+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nail Polish - Question for the ladies

Nail Polish - Question for the ladies

I can NEVER get my nail polish to last more than half a day before it gets chips in it! It is so annoying! Does anyone else have this problem? I think I've tried every combination of every brand of polish, base coat, & top coat, but still no luck. I'm willing to listen to any suggestions that anyone might have.
    BTW, I'm referring to natural nails, not acrylic (I can't wear those, I'm allergic)
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

I have found that the OPI Nail Envy is pretty good as a topcoat.I'm a hair stylist and it can keep polish on for two days which is epic for me.It also helps your nails grow and stay strong.A little on the expensive side but worth it!
    FANTASIZE!!!!!! It's better than the real thing.

Holly, you will love me after you try this: Seche Vite, fast-dry top coat. Should be available at your local beauty supply shop. It's a thick topcoat that you can put over anything (so you can use whatever base or color you like). It helps it dry in like 10 minutes and you can get a paintjob to last for at least a week, I kid you not! I love to get french manicures, which are easy to chip, and this stuff can keep my french looking fresh for ages!
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

It helps it dry in like 10 minutes and you can get a paintjob to last for at least a week, I kid you not!
    If I can find this stuff and it works as good as you say, you're so my hero SnowFlakeGirl.

I have the problem where it chips within a few hours so I usually don't bother with nailpolish. About how much does the Seche Vite cost? I'll definitely keep my eyes open for it.

Jules, I love OPI's Nail envy. It's the only thing I've found that actually helps my dry, brittle nails.
    I've never used it as a topcoat, though. I'll have to try that!

A coworker turned me onto NailTek and the stuff ROCKS! Many nail salon "pros" use this line. You can find it at most beauty supply stores or online at www.nailtek.com/choice.htm

I use Formulation II because my nails had become extremely brittle and had been cracking and peeling. Formulation III is for hard or brittle nails and Formulation I is for healthy nails. The process is that you put one coat of the formula on clean nails, one or two coats of your color, then another coat or two of the formula. Each day, you add another coat to strengthen your nails even further. After a week, you repeat the process again.

They also have a formula called Quicken, which drys your nails super fast and provides that extra barrier/top coat.

Bottles can cost anywhere from $7 to $15, depending on where you buy them. It may seem a bit pricey, but it is totally worth it ladies!
    I think Johnny Damon has the SWEETEST mullet in major league baseball!

Thanks ladies! I have OPI Nail Envy, but I just use it by itself as a clear coat. It still chips though The other stuff I have not tried, so you bet I'll be testing these ideas! I appreciate y'all's help! I knew the FORT gals would come to the rescue!
    Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Cryssa, I did a quick search online, and they have it at this site for $8.99.
    http://www.extremenails.com/sechevite.htm
    That seems about what I've spent on it at the stores, and it's definitely worth it. I'm telling you, I found this a few years ago and it totally rocked my world. This stuff is the best, I would swear on my Grandma's good name!

Another tip, if you go the manicurist's, bring your bottle of Seche Vite with you and have your nail person put it on (it has to go on while your polish is wet). I think it makes my manicurists angry, because they know when I use this stuff I don't have to come back in as soon, but you will not regret the chip resistance at all.

Don't want to take my word for it? This is a write-up on Seche Vite from Instyle magazine (I'm just cutting and pasting, so sorry for the freaky formatting):
    INSTYLE MAGAZINE Seche Vite is the first single-procedure top coat to receive patent protection. Seche Vite continues to set the standard for performance, gloss and durability. Should be applied over wet nail polish for best results. Will not drag or streak when applied over fresh nail art. Will not yellow. Nitrocellulose and formaldehyde-free.Seche Vite Dry Fast Top Coat is acknowledged as the world's finest top coat. Its patented formula allows it to penetrate through the nail lacquer to the base coat forming a single solid coating over the nail plate for a much more durable finish which is guaranteed not to yellow. Seche Vite is unmatched as a top coat leaving the nail silky feeling, stronger, more durable, absolutely will not chip and creates the highest gloss of any product on the market today. Apply thickly, get a nice bead on the end of the brush, then set softly down on the first nail painted and watch how Seche Vite flows over the wet nail polish self levels and will not drag or streak the underlying manicure. It takes time to master the application and when perfected it is possible to apply in only three strokes...keep trying. Seche Vite will naturally thicken so make sure to keep the neck of the bottle clean and tight at all times and if it gets stringy add a few drops of Seche Restore and roll the bottle slowly adding additional drops until consistency is fully restored.
    Sending good vibes and warm fuzzies your way..., SnowflakeGirl
    All New AMERICA'S TOP MODEL Recaps! Premiere Pt. 1 & Pt. 2, Ep. 3, Ep. 4, Dinah's Dynamite Ep. 5, Ep. 6, Ep. 7, Ep. 8, Ep. 9, Ep. 10, Ep. 11, Finale
    Relive every beautiful moment of America's Next Top Model...Click here for links to prior season recaps & interviews.

Thanks a lot, SFG.

I'll have to get looking for it in the stores. My only problem after that will be keeping it away from my mom and sister.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    One thing that took me forever to figure out - making sure my nails are clean - like no lotion or anything oily. And you can lightly buff your nails - that helps too.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast