+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: People ignoring you?

Quote Originally Posted by Shakenbake
    Don't feel bad JiffyBear- My posts are either ignored or completely picked to shreds. I don't know which is worse. And sometimes others can come along and say the same thing I said earlier and people will respond to other person's post instead. Know what I say? OH WELL. I just realized I don't fit in well here. So I just check in for Bill's Survivor writeups and other Survivor news and keep my comments to myself. Hope it's better for you here now!
    Shakenbake, if people are "picking apart your posts" as you say, then you're not being ignored. People sometimes want a friendly debate.

I do understand that it makes you feel bad when you state an opinion, and then someone else comes along and posts the same thing, and their post gets a response. It happens to me, too, but don't take it personally. I don't! It's just that there are so many posts especially in the show discussion threads like Survivor, that not everyone is going to read all the posts and/or acknowledge them. There have been times when I just read the last 2 pages of a discussion thread that has 22 pages.

I especially love to comment on Bill's Pirate report, and really enjoy reading what others have to say about the strategies. So go ahead and post your comments, and don't get discouraged if you don't get a response. I'm sure Bill and the other writers appreciate getting feedback on their articles.

BTW, welcome to the FORT!

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    ETA: Oh, and another way to make people pay attention to ya is to copy Stargazer. She is the apotheosis of the post whore. PM her for instructions and guidance.

Hey, I think I liked jedi-poster better than post whore

Honestly, though, nobody paid too much attention to me when I first starting posting either. It's just a really big forum and not for everyone. You just have to find your niche.

Think of this analogy:

You are standing in a gymnasium full of people. You know a handful and the rest are strangers. They are all shouting opinions at each other. Who do you listen to? Well, you start out listening to the handful of people you know. Then, eventually a few other people start capturing your attention and you listen to them for awhile. As your sphere of people grow that *you* listen to, the sphere of people who listen to *you* also grows. You just have to be patient and keep sharing your thoughts until someone hears them.

It's not that anyone is intentionally ignoring new (or established) posters. People just naturally listen more to people that are known to them then to people that are not. Also, sometimes the posts go by so quickly (such as when a show is on) that no one has time to respond before your post gets lost in the jumble.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Shakenbake
    Don't feel bad JiffyBear- My posts are either ignored or completely picked to shreds. I don't know which is worse. And sometimes others can come along and say the same thing I said earlier and people will respond to other person's post instead. Know what I say? OH WELL. I just realized I don't fit in well here. So I just check in for Bill's Survivor writeups and other Survivor news and keep my comments to myself. Hope it's better for you here now!
    LOL, Shakenbake! I had to laugh at your post. You're funny. Hey, we can always keep each other company!

that's a wide range of titles: from Jedi Poster to Post Whore!!! Oh, I needed that laugh, thanks nausicaa!

And I love your av, Jiffy!
    If God is a DJ--life is a dance floor
    Click here to team up with FansOfRealityTV to help fight cancer!
    Watashi wa, sekai wo kaeru.

Quote Originally Posted by nausicaa
    The best way to make people pay attention, IMO, is to start your own thread. Preferably on an incendiary topic.
    I ought to try that someday Nausicaa..... but the question is: would I be able to find something controversial around here?
    "The purpose of the new capitalism is to shoot the wounded." ~ Andy Grove, Chairman, Intel Corporation

Princess
    You are standing in a gymnasium full of people. You know a handful and the rest are strangers. They are all shouting opinions at each other. Who do you listen to? Well, you start out listening to the handful of people you know. Then, eventually a few other people start capturing your attention and you listen to them for awhile. As your sphere of people grow that *you* listen to, the sphere of people who listen to *you* also grows. You just have to be patient and keep sharing your thoughts until someone hears them.
    Interesting concept, SG.

Personally, I listen and reply to anyone who has something funny or interesting to say, whether I "know" them or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Modesty
    Interesting concept, SG.

Personally, I listen and reply to anyone who has something funny or interesting to say, whether I "know" them or not.

To clarify, I don't mean that it is intentional. I think your eyes just naturally skim over people you aren't as familiar with and 'settle' for longer on names with which you are familiar. That makes you more likely to reply to someone you *know* even if they are saying basically the same thing as someone else. This is especially true of longer posts. If I see an exceptionally long post, I might only skim the highlights of it unless its someone that I know to be funny or insightful. Then I'll take my time and read through the whole thing so as not to miss anything.
    Due to the large number of people on here, I think that it's bound to happen. However, I also said the same thing as you. You start to stumble upon other people who have something funny or interesting to say and they become part of your sphere of attention, too. Just mho and everyone may not be that way. I just think most people do it subconciously whether they mean to or not.
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."- Yoda

"I'll just see where Providence takes me and try to look like I got there confidently." - Craig Ferguson

I liked the analogy, SG.

Sometimes I'll be reading a thread and there are 20 or so new replies. So I'll read something, intend to comment on it, and by the time I've gotten to reply #19, I want to comment on something newer.

It's not intentional and I think everyone might feel ignored at some point. Just because people don't comment on every post doesn't mean people don't read them.
    If you go through a lot of hammers each month, I don't think it necessarily means you're a hard worker.
    It may just mean that you have a lot to learn about proper hammer maintenance.

hey jiffybear, I'M the histrionic around here! if anyone is being ignored, it must be me!

j/k. and welcome to the fort. look around a while. once you find a spot that interests you, you are bound to find a group that is also interested in the same things. that's a good way to spark conversations and find some fort friends.

i hope your cold has hit the road. drink lots of orange juice. eat toast.

Premium Member Yeti Long Shot: Porpoheus Champion
    Wow SG, that was very well said. That should be at the front door to the Fort, everyone should read it before entering. It would save a lot of hurt feelings. Good job!

+ Reply to Thread