of Latinos I met did not understand that to a North American, the term American referred to the US.

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3165812;
    I'd like to ask all you Canadians a question. If someone refers to an American, do you think that refers to people from the United States--or Canada as well?

I ask because a Canadian woman I met was enraged that people weren't referring to her as an American, but rather as a Canadian. I didn't want to infuriate her, so I kept quiet. But I tend to think of U.S. folks when I hear "American" and of folks from Canada as "Canadian."

Thanks for your input!
    No question in my mind ...

American = USA

Canadian = Canada

North American = USA or Canada or Mexico

Also I really don't want to offend anyone but I have to ask the question. Lois, was she an immigrant to Canada or born and raised? If she was an immigrant then I can better understand her confusion.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba-Jo-Lyn;3165850;
    Lois, was she an immigrant to Canada or born and raised? If she was an immigrant then I can better understand her confusion.
    No, she was born and raised in Canada. She was a nice woman, until someone referred to me as American and her as Canadian. It was the oddest thing and the first time I had heard it. I can certainly understand foreigners lumping U.S. Americans and Canadians together...but even then that doesn't seem to happen too often.

That does surprise me but she has the right to her opinion even though it's wrong.

I'm finally getting over my annoyance of how people around the world say "Edmonton, Canada or Toronto, Canada" instead of "Edmonton, Alberta, Canada or Toronto, Ontario, Canada". Really used to bug me until I thought about the fact that I say most world cities followed by their country instead of including the province or territory they are in.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

On a cupcake mission! Lois Lane's Avatar

This is interesting! So if you were going to refer to Chicago, you'd say, "Chicago, U.S."? 'Cause in the States, we'd refer to it as Chicago, IL. I never thought of it the other way (typical self-centered American! )

Well see that's why I used to get all upset. The US is the one country where people usually say the state like Chicago, Illinois or Los Angeles, California without even saying the country so I always got pissed off when people wouldn't say our provinces. Anyways, it's more like Paris, France or London, England, or Rome, Italy that got me to change the way I was thinking. Although I have started to say the US cities without their states just to be fair and neutral.

Quote Originally Posted by Bubba-Jo-Lyn;3165915;
    That does surprise me but she has the right to her opinion even though it's wrong. .
    It surprises me, too. I have never met a Canadian who wanted to be referred to as an American. We Canadians are quite happy with our Canadianness, eh.

I'm finally getting over my annoyance of how people around the world say "Edmonton, Canada or Toronto, Canada" instead of "Edmonton, Alberta, Canada or Toronto, Ontario, Canada". Really used to bug me until I thought about the fact that I say most world cities followed by their country instead of including the province or territory they are in.
    I've got to say that I am still, and will probably always be, annoyed by American references (particularly in news items) that neglect province names. Particularly if they are referring to, say, Whitby. Whitby, Canada. Or Prince George. Prince George, Canada. We are the second largest country in the world - I would think narrowing down the location of a relatively unknown town in a news item would be helpful. I will make allowances for overseas news bureaus, because distance does blur things somewhat, but the U.S. is right next door.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Quote Originally Posted by Lois Lane;3165881;
    No, she was born and raised in Canada. She was a nice woman, until someone referred to me as American and her as Canadian. It was the oddest thing and the first time I had heard it. I can certainly understand foreigners lumping U.S. Americans and Canadians together...but even then that doesn't seem to happen too often.
    Maybe it's an inferiority complex.

I am.. you know I am.. I am Canadian!

Anyone else have that jingle pop into their head reading the last few posts?

+ Reply to Thread