+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday memories?

Holiday memories?

With Thanksgiving this week and the Christmas season having started around Labor Day, I thought it would be nice to have a place for us to talk about how our families celebrated these holidays when we were kids, or how we celebrate them( and that includes Hannukah, or Kwanzaa...) now. (and I hope y'all think this is a wonderful idea and post here, because I'm gonna feel like an idiot if no one does. )

I was thinking about it because my family's holiday activities are very different now than they were when I was young. We used to trade off visiting my mother's and father's families for Thanksgiving and Christmas. My mom's family usually has "Christmas" the weekend before the actual day, to accomodate everyone's work schedules; everybody brings a dish and we all open a gift from the grandparents, and give them ours. What with my mother's siblings and their wives, children, stepchildren, children's spouses, etc., there are about 30 people there usually.
    We used to go to my dad's family on Christmas Day, driving 5 hours to get there by lunch -- another big, family-filled meal -- but due to various deaths in the family we don't do that anymore. Now my mother and sister and I stay home, cook big meals and have friends over to eat. This Thanksgiving, oddly, we're getting four foreign exchange students from a local college who don't have time to go home (and why would they? They don't celebrate Thanksgiving). So it should be very interesting...
    Anyway, I wondered how other people celebrate? Do you have any special traditions or anything? Big family get-togethers or small ones? And does anyone choose to go out to a restaurant for these holiday meals? (I once had to work at Cracker Barrell on Thanksgiving, and the joint was PACKED. With families, not just lonely singles).
    Share.....
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

So I guess this is not the thread to rant about drunken tirades that have taken place at holiday time?

With all of the family obligations my two brothers and I have to fulfill we find that is just easier to have our immediate family get together before Christmas. So this year (as other years) on Dec 19th my brothers and I, and our vairous children and spouses will depart for my mother's (and her husband's) house 2 hours away. Stir into this mix my father, his wife and her daughter, and you have an interesting holiday

In the 23 years since my parents divorce things have gone from down right nasty to very pleasant and familial. My parents (and their various spouses throughout the years) have learned to put petty differences aside in order to see their children and grandchildren all together in one place at the same time for any occasion that arises.
    Everyone brings a dish (my mom and step mom email particulars back and forth) we have a few drinks, in recent years Santa has made an appearance via snowmobile and the kids have a fabulous time!
    I wouldn't trade these most recent holidays for any holiday of my youth. Somethings do get better with the mellowing of age. :santasmil
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

I come from a large family and so does my husband. Our holiday traditions involve lots and lots of talking and laughing and ungodly amounts of food. Presents are secondary to being with each other.

I have one memory that always makes me laugh, though. You guys will think I'm a weirdo, but since most of you already do, I guess it doesn't matter.

One year my cousin brought her pet ferret to the festivities. At the time, my aunt was married to an alcholic gambler who abused her. None of us could stand the sight of him (she later divorced him, thank god). Anyway, he got ahold of this ferret and wouldn't give it back to my cousin. Our family never has any tension or drama so it was very uncomfortable as various family members tried to convince the drunken sod to give up the little crittter. Finally, my Dad leaned over and whispered to him that if you hissed in a ferret's face, they would start purring. Well, the idiot actually tried it and was soon seen screaming and running from the house with a ferret attacking his head

btw-drunken sod and ferret both came out of the incident unharmed
    Last edited by Stargazer; 11-25-2003 at 07:50 PM.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

can you say just desserts??
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Well, I come from norway where there is a state religion, which means that even if you're not particularly religious... Christmas still has a religious and "sacred" kind of atmosphere about it which makes it very beautiful & a special time of the year. After moving out to California I must say I've become quite cynical what Christmas is concerned.... when I see christmas decorations in the windows & hear Christmas tunes in the stores before we even get to Halloween, I just kinda wonder you know... What happened to Christmas?

Thanksgiving however, seems almost like a more important holiday to me than Christmas does... Thanksgiving is not about gifts, trees, who has the most lights & whatever, it's just about spending the day with family & friends & have a good time... I love Thanksgiving & I look forward to it every year. Thanksgiving has the kind of atmosphere that Christmas SHOULD have, but due to stress, money troubles & so on, people (including me) tend to forget the real holiday spirit.

I have a lot of really nice christmas memories, but after moving out here to California, I've started treasuring the Thanksgiving celebration & its memories a lot more

So Happy Thanksgiving everyone (I refuse to wish people a happy holiday before thanksgiving has passed..... lol
    "He who has a why to live for can bear almost any how."

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    ... Finally, my Dad leaned over and whispered to him that if you hissed in a ferret's face, they would start purring. Well, the idiot actually tried it and was soon seen screaming and running from the house with a ferret attacking his head

btw-drunken sod and ferret both came out of the incident unharmed

I should have named this thread FUNNIEST holiday memories...
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

FORT Fogey
    I love thinking about the lengths my dad and granddad would go to making us belive in Santa. One time he was lying beside the driveway w/his glasses all askew pretending he had gotten in a scuffle w/the old elf but he got away.. stuff like that!

My father passed away when I ws in the 4th grade and I'm 53 now so my memories are of long ago. I do remember one year our tree fell over night on Christmas Eve and my Dad went out Christmas morning, brought another tree home and re-decorated it. Our trees were always so huge. This one year I just described he had attached it to the wall with wire to help hold it up and the wire broke.

One of my favorite holiday memories is of my parents bringing my new baby sister home from the hospital. She was born very near Christmas, and when they brought her home for the first time she was inside a big Christmas stocking. I thought that was the greatest gift in the entire world. I was nine years old, now 29 and I still remember it like it was yesterday.

FORT Fogey
    I always hang up the first ornament-- its a soccer ball..

Oh a funny moment- Thanksgiving a few years ago, my dad was lighting the candles, and then he left. I was sitting at the table and all of a sudden I started to smell something weird. The candle was knocked over onto some table cover thing (not our nice tablecloth, thank god) I was freaking out because I was only like 8-9. I yelled "Daddy!!! Its on fire!" He rushed in, just to find that it had barely scorched the cover thingy. I was freaking out for nothing.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast