+ Reply to Thread
Page 14 of 56 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: How many Canadians are there here?

Quote Originally Posted by Igotalife View Post
    I'm far from Canadian (I'm Texan) but I see a few in here from Alberta. I'm going to be in Alberta (Banff) this coming weekend for a few days and thought I'd come directly to the source of good local info.

Anything not to be missed locally? Sights, bars? Staying at the Fairmont and as I understand it, there are mountains and a lake nearby. Banff is big for skiing yes? So I imagine its great for some good sightseeing now that the snow has melted?

Thanks!
    Hah, you're going to miss me & my hubby by a few days, Igota...we're heading out that way as well.

If you golf, bring your clubs, as there's nice courses. There's horseback trails, if you like horses (I don't, mainly because of a bad experience at Banff - I was on an old nag that insisting on walking perilously close to the edge of a cliff). You'll want to see the Hot Springs, too. Lots of hiking and such, but if you prefer shopping with beverages afterwards Banff is great for that as well. The main street is full of bars and shops, but it's veery expensive, so bring your credit card (not much of a difference b/t the American & Canadian dollars now).

Bring your camera, too...the scenery is absolutely breathtaking.

Oh, and apparently, the spa at the Fairmont totally rocks. My friend & I plan on a day-long treatment during the time we're out there.
    All my life, I have felt destiny tugging at my sleeve.~ Thursday Next
    I don't want to "go with the flow". The flow just washes you down the drain. I want to fight the flow.- Henry Rollins
    All this spiritual talk is great and everything...but at the end of the day, there's nothing like a pair of skinny jeans. - Jillian Michaels

MIA, RIP, or Busy...
    Quote Originally Posted by giz View Post
    And watch out for the bears, seriously!
    This part had me If I snap a picture of a bear, I'll be sure to post it here. Of course, you may only be able to see a leg or an arm in the photo if we're snapping the shot while running away.

Ajane-too bad we won't be around at the same time or I'd grab you for a quick cocktail. Thank you for the recommendations/info everyone....the hiking, lake and hot springs sounds right up our alley.

I am in awe of the Canadian landscape from Vancouver/Whistler to Victoria so I'm anxious to see this part of your country. You guys have it good!
    A Bachelor fan til it dies a slow death and oddly enough, A Rock of Love fan...finest hair extensions from Europe and all. ;-)

I'm 1/6th French Canadian on my dad's side and I'm 1/2 Canadian on my mom's side. She was born in NS and my husband and I plan on visiting there next May. I can't wait. We're going to stay in Halifax for a week and take a day and drive to Oak Park (where my mom and other members of the family were born).
    Hurley: (holding up a Jesus statue) I don't know. I thought there might be a prowler or something.
    Mrs. Reyes: (grabbing the statue) Jesus Christ is not a weapon! - LOST "There's No Place Like Home Pt. 1

http://www1.travelalberta.com/search/resultsK2.cfm

Try this site Igota, we live in the northern rockies and went through Banff et al last summer and I'm planning another trip for this summer. This site is awesome.

Hope you enjoy yourself here and the rockies are amazing!!

Igotalife: Have a great time in Banff! It's just gorgeous. There are also a couple of great yummy home-made Candy places you got to try. Some very good restaurants as well. The spa at the Banff Spring is world-renowned so you must do that.

Are you going to Jasper as well? Through the Columbia Ice Fields? It's worth the trip through the mountains to get there. I actually prefer it to Banff. I'd seriously consider adding it on while you're around.

Attachment 17616Attachment 17617Attachment 17613Attachment 17614Attachment 17615

You must go to Fairmont Jasper Park Lodge and take a canoe ride on the lake and see the Elk or horseback ride. Take the gondola up to the Tea House on the top of the mountain. There's Maligne Lake which is a bit of a drive but has picturesque boat tours to Spirit Island at the end of a huge lake. The Maligne Canyon walk, Pyramid Lake and of course, and Btifspliks retro cafe on main street for mac and cheese.

Are you going to Banff from Calgary? If so, then make sure you see Canada Olympic Park, the Calgary Zoo, and have a picnic in Prince's Island Park.
    Last edited by misskitty; 08-30-2006 at 02:03 AM.
    Live simply ~ Love generously~ Care deeply~ Speak kindly

I'm another Canuck here... I live just north of Toronto, in the GTA as a matter of fact (which is really just a fancy term for the massive expanse of suburbs that keep on growing!) But, as many of the suburbanites, I work in Toronto & commute every day.

Buffy: What is this?
    Willow: A doodle. I do doodle. You too. You do doodle, too. ("Gingerbread")

Xander: Damn it! You know what? I'm sick of this crap. I'm sick of being the guy who eats insects and gets the funny syphilis. As of this moment, it's over. I'm finished being everybody's butt monkey! ("Buffy vs. Dracula")

I just moved to Calgary from Saskatoon and I love it here...except that I will NEVER be able to afford a house...EVER.

Igotalife you will love Banff, its so beautiful, I've been lots but only in the summer. There is so much to do, we hiked a lot, there are so many trails and lots of easy ones. Shopping is awesome, the Ice fields are really neat, and the hot sprinks are super cool, smelly but cool.
    Be careful around Lake Louise, its beautiful, but the locals kinda 'get around' with the tourists, which has spawned the fun name Lake Disease...so if your single watch out for that.

You should come to Calgary too if you have time, I haven't been to the zoo since I was on vacation here when I was little, but I remember it being awesome, we have plans to go this summer as soon as its nicer. Its been raining for about 2 weeks and I heard that last year it rained for all of June. I'll cross my fingers that you get good weather.

LOL I think W5 did an expose on Lake Louise and it's disease M shell. What can you expect from a tourist town? heh heh heh.
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

CCL
    Quote Originally Posted by M_shelll View Post
    I just moved to Calgary from Saskatoon and I love it here...except that I will NEVER be able to afford a house...EVER.
    Yet all the media reports keep raving about the economy in Alberta and how everything is so much more affordable. Maybe it is more expensive than Saskatoon but less expensive than Vancouver or Toronto?
    If you type "google" into google you can break the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by CCL View Post
    Yet all the media reports keep raving about the economy in Alberta and how everything is so much more affordable. Maybe it is more expensive than Saskatoon but less expensive than Vancouver or Toronto?
    I think what all the rave is about is the job market. Just one example full time at Tim Hortons starts at 13.50/hr and full benefits (days) 15.50/hr and full benefits (night)

Employees interview the employer and if you have the slightest good feeling of a prospective employee you hire them on the spot. We hired 2 receptionists for tax season, one got here Friday and started Tuesday, the other was in Ontario when we hired her (over phone) and started the day after she arrived.

What everyone (except Mshelll) isn't talking about is the housing just can't keep up and landlords are gauging the tenants. And unless you plan on spending $300K+ for a house you don't have many options.

+ Reply to Thread