+ Reply to Thread
Page 20 of 56 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Canadians are there here?

I don't have a problem with the price of postage going up every year. The price of nearly everything goes up every year and postage probably goes up by a much smaller percentage than pretty much anything else.

I have had an ongoing battle with Canada Post for the past three years, though, but I have to admit that it's the delivery person and not the organization that is at fault. CP has a non-safe drop policy in my neighbourhood, meaning they can't leave parcels in the screen door or the back door but have to leave a notice and have the recipient pick up the parcel at the post office. Our local delivery person, however, is too damn lazy to do that and keeps leaving parcels on my front step for the entire world to see, no matter how much I complain to Canada Post. The last time I was expecting a parcel, though, I taped a copy of all my e-mail complaints to Canada Post along with their responses, and the delivery person seems to have gotten the message. We'll see how long that lasts.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2197896;
    But what about when the red ink signature gets rolled over it. That makes the stamps useless. (We already try to reuse when we can.) They can't have that going over the actual stamp anymore to make the "P" stamps effective. Oh, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

I'd have no problem paying the extra if the service was upped everytime too. Though, I've never had a problem with packages being sent. Just receiving mail that aren't those nasty bills .
    Not sure what you mean about the red ink? Do you mean when the post office puts red ink over the stamp with the date and location (indicating what post office a letter has gone through and when)? Well, that's them cancelling the stamp - you're not supposed to use the stamp after that, as it has already been used! I know sometimes I get envelopes where the stamp hasn't been cancelled and I've been known to pull the stamp off are re-use it, though technically you are not supposed to do that. When I wrote about the permanent stamps being good anytime, I meant that you could find one in your desk drawer ten years from now and still use it, as it would still be valid. I didn't mean that you could reuse the same stamp over and over.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Oh my mistake. Well that makes more sense.
    Hopefully the post office stays open and isn't the next union to go on strike. There seems to be so many here especially (in Sask).

Re: How many Canadians are there here?

I didn't want to start a new "Canada" thread, but I just found this to be so bizarre!!

Warning doesn't keep Aussies from visiting Canada
    Updated Fri. Jan. 25 2008 3:22 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The Australian high commissioner to Canada said the country remained a top destination for Aussie tourists despite a government website that warned visitors should "exercise caution."

William Fisher said Canada still ranks as the top "dream destination" for Australian tourists. More than 200,000 Australians visit Canada each year.

"People vote with their feet and their money," William Fisher told CTV Newsnet on Friday. "If you go to Whistler these days, you're hard pressed to find a Canadian."

An Australian government website lists Canada as a country where travellers need to be cautious about terrorism, dangerous winter driving and cold weather conditions.

The 'Smart Traveller' website, run by Australia's Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, lists Chile, South Korea and Latvia as countries safer than Canada.

Overall, Canada is listed in the second safest category (out of five categories) on the website -- the 'Exercise caution' section. Out of the G8 nations, the U.S., U.K, France, Germany and Italy also are listed in the 'Exercise caution' category.

"We advise you to exercise caution and monitor developments that might affect your safety in Canada because of the risk of terrorist attack," says the travel advisory.

"Pay close attention to your personal security and monitor the media for information about possible new safety or security risks."

Fisher said the terrorist threat warning is not specific to Canada, and has been posted for about three years.

"The warning is a general one for all western countries, and it followed some quite nasty statements by al Qaeda," Fisher said. "Poor old Canada is, just like the rest of us, a western country."

The website also warns that "heavy snowfalls and ice in the winter" can make driving dangerous.

"The wind-chill factor can also create dangerously cold outdoor conditions," says the warning.

Fisher, who lives in Ottawa, told CTV Newsnet he enjoys the winter but is somewhat jealous of Toronto's weather, which he jokingly referred to as Canada's "subtropical south."

Avalanches, earthquakes, and fires

Meanwhile, B.C. and Alberta are both listed as being subject to avalanches. B.C. is also listed as "an active earthquake zone."

Travellers heading to Canada between May and September are also told to look out for tornadoes in some areas.

The website further warns about bush and forest fires which "can occur any time in Canada."

The advisory says crime in Canada is comparable to that in Australia, with petty crime such as pick pocketing and street theft occurring at tourist destinations and hotels.

Japan has the safest ranking of the G8 nations, falling into the first category, 'Be alert to own security.' Russia is listed as the most dangerous of the G8 countries, ranking in the third category -- 'High degree of caution.'

On the website for Foreign Affairs and International Trade Canada, there is no official warning for Australia. However, travellers are advised to watch out for pickpockets and to avoid demonstrations because they could "turn violent."

There are also warnings for backpackers about attacks and travellers are advised not to accept food and drinks from strangers at bars.
    Source: CTV.ca | Warning doesn't keep Aussies from visiting Canada

What in the world?!

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2770193;
    I didn't want to start a new "Canada" thread, but I just found this to be so bizarre!!

Source: CTV.ca | Warning doesn't keep Aussies from visiting Canada

What in the world?!
    Huh! I'm a little confused - one of the many, many, many things I love about living here is that we, the land, the weather and the people, are so temperate in so many ways (though I do live in Canada's "subtropical south" apparently, where it is currently -4c ).
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I do wish sometimes that here, Sask specifically, our weather was a bit more temperate. But all in all it's really not that bad.
    I just can't remember the last time we had an earthquake or an avalanche .
    It seems so silly.

That's very strange that their tourism report would be so misleading. I'm sure wiser heads prevail when they are thinking of travelling here.

canadian angel: Come to think of it, I don't remember the last time we had a tsunami, hurricaine, or ice age!
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

Maybe we just miss them and they're only visable to those trying to discourage people from coming here?!

It feels like an ice age here lately though. I'm not liking this -20C weather without factoring in windchill!

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_angel;2770676;
    Maybe we just miss them and they're only visable to those trying to discourage people from coming here?!

It feels like an ice age here lately though. I'm not liking this -20C weather without factoring in windchill!
    You guys got this blizzard today too? The snow is blowing horizontally, there are warnings for freezing skin, and yes, it's around -25 with windchill. Tomorrow, more of the same.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I don't think we've got the blizzard yet. We had one last week. But it's supposed to be extremely cold. Hovering right around -25C without the wind sometimes higher right till next Sunday. Yuck! I wish I didn't have to go out as much this week, but I will more than ever. Haha. My poor car is not used to being outside, let alone outside in this type of weather.

+ Reply to Thread