+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Holiday memories?

Up Where They Belong SurvivorGirl's Avatar
    When I was in preschool, we were having a Thanksgiving lunch thing and there were candles on the table. I wondered what would happen if I put a napkin over the candle. So I tried it. I got in HUGE trouble for that.

Leo
    Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stargazer401
    One year my cousin brought her pet ferret to the festivities. At the time, my aunt was married to an alcholic gambler who abused her. None of us could stand the sight of him (she later divorced him, thank god). Anyway, he got ahold of this ferret and wouldn't give it back to my cousin. Our family never has any tension or drama so it was very uncomfortable as various family members tried to convince the drunken sod to give up the little crittter. Finally, my Dad leaned over and whispered to him that if you hissed in a ferret's face, they would start purring. Well, the idiot actually tried it and was soon seen screaming and running from the house with a ferret attacking his head

btw-drunken sod and ferret both came out of the incident unharmed

How come nothing interesting like that happens to me?

Funny story SG

Not a real exiting story, but As a kid we always had Thanksgiving at our house. I have fond memories of watching the Macy's parade with my sister in the family room on Thanksgiving morning while I could smell the cooking from the kitchen as my mother prepared the food.
    Some people are like slinkies, they're useless until you push them down the stairs.

stargazer's feret story had me in tears. Reminded me of National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation and the squirrel in the tree.

Quote Originally Posted by Wyndemere
    Well, I come from norway ....
    I don't know how to spell it so, I'll post it phonetically, two sin tak. I tried.

would rather be cruising! marybethp's Avatar
    I come from a large family (I'm the youngest of 9), so it was always organized chaos.

My dad passed away when I was 2, so I don't remember holidays with him - I have a few pictures.

However, my Mom (who is an amazing lady) always made every holiday so special. She's a great cook, so meals were always top notch.

I do remember 2 funny things at Christmas when I was a kid. I remember coming out of my room wondering if Santa came and my brother and his girlfriend were kissing on the couch (Ewwww I thought, it was gross to my 4 year old mind). I thought it was the middle of the night, but in reality it was about 11:00. It's just amazing that I can see that entire scene play out in my head - I totally remember everything about that (Vera was wearing a black turtleneck!). Weird to remember something that actually didn't have any tremendous meaning! Secondly, I remember finding out about Santa. I was watching Rudolph, crying about the Abominable Snowman and ran upstairs to find my mom and sister wrapping presents. I suspect I already had an inkling that it wasn't real, but that confirmed it.

In my adult years, my husband and I got engaged under the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree (the year before it had come from my town!), so every year, we make it a point to go see the tree.

If I can avoid the holiday madness, I find it very family-oriented and fun. I'm lucky, because we pretty much lack dysfunction (at least in this part of the country!), so it's always an enjoyable time.

Quote Originally Posted by firegirl
    I love thinking about the lengths my dad and granddad would go to making us belive in Santa. One time he was lying beside the driveway w/his glasses all askew pretending he had gotten in a scuffle w/the old elf but he got away.. stuff like that!
    Aw, that's sweet! What lengths to go to....
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

Lucy you should rename this thread the "make pms'n Dux weepy" LOL
    I love reading all of these funny and heart-warming stories
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

Quote Originally Posted by Duxxy
    Lucy you should rename this thread the "make pms'n Dux weepy" LOL
    I love reading all of these funny and heart-warming stories
    Oh, no -- not PMS AND the stress of the holidays! Poor Duxxy.
    It's such a fine line between stupid, and clever. -- David St. Hubbins

LOL luckily I'm Canadian and thanksgiving passed more than a month ago, I just have to have all of my Christmas stuff planned, bought, wrapped and shipped by Dec 5th - no pressure LOL
    Actually I don't find this time of the year stressful at all. I don't let anyone in my family stress/pressure/impose upon me. If it has slipped anyone's notice, I'm a little outspoken and I don't take a whole lotta crap LOL so the holidays go by swimmingly for me. If I don't like it I ignore it or make sure that what I don't like gets/changed/a meaningful dirty look/a talking to/ uninvited LMAO
    "Education's purpose is to replace an empty mind with an open one."

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast