+ Reply to Thread
Page 16 of 56 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Canadians are there here?

giz
    To clarify; my $600,000 house is 1300 square feet. We are talking small here. It's a combination of being a nice neighbourhood, and Victoria being insanely expensive. The "mean" price in Victoria is $450,000 and the "median" price is $525,000. Don't know what the difference is, but you can see it's crazy out here! I think people like nurses should be able to buy homes, but it is not feasible any more.

We're neighbours Rattus.. I live in the same nice little area.. Mind you, my roomates and I rent.. but one was looking into purchasing in the area, and it's actually not as astronomical as we had thought. The cool thing about Toronto housing is that there are so many scummy areas in the city which have new life breathed into them and they become the hot new place.. 5 years ago nobody would have thought to live in Leslieville.. and now it's becoming the hot new place.

Hey Matt64, nice to meet you. It's very true about Toronto neighbourhoods. Every neighbourhood I've lived in since I moved out on my own has gentrified as soon as I left it (Broadview/Danforth, Pape/Danforth, Parkdale, Bathurst/King and now, Leslieville). Actually, we bought a house in Leslieville 20 years ago and told people that the area was up and coming, but people just raised one eyebrow at us and went on their merry way. We sold that house a couple of years ago because it needed too much work, and bought in an area I think they may be trying to rename Ashdale Village. Fine with me, I say. That just means we'll do a little better when we inevitably have to sell this house because we can't afford the property taxes.

So, Matt64, which is your favourite Indian restaurant?
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

giz: I've love to have a 1300 sq. ft. SMALL house....mine is less than 900sq.ft! Now that's small. But I know what you are saying...lots of gorgeous homes out that way.

But I totally agree with housing prices gone crazy this year in particular. My sinister lived in Victoria for 7 years and did not have a chance at a house unless she met someone with money. Which she didn't. Even though she owned her own house here in town before she moved. Now that's she's moved back to Edmonton, she can't afford one here either. She has a good downpayment, but will have to mortgage again. But there's not a lot available.

They say Alberta's booming. Well, I guess we're considered a have province, but honestly, none of it is in my pocket. And it's getting very expensive compared to a couple of years ago. It's incredibly difficult to get and keep good staff in many areas as lots of people are going up north for the big paying jobs in the oilfield. We're also seeing the opposite. Unskilled labor coming over without prospects. I think rental vacancy's are very low, like 1%.

Compared to say Vancouver and TO, we're cheap. But next to the Atlantics and Saskatchewan, we're expensive. It's all relative.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

giz
    misskitty, there are three of us though, plus one very large pillow-sized cat. How many humans are you? I can't remember! As my humans get larger the house seems to get smaller. I actually don't mind the size so much as I mind not having an upstairs. It just seems unnatural not to send the kids upstairs to bed!

giz. There's just me. Little old me. And my two kitts. But once I got furniture in, there's really not a lot of space. As in hallways. And I tend to be the one in the family that has everyone else over which amounts usually to 5 or 6 more adults. Which means that everyone doesn't get a chair to sit in or you move around a lot. Sitting 4 in the dining room is ok. And I use a kitchen table. My spare bedroom is in the basement and is also part storage room Not great. It only fits my old twin bed. And my sweetie is a big guy and tends to bump into things often when he comes over. Although he said it is charming and warm.

In the summer, it's great. I have a veranda, and a small deck and a big yard for lots of chairs. So if everyone is outside, there's no problem. But during the winters, it's a bit confining. I really just need to pare things down some more.

I've never had an "upstairs" but always wanted one too! Funny how that is and no-one in my family or extended has an upstairs. We're all bungalow people.

I've only been to one Indian restaurant in this city so far.. The Host.. it's in Yorkville I think.. Twas good.

Sorry, Matt64. I was making what was to me a humourous comment on the vast number of Indian restaurants in the Bazaar half a block up from where I live. I've always just assumed that everybody who lives in the general vicinity has gone to at least one of them.
    All I wanted was a 45, a stinking 45 - the record or the gun. I'd even settle for the damn malt liquor. - Al Bundy.

This is a joke that only Canadians will get. Well, Albertans maybe.
    ------------------------

Five women were driving across the country. Each one was from a different place, Ontario, P.E.I, BC, Alberta, and Newfoundland.

Shortly after the trip began, the woman from P.E.I Started pulling potatoes from her bag and throwing them out of the window.

What the heck are you doing?" demanded the girl from BC.

"We have so many of these darn things in PEI, I'm Just sick of looking at them!"

A moment later, the gal from BC began pulling apples from her bag and tossing them from the Window.

"What are you doing that for?" asked the gal from Ontario.

"We have so many of these things in BC, I am just Sick of looking at them!"

Inspired, the gal from Alberta opened the car door and pushed the Newfie out.

I'm bumping this thread because I'm hoping that some charming east coaster, former or current, can give me a bit of an overview on what it's like to live in (or spend a fair bit of time in, at least) Saint John. Mr. Rattus and I are giving consideration to where we might like to retire and based on general location, city size and housing prices, Saint John is coming out ahead. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

+ Reply to Thread