+ Reply to Thread
Page 17 of 56 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Canadians are there here?

What a great location for retirement! It's my dream to eventually live near the ocean (plus I wish I was already planning for retirement, so I'm pretty jealous. ) I've never been to the East Coat myself, but I've had a couple of wonderful friends who were originally from Newfoundland. If they are any indication of the kind of people who live there, you will really enjoy your new home.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2125644;
    I'm bumping this thread because I'm hoping that some charming east coaster, former or current, can give me a bit of an overview on what it's like to live in (or spend a fair bit of time in, at least) Saint John. Mr. Rattus and I are giving consideration to where we might like to retire and based on general location, city size and housing prices, Saint John is coming out ahead. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    I would love to move out west to British Columbia where the winters are less cold and there isn't that much snow on the ground.

Quote Originally Posted by AJane;2125656;
    What a great location for retirement! It's my dream to eventually live near the ocean (plus I wish I was already planning for retirement, so I'm pretty jealous. ) I've never been to the East Coat myself, but I've had a couple of wonderful friends who were originally from Newfoundland. If they are any indication of the kind of people who live there, you will really enjoy your new home.
    I love, love, love the Maritimes and think the people are wonderful. In fact, the nicest thing that anyone has ever said to me was that they thought I was from Nova Scotia . I've spent some time in Nova Scotia and would dearly love to retire there, but because Germans and Americans are buying up large chunks of property for their vacation homes, the house prices are, while not unreasonable for someone with a reasonably decent paying job, aren't what we're looking to pay as people on a fixed income. What I'm gathering about Saint John is that it "isn't renowned for its beauty, but is in a spectacular location", and it seems lively enough, which will still be important to me as an old broad. Plus I fell in love with a house on MLS that is going for $75,000, has an ocean view and hiking trails right out back. Aaahh, heaven.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

I've never been "out east" and would love to do a long holiday that way. An ex-boyfriend of mine went east to get his MBA and never came back. He's lived in Halifax for ages and absolutely loves it. He's originally from Ireland.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

CCL
    I love out East, particularly PEI. I always confuse St John's & Saint John.
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2125833;
    I love out East, particularly PEI. I always confuse St John's & Saint John.
    The helpful little tip Mr. Rattus gave me for remembering the difference is that St. John's has more letters in it than St. John (this was before he learned that you have to spell "Saint" in full in Saint John), and Newfoundland has more letters it than New Brunswick. I happily accepted that until I realized the Newfoundland and New Brunswick have exactly the same number of letters . Still, it has stuck.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

Looking for a way out Bubba-Jo-Lyn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2125701;
    Plus I fell in love with a house on MLS that is going for $75,000, has an ocean view and hiking trails right out back. Aaahh, heaven.
    I've never been either but I would love to visit the East Coast. I've been to the Wet Coast many times. If you can get a house that you love for $75K with an ocean view scoop it up right away.
    Remember: Mentioning Jesus in your speech: small government. Doing what Jesus asked: big government - Stephen Colbert

Inside me lives a skinny woman crying to get out. But I can usually shut the b*tch up with cookies. (Unknown)

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by Rattus;2126024;
    The helpful little tip Mr. Rattus gave me for remembering the difference is that St. John's has more letters in it than St. John (this was before he learned that you have to spell "Saint" in full in Saint John), and Newfoundland has more letters it than New Brunswick. I happily accepted that until I realized the Newfoundland and New Brunswick have exactly the same number of letters . Still, it has stuck.
    Ha! I was thinking that was helpful until I read on about them having the same number of letters! Newfoundland just seems longer, I guess.
    Do they have a picture of this house that you can post?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL;2126773;
    Do they have a picture of this house that you can post?
    Sadly it seems to be gone. We have lots of time anyway (unfortunately - I'm looking forward to retirement more than I've looked forward to anything else in my life), so we will likely find a house that is just exactly the right house for us. It was very cute, though. A typical east coast shingled salt-box style, sitting at the edge of a forest. And judging by the interior photos, I wouldn't have even needed to paint.

I used to live in Bathurst, but never made it to Saint John, only Moncton. Lots of snow, some more snow, and then in May....snow again! I did really enjoy the Maritimes though, and Halifax is pretty mild in climate. Also, PEI is a beautiful little place. There are few places on the island where you can't see the ocean. Good luck with the search...

+ Reply to Thread